The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
Not exactly high priority, but I got a PHP parsing error when attempting to create a new folder for my games:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ',' in /var/www/redhotpawn.com/mygames/editgamesfolder.php on line 72

Other than that, I'm having no problems at all so far. It's great, Russ! 🙂
This is a biggy! Now fixed.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
A couple of things so far.

Not really bugs, I don't think.

1) Before, in My Games, games where it is my turn to move were bolded. I preferred that presentation
2) If you are at the start of a game in the analyse board screen, and you keep clicking back, then the action count keeps increasing. Same if you're at the end of a game and click forward. book on your move without making a move. :'(

That's it for now. Its looking well.

D
1) I have 're-bolded' that.
2) Interesting problem, I will look at that.
3) Yeah, I know. 😳 I will also look at that before go live. It should not be a big deal.

Thanks,

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

This is probably the repaint bug in Opera showing its dreaded face. If you minimize your window and restore it, the pieces should be visible again.

In Opera 9 this problem will have been fixed. The reason for this being a problem with the new board and not with the previous could be that Russ has relied more heavily on CSS and/or javascript. But the exact ...[text shortened]... nt (haven't been coding interfaces a lot lately). But the problem is probably a bug in Opera 8.
The new code is very CSS/javascript heavy. I do test with Opera (currently Win 8.51) but I have not seen this issue.

As stocken says, do try just minimising/expanding and resizing your window. I would be very interested if forcing the browser to repaint fixes the problem.

As a little aside, before go live, I will be messaging all active users to upgrade their browsers if possible. This is only a precaution, but in cases like Opera, older versions will not work at all well. And there is no point in letting support for some antiquated browser versions stop progress.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Chakan
So I take it the second group (which I assume includes myself) has not been given the new code to test? Cause of the faults so far? yes?
Yes, you are in the second group. I will message you, probably tomorrow, with details on how to access the beta system.
Thanks for your patience.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

U-hum. Forget that. Don't know what happened, but this time I resigned and it worked (in the old interface - don't know about the beta).

???
On the new interface, were you resigning on your move, or your opponents? What browser/version? Thanks.

-Russ

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Russ
Yes, you are in the second group. I will message you, probably tomorrow, with details on how to access the beta system.
Thanks for your patience.

-Russ
Cool cool no worries

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Jan 06

I just noticed that game names are now publically viewable.

I'm not sure if it is a great idea to show old game names now. I have a couple of, ahem, creatively named games which wouldn't be called what they were if I thought that Jo Public apart from my opponent was going to see them.

D

A

Moves
25 Jan 06

Yes, there will be no fix this. The trick, as you say, is to hide the form when elements are rendered over it - but I hate messy hacks like that.

-Russ
A neater solution is to create an iframe element and use zorder to position it exactly under the menu - for some reason the select elements don't show through the iframe and the iframe doesn't show through the menu (no idea why that should be!).

I believe you're using the menus from brainjar.com? - the fix is just a few lines of JS:

http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/menubar/default11.asp

A bit of a hack, but better than unsightly transparent menus in IE... and *much* better than making forms disappear whenever a menu drops down (yeuch)!

s

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by AustinL
and *much* better than making forms disappear whenever a menu drops down (yeuch)!
Of course, the best solution of all is to encourage people to drop IE in favor of Firefox.

You're right though, making formelements disappear when opening menus is a gastly construction. Personally, I wouldn't bother at all with this problem. But if I would, I like the hack you linked to. Good one. Haven't seen that before. 🙂

N

Moves
25 Jan 06

I am very pleased to learn that your new board code includes a 'flip board' facility.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

I just noticed that game names are now publically viewable.

I'm not sure if it is a great idea to show old game names now. I have a couple of, ahem, creatively named games which wouldn't be called what they were if I thought that Jo Public apart from my opponent was going to see them.

D
Good point. I'll make sure that doesn't make it to the live version.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrmist
the "last move" error seems to happen each time you move in your last game, the screen does not draw the moved piece properly.
Bingo! When set to view next game, and you move on your last game, you see this issue.

Thanks, I can easily solve this.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by AustinL
A neater solution is to create an iframe element and use zorder to position it exactly under the menu - for some reason the select elements don't show through the iframe and the iframe doesn't show through the menu (no idea why that should be!).

I believe you're using the menus from brainjar.com? - the fix is just a few lines of JS:

http://www.brainjar ...[text shortened]... us in IE... and *much* better than making forms disappear whenever a menu drops down (yeuch)!
Hey, a spy! 🙂

Cheers Austin, that is interesting. I'll take a look.

-Russ

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
25 Jan 06

I have changed the text for the action links. (Chris was also confused by the interface and suggested the changes.)

-Russ
Its great that this facility is now there, and its an admirable first attempt, but it just doesn't feel intuitive.

I believe that the actions need to be listed, ala the Game History Navigation, for it to be really useful. I find I just get confused now when the pieces are hopping all over the place, and I have no idea what the action was. This is made much worse by the fact that the History Navigator doesn't update inline with the action buttons.

Have you tried looking at how chesspad deals with different variations? Its extremely user friendly and intuitive. Check it out http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html

D

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Its great that this facility is now there, and its an admirable first attempt, but it just doesn't feel intuitive.

I believe that the actions need to be listed, ala the Game History Navigation, for it to be really useful. I find I just get confused now when the pieces are hopping all over the place, and I have no idea what the action was. This is made ...[text shortened]... emely user friendly and intuitive. Check it out http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html

D
No, but I will.

-Russ