The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
24 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by mrmist
Another bug. There's no "Post new thread" button in forums.

At thread level I get the forum badge, then it should be Forum list then New thread. Instead it's thread list, forum list, etc. No new thread anywhere.
I just came here to point that out as well. Here is a screenshot Russ.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/Freddie2004/rhpbug5.jpg

Edit: I put a typo in "screenshot" 😳 you can guess what.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
If I open a game, there are often some pieces missing, and they only pop up when I click on the board. Pieces also often disappear from the game page when I open the analyze board, and again only reappear when I go back to the page and click on the board.
After I have made a move, it has now happened several times that some pieces are gone (or that the pieces which are gone don't show up in the list under the board) and don't even reappear when clicking on the board, or when refreshing the page.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
24 Jan 06

After I have made a move, it has now happened several times that some pieces are gone (or that the pieces which are gone don't show up in the list under the board) and don't even reappear when clicking on the board, or when refreshing the page.
😕 hasn't happened to me once. It's probably Opera's fault 😛

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Freddie2006
😕 hasn't happened to me once. It's probably Opera's fault 😛
Quite possibly... But as I said, it doesn't happen with the old board.

s

Moves
25 Jan 06
2 edits

Originally posted by mrmist
It's XP Prof, SP2, using IE 6.0.2900.2180 at 1280x1024.

For those unable to reproduce it, a sample screengrab is at

http://www.misthaven.org.uk/blog/pics/chessmenu.jpg

It really isn't a great big deal, but it looks odd.
It's always been that way in IE. Certain form objects (such as the listbox) are always rendered on top of everything else, no matter what the programmer does. Layers (such as the popupmenu) can't be made to appear above listboxes, and thus you will have to live with it (unless Russ decides to replan the layout so that the popupmenu and the formobject won't occupy the same space).

A tip is to switch to a standards compliant browser, such as Firefox or Opera. Also, the mighty giant has promised that the next version of IE will be more standards compliant. Perhaps then, this issue will also get fixed.

[Edit: Another solution for Russ, would be to hide the formobject when the menu opens using javascript, but it seems like overkill.]

t

Not here

Moves
25 Jan 06
1 edit

s

Moves
25 Jan 06

Quite possibly... But as I said, it doesn't happen with the old board.
This is probably the repaint bug in Opera showing its dreaded face. If you minimize your window and restore it, the pieces should be visible again.

In Opera 9 this problem will have been fixed. The reason for this being a problem with the new board and not with the previous could be that Russ has relied more heavily on CSS and/or javascript. But the exact details as to why the problem occurr escapes me at the moment (haven't been coding interfaces a lot lately). But the problem is probably a bug in Opera 8.

s

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
Uhm, I just resigned a game I was loosing miserably. I gave a "good game" end speach, with a smiley to step away from the board with a little dignity left.

But...

...the game is still on. :

You might want to look into that one. 🙂
This is odd. I couldn't resign the game in the old interface either. :

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
25 Jan 06

So I take it the second group (which I assume includes myself) has not been given the new code to test? Cause of the faults so far? yes?

s

Moves
25 Jan 06

This is odd. I couldn't resign the game in the old interface either. :
U-hum. Forget that. Don't know what happened, but this time I resigned and it worked (in the old interface - don't know about the beta).

???

m
Moo

UK

Moves
25 Jan 06

This one looks like some kind of bug with the redraw.

http://www.misthaven.org.uk/blog/pics/rhpbug.jpg

basically this was my last game in the list, so it stayed on the page after I made my move. The problem is that the pawn move was only shown in green, but the pawn itself had not moved. If I look at the game now the pieces are correct, the problem was only in the screen immediately after making the move.

It may be reproducable by setting move pref to stay on current game, but I have no active games awaiting moves at the moment so can't prove it.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
25 Jan 06

the "last move" error seems to happen each time you move in your last game, the screen does not draw the moved piece properly.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Freddie2006
I just came here to point that out as well. Here is a screenshot Russ.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/Freddie2004/rhpbug5.jpg

Edit: I put a typo in "screenshot" 😳 you can guess what.
Thanks guys. I worked on the forum button bar the day before releasing the beta, hence this silly problem (no excuse, really)

'New thread' button is now available when reading a thread too.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

It's always been that way in IE. Certain form objects (such as the listbox) are always rendered on top of everything else, no matter what the programmer does. Layers (such as the popupmenu) can't be made to appear above listboxes, and thus you will have to live with it (unless Russ decides to replan the layout so that the popupmenu and the formobject won't o ...[text shortened]... be to hide the formobject when the menu opens using javascript, but it seems like overkill.]
Yes, there will be no fix this. The trick, as you say, is to hide the form when elements are rendered over it - but I hate messy hacks like that.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I'm not finding the "action" system very intuitive.

Game navigation adds to the action list, but if I'm at the current position (say move 20), and click Back to the original position. Then, if I undo that action, The board is at the move 20, but the game navigator is at the start of the game, if you get me.

D
I have changed the text for the action links. (Chris was also confused by the interface and suggested the changes.)

-Russ