1. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:421 edit
    I've mentioned this in general forum during the middle of some long threads so it didn't get much attention. But a lot of non-subs are really starting to get annoying and they get are getting such a great deal from this site for $0.00 (nothing). They rub it in all the time and say how we subs are suckers for putting up money to support this site. Its out of hand and i feel something should be done. Here was my idea, taken from the example of some other sites:

-Non-subs should not be able to post in the forums PERIOD
    -Non-subs should have a trial amount of games (20 maybe) and thats it. If they want to subscribe after the 20 game trial then congrats for them. If not, goodbye to bad rubbish
    (honestly, how many magazines does a company send you for a trial? like 2 or 3 then your done . and movie channels like HBO or starz or cinemax give a 3 day free trial every once in a while, but don't continue to give it away for free.)

There are people who have made thousands upon thousands of moves and post in the forum every day and have never given anything to support this site. I don't think that should be allowed. And so many newbies keep coming and coming and spamming up the forums. I know they are not allowed in clans and tournaments, but they still have far to many rights for free and even they know it. they are getting very annoying (i'm just saying what i know alot of you have been thinking). down to the non-subs!!
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:46
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    I've mentioned this in general forum during the middle of some long threads so it didn't get much attention. But a lot of non-subs are really starting to get annoying and they get are getting such a great deal from this site for $0.00 (nothing). They rub it in all the time and say how we subs are suckers for putting up money to support this site. Its o ...[text shortened]... y annoying (i'm just saying what i know alot of you have been thinking). down to the non-subs!!
    When did you subscribe?
  3. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:48
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    When did you subscribe?
    end of september. i started playing some games in may, at the end of the school year, i am a teacher. i went away for the summer. when school resumed again i started playing again and subscribed
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:58
    I've mentioned this in general forum during the middle of some long threads so it didn't get much attention. But a lot of non-subs are really starting to get annoying and they get are getting such a great deal from this site for $0.00 (nothing). They rub it in all the time and say how we subs are suckers for putting up money to support this site. Its o ...[text shortened]... y annoying (i'm just saying what i know alot of you have been thinking). down to the non-subs!!
    Those who make thousands upon thousands of moves do contribute something. Those who stop at 1000, less so.
  5. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 18:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Those who make thousands upon thousands of moves do contribute something. Those who stop at 1000, less so.
    and what exactly do they do to support the site?
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:08
    To the quality of the chess, often to the quality of the forums, and generally to making this such a big and successful site, ultimtately attracting more people.

There is no real connection between being a sub (or not) and spamming, or writing stupid posts. If spam is a problem, attack the spammer - sub or not. The user most often accused of spamming is a sub.

I'm personally only still a non-sub because I can't find a way to pay that is acceptable to me; I don't have a credit card and don't want to patronise Paypal. But the current restrictions on non-subs are about right. If there is an argument for restricting the forums to subs only it is not that subs are more likely to be idiots or spammers. There are ways of dealing with that (ignore the post, ban the poster). It can only be that forums are judged part of the RHP product that people are willing to pay for, and that Russ considers it economic to do so.
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:23
    Originally posted by dottewell
    To the quality of the chess, often to the quality of the forums, and generally to making this such a big and successful site, ultimtately attracting more people.

There is no real connection between being a sub (or not) and spamming, or writing stupid posts. If spam is a problem, attack the spammer - sub or not. The user most often accused of spamming is ...[text shortened]... he RHP product that people are willing to pay for, and that Russ considers it economic to do so.
    you missed my point, the forums are only a small basis for my thoughts against non-subs, but just happened to be the reason that i finally got so annoyed
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:23
    Get over yourself.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:58
    Congratulations on joining the parade of fools. Your proposal does not offer any benefit the site as a business; if everyone got to ban members that they found 'annoying', then the forums would be vacant. Killing participation in the site is always good for business! 🙄
  10. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:58
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Get over yourself.
    you have to be kidding me darv. you know there are a lot of people who think the same thing, it has nothing to do with me and how cocky i am. there was no arrogance in what i said, just truth.

-and its pretty tough to get over me, i just can't do it 😛
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:00
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Congratulations on joining the parade of fools. Your proposal does not offer any benefit the site as a business; if everyone got to ban members that they found 'annoying', then the forums would be vacant. Killing participation in the site is always good for business! 🙄
    its not about banning you freeloading fool. its about pay-up or leave. nothing in life is free, except the woman that brought you into this world
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:06
    It is easy to distinguish between non-subs and subs in the forums. Many postulate that non-subs are the cause of much of the drivel present in the forums. It is likely true that there is a higher proportion of that coming from non-subs however, this is no reason to ban non-subs from posting altogether.

When someone bought my sub out of the blue did I immediately become a better poster? I was still the same, but now I had a star. I have always aimed to add something to the forums and the community of RHP. There are plenty of non-subs who are just the same way. Some will eventually subscribe, other won't. Live with it.

The restrictions non-subs have now seem about right to me. They can play 6 games, enough to play against people they know in real life, a few games from the site (offers or rematches) and not much else. No tournaments, no sieges, no clans, no arriving home from the weekend to 89 games waiting (😞). Subscribing has plenty of advantages over being a non-sub and when my subscription comes up I will be resubscribing for another year, to me $30 is a small price to pay for a year's worth of chess. But others they just want to discuss chess and other topics and play a few games. They get the functionality they want without subscribing. If they couldn't get it here they'd go elsewhere. And the RHP community would lose out.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:141 edit
    its not about banning you freeloading fool. its about pay-up or leave. nothing in life is free, except the woman that brought you into this world
    I never really understand subs trying to get a smaller package for non-subs. In the end of the day, Russ runs the site and he is happy for non-subs to play on indefinitely. If circumstances should come about that mean that non-subs are costing the site, then he may change his policies as he has done a few times over the past.

What do you lose by having non-subs here? Have a look outside the top 5 pages of the players tables, and see the proportion of non-subs on this site.

I commend Russ for providing a great service for free to people around the world, including places where $30 may be a month's wage. Good stuff.

The only restrictions I'd support on non-subs would be 0 moves, 0 games in progress people not being able to post. Also, some further rule so that the problem is not sidestepped by starting a game, making a couple of moves and spamming/advertising, then abandoning the site and game in progress.

D
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:281 edit
    Some of them keep six games going.

Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The only restrictions I'd support on non-subs would be 0 moves, 0 games in progress people not being able to post.

Once their games in progress end, give them a week to get another going, or bye-bye.
  15. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:29
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I never really understand subs trying to get a smaller package for non-subs. In the end of the day, Russ runs the site and he is happy for non-subs to play on indefinitely. If circumstances should come about that mean that non-subs are costing the site, then he may change his policies as he has done a few times over the past.

What do you lose by having ...[text shortened]... a couple of moves and spamming/advertising, then abandoning the site and game in progress.

D
    I dunno. i guess you guys have been aroung long enough to know the situation better than me. I'm just tired of the freeloaders and that they openly admit it. I'm sure Russ is happy with the site and so am I, he and the others do a great job running it. It has just seemed that the non-subs have been worse the past week or two and i wanted to say something that i know others have said and agreed with before. i still think there should be a limit as to how long a non-sub can be involved here before having to pull a couple dollars out and support the site. if they can afford the computer to get to the site, they can afford the site. I'm not telling russ or anyone what to do, its the site ideas forum. if you like the idea, then rec it as 3 people already did, and i could guess who they are (thanks to those people), if you don't like it I really don't care. its just an idea is all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree