1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:04
    Originally posted by z00t
    Not an appeal to tradition its about [b]the stuff between your ears not who has the fattest database with millions of openings. If we wanted to see computer vs computer contests there are plenty of those around including some you can enter your own brand in.

After all anyone can leach the work of modern day grandmasters by simply consulting their ...[text shortened]... has taken the most steroids - its about sportmanship, gamesmanship and competitiveness.[/b]
    We shouldn't allow Grandmasters to memorize openings and use other player's novelties. Did you know they use seconds to research lines for them now? That's just not right is it? Chess should be about what's between your ears on the day not who can prepare the best.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Chess should be about what's between your ears on the day not who can prepare the best.
    Well said - I agree.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:37
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Well said - I agree.
    Too bad I was being sarcastic.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 17:30
    Too bad I was being sarcastic.
    Really?
    I would never have guessed. 🙄
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 17:571 edit
    We shouldn't allow Grandmasters to memorize openings and use other player's novelties. Did you know they use seconds to research lines for them now? That's just not right is it? Chess should be about what's between your ears on the day not who can prepare the best.
    Is that how you do it during your games at RHP? Do you consult opening books and databases? What products do you use? What is your OTB rating?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 20:06
    Is that how you do it during your games at RHP? Do you consult opening books and databases? What products do you use? What is your OTB rating?
    If you think that chess, even over-the-board, doesn't rely heavily on memorization, you're kidding yourself.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 20:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 23:53
    What if a new user needs help?
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 03:28
    No I use databases and books to my advantage whenever I get the chance. Why wouldn't I? They are allowed in the rules?
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 12:26
    As soon as I started using databases I realised that almost everyone else I played (above say 1500) was doing the same.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 08:59
    Originally posted by dottewell
    As soon as I started using databases I realised that almost everyone else I played (above say 1500) was doing the same.
    I quickly realised the same - tho' I don't use databases yet. [or books]

[or engines - obviously]
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 17:25
    I would not think it would be a concidence if the World Open alleged cheats play correspondence chess. Its a little harder to do what they do in CC chess, in tournament chess.

Tourney chess involves preparation and lots of adrenalin, particularly when you find the clock ticking like a time bomb, you are facing an massive attack and the spectators have crowded around your table. Psk this must be a foreign experience to most of you round here.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 18:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '06 13:36
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Are you against subscribers playing more than 100 simultaneous games? If so, why?
    I'm not against anyone subscriber or non-subscriber playing more than 100 simultaneous games. If you have ever seen a grandmaster simul you will note they take on much lower opposition and then play many games bashing them easily. However GM vs. GM contests are different and you never see real GMs taking on more than one serious opponent. The amount of planning and energy required for each game is very high.

In correspondence chess one has to play and go to work/school etc so the amount of time spent on each game is very small. Thus simultaneous games can be taken on while waiting for one's opponents. However 100 simultaneous serious games is too high given that you need to get on with your life as well as play decent games of chess. If you are ranked 2000 at RHP you can easily take on 100 opponents ranked 1200-1500. However 100 simul games given your opposition are within 100 Elo points of you is an eye-raiser.
  15. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '06 18:36
    However GM vs. GM contests are different and you never see real GMs taking on more than one serious opponent.
    Kasparov has taken on and beaten Olympiad teams in clock simuls.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree