1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 23:29
    at the moment we have 8 forum mods.

TimmyToilet and belgianfreak haven't moved or posted in the forums for ages...i seriously doubt they're reading any of the junk in the forums either....two people who are not regularly on the site shouldn't be mods.

!~TONY~! is about but only posts in the chess forum and not that often...i can't see him making much of an effort to read the forums for moderation but i might be wrong.

Flash....who i've never even heard of hasn't posted in any forum for over a year...

since august 2007 Rhymester has made 2 forum posts.

these people could be reading through some posts but its highly unlikely, we should have mods that are at least a little active in the forums.

then we have the 3 most active mods...Phlabibit, Crowley and catfoodtim.

with Phlabibit and Crowley not the most popular bunnies at the moment Thread 104631 Thread 104560 and with catfoodtims sanity under scrutiny for moving to ireland voluntarily i think its time we revised the moderation team.

i propose all 8 of them be striped of their duties and a vote conducted for a new moderation team. like the game mod team vote a while back everyone interested to be a mod put their names forward and everyone on the site gets a couple of votes with the top 8 becoming mods.

obviously Russ would be able to veto anyone he doesn't like.
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 02:21
    Originally posted by trev33

TimmyToilet and belgianfreak haven't moved or posted in the forums for ages...i seriously doubt they're reading any of the junk in the forums either....two people who are not regularly on the site shouldn't be mods.

!~TONY~! is about but only posts in the chess forum and not that often...i can't see him making much of ...[text shortened]... the top 8 becoming mods.

I disagree with mods being stripped of their posts, but i do agree that a few more wouldn't hurt at all. Moderation of these forums should take place outside the forums (as far as possible), all these slanging matches have been ugly and i'm surprised to see mods getting involved with them so openly, it seems to fly in the face of their stated purpose, ie to keep the forums clean of swearing and trolling. Perhaps a couple of fresh faces would be good for the site (though there could be a danger of over moderation if there are loads...)
  3. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 02:52
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I disagree with mods being stripped of their posts, but i do agree that a few more wouldn't hurt at all. Moderation of these forums should take place outside the forums (as far as possible), all these slanging matches have been ugly and i'm surprised to see mods getting involved with them so openly, it seems to fly in the face of their stated purpose, ie ...[text shortened]... be good for the site (though there could be a danger of over moderation if there are loads...)
    We should only have two forum moderators; Korch and Jie. For added fun we could put in Seitse and GB.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 12:372 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I disagree with mods being stripped of their posts, but i do agree that a few more wouldn't hurt at all. Moderation of these forums should take place outside the forums (as far as possible), all these slanging matches have been ugly and i'm surprised to see mods getting involved with them so openly, it seems to fly in the face of their stated purpose, ie ...[text shortened]... be good for the site (though there could be a danger of over moderation if there are loads...)
    Just a few quick comments:

1) Mods are subscribers, just like anyone, but some users feel we should not openly state our opinions, as some people may disagree with them.
    This is bull in my opinion. One of the criteria for being 'appopinted' a mod was that we are regular forum users. If I'm not allowed to post what I want, why would I use the forums? And then why would I volunteer to keep the forums running?

2) There is an 'element' in the forums that is trying to destabilize the system, because they are cry-babies who got on the wrong side of the ToS some times. Most people 'take it on the chin and move on'. Other weak-minded, self-righteous users with a superiority complex feel humiliated by it and then hold a grudge.
    These users are now trying to get the mods to publicly lose control with their incessant trolling, insults and personal attacks in order to discredit a few of the mods and possibly "change the system".
    Why should I not defend myself in these situations?

3) Maybe Russ made a mistake and should have kept Mods anonymous?
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 12:43

!~TONY~! is about but only posts in the chess forum and not that often...i can't see him making much of ...[text shortened]... the top 8 becoming mods.

You don't know how the moderation system works, so please don't make assumptions about the relative activity of specific mods.

Posting in the forums has no bearing on moderation activity.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 13:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 14:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Agree.

Forum Moderators have power. Ony Russ should handle out this power based of confidence. A voting procedure is not apropriate here.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 19:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree.

Forum Moderators have power. Ony Russ should handle out this power based of confidence. A voting procedure is not apropriate here.
    Based on that logic, there shouldn't be any votes on any subject here at all.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 19:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What qualities make "someone who can do the job" of Forum Moderator?
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 19:281 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What qualities make "someone who can do the job" of Forum Moderator?
    Tolerate you and not treat everything you say as an attack?

P-
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 19:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Tolerate you and not treat everything you say as an attack?

P-
    Then a few of the existing Mods are obviously unqualified.
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 20:00

An excellent idea!
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 20:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Then a few of the existing Mods are obviously unqualified.
    I don't see anything of yours removed in a week, and you have not been warned about anything since April.

Granted, you may have participated in a thread or 4 where cheaters were named.

P-
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 21:11
    I don't see anything of yours removed in a week, and you have not been warned about anything since April.

P-
    Obviously the meds are TOO strong.
  15. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 00:24

P-
    So you accept the accusations were true

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree