1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:42
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    What are you still doing here? You've in the past said that 'correspondence isn't proper chess'.
    Yup one more reason for me not to subscribe. If you read an article on Chessbase not long ago it showed how people :-

- play in OTB chess (slow as well as blitz)
    - play against their computers and fiddle settings or press pause
    - play online blitz
    - play correspondence chess

While correspondence chess is "on the menu", it is a low priority for reasons which I've expressed in the past. A true correspondence chess is seriouly weak in OTB chess particulary if they use databases/opening books/analysis boards (allowed on this site) and engines(disallowed here but allowed by the ICC).
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:48
    Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
    These ideas you have that I am spamming the forums and playing with multiple accounts reverberate only within your own cranial echo-chamber. And that of Caro Kan, a proven spammer, engine-user, and multiple account holder himself.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46735
    I have not directly accused anyone of engine or multiple account use which are forbiden on RHP. I have however said that the "possibility is raised" ...mark my words. The prospect of playing 100 or more games simultaneously as a subscriber also raises the possibilty of compromising the RHP rules as in some high profile cases.

You may not know that cheating accusations are not allowed on RHP.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:521 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:53
    Originally posted by z00t
    Yup one more reason for me not to subscribe. If you read an article on Chessbase not long ago it showed how people :-

- play in OTB chess (slow as well as blitz)
    - play against their computers and fiddle settings or press pause
    - play online blitz
    - play correspondence chess

While correspondence chess is "on the menu", it is a low priority for reasons ...[text shortened]... s/analysis boards (allowed on this site) and engines(disallowed here but allowed by the ICC).
    And yet you never explained why OTB chess is the standard against which other types are measured.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:551 edit
    And that of Caro Kan, a proven spammer, engine user, and multiple account holder himself.
    If that is proven, why is it that he is still playing here ?

And as he is still here, it is considered unacceptable to make accusations against him in the forums.
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:022 edits
    And yet you never explained why OTB chess is the standard against which other types are measured.
    Because tournament conditions are the same for Steinitz who played 100 years ago as they are now. Would you compare a drug assisted Olympian of today with the old runners of the past. If you are playing by consulting databases/opening books on RHP but go to the chess open down the road and get hammered by juniours because you cannot work out some opening line; then who is fooling who?
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:121 edit
    Because tournament conditions are the same for Steinitz who played 100 years ago as they are now. Would you compare a drug assisted Olympian of today with the old runners of the past. If you are playing by consulting databases/opening books on RHP but go to the chess open down the road and get hammered by juniours because you cannot work out some opening line; [b]then who is fooling who?[b/]
    [/b]But tournament conditions aren't the same. Preferred time controls in classical chess have changed even in the last 10 years. And let's not forget the ever so often changes of the 50 move rule from hard to soft and back again.
  9. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:254 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    If that is [b]proven, why is it that he is still playing here ?

And as he is still here, it is considered unacceptable to make accusations against him in the forums.[/b]
    Premise: Caro Kan is Michael Boyd, a known spammer.
    Premise: mikexx2020 (aka Santa Drummer) was banned for using multiple accounts.
    Premise: Wibble Wobble was banned for engine use.

Claim: Caro Kan is mikexx2020.
    Claim: Caro Kan is Wibble Wobble.

Proof: http://tinyurl.com/g9zyh

QED

Funny, I haven't seen him around for a few days.
    Fittingly, he puts his occupation as 'Nothing'.

10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:30
    However the world classical chess champion can compare himself to Steinitz more than the world chess correspondence champion. I know FIDE murked up the controls to rapid chess in an attempt to make chess like Tennis.

Until you know the game/theory/opening/migdlegame/ending without outside help you are only cheating yourself. This is like the view that Western Hemisphere players cannot play chess in its entirety but end up as 1.e4 players or just rapid game players never achieving their true potential.

The KKs went to the Botvinnik school of chess where they learnt to play chess the way it should be played, not in the half-baked microwave-oven-style players of today.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:40
    However the world classical chess champion can compare himself to Steinitz more than the world chess correspondence champion. I know FIDE murked up the controls to rapid chess in an attempt to make chess like Tennis.

[b]Until you know the game/theory/opening/migdlegame/ending without outside help you are only cheating yourself.
    This is like the view that ...[text shortened]... s the way it should be played, not in the half-baked microwave-oven-style players of today. [/b][/b]
    So your entire argument is an appeal to tradition?
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 16:47
    So your entire argument is an appeal to tradition?
    No its not about tradition but learning to play chess for the purpose it was intended - as a game of strategy not who has the latest opening database.

For example search google for "indian takeaway" and "British Championship" and tell me why such highly ranked UK players would object to the Brit Championship being open to the Commonwealth - The answer as you may have guessed it was lowly or unranked Indian players would sweep the highly ranked Brits and walk (take away) the prizes on offer. Who is playing chess as its supposed to be played?
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 19:32
    No its not about tradition but learning to play chess for the purpose it was intended - as a game of strategy not who has the latest opening database.
    That is an appeal to tradition.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 16:27

Proof: http://tinyurl.com/g9zyh

Interesting. 😲
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 14:39
    That is an appeal to tradition.
    Not an appeal to tradition its about the stuff between your ears not who has the fattest database with millions of openings. If we wanted to see computer vs computer contests there are plenty of those around including some you can enter your own brand in.

After all anyone can leach the work of modern day grandmasters by simply consulting their opening books and databases. Is this your real chess ability?

Why does the IOC strip from the records those who have used performance enhancing substances - we do not want to see who has taken the most steroids - its about sportmanship, gamesmanship and competitiveness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree