The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Russ
Strange this, because I changed from an alternative way of popping up that menu when it didn't work well in Opera.

And now I can see myself that right clicking in Opera doesn't work.

Grrrr.

-Russ
Ok, as an alternative, double clicking the board now brings up contextual menus. Opera have stated themselves they will never support right click (or contextual click events.)

-Russ

s

Moves
25 Jan 06
1 edit

Strange this, because I changed from an alternative way of popping up that menu when it didn't work well in Opera.

And now I can see myself that right clicking in Opera doesn't work.

Grrrr.

-Russ
The opera team really wants to avoid letting javascripts override the default contextmenu, so they made this especially hard for you. You should think twice before modifying the inherent behaviour of a browser. In this case, your popupmenu is just too good to miss out on, though. πŸ™‚

Nordlys should go to tools->settings->display->javascript alternatives and check the box next to the text "allow scripts to capture right mouse button" (or something like that - I'm using the swedish version of Opera).

And your script must use the event handler onmousedown and look at the e.which property. If it's greater than one it's probably a right mouse click. Here's a simple example:

document.getElementById('test'πŸ˜‰.onmousedown = function(e) {
if ( e.which > 1 ) {
alert('right click!'πŸ˜‰;
return false;
}
}

I'm sure you can incorporate this into your own script using the classical browser detection type (or even better, using a DOM detector).

Hope it helps. πŸ™‚

[Edit: Oh, I see you've solved the problem with double-click. Smart. πŸ™‚ Just forget this post then.]

N

The sky

Moves
25 Jan 06

Ok, as an alternative, double clicking the board now brings up contextual menus. Opera have stated themselves they will never support right click (or contextual click events.)

-Russ
Thanks, that works nicely (although I am not sure what I want with all those kings πŸ™„).

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
The opera team really wants to avoid letting javascripts override the default contextmenu, so they made this especially hard for you. You should think twice before modifying the inherent behaviour of a browser. In this case, your popupmenu is just too good to miss out on, though. πŸ™‚

Nordlys should go to tools->settings->display->javascript alternatives an ...[text shortened]... you've solved the problem with double-click. Smart. πŸ™‚ Just forget this post then.]
Yes, double click is fine because it will help out single button Mac users too. So either option will work at all times on IE or Firefox.

Thanks for your input though.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Bingo! When set to view next game, and you move on your last game, you see this issue.

Thanks, I can easily solve this.

-Russ
This is now fixed.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
Nordlys should go to tools->settings->display->javascript alternatives and check the box next to the text "allow scripts to capture right mouse button" (or something like that - I'm using the swedish version of Opera).
"Tillat skript å reagere på høyreklikk". πŸ™‚ Anyway, that was already enabled. But the double-click solution works just as well.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrmist
i agree. It would be nice if the text "This game has finished. xxxxxx wins" was bold.
I have re-arranged some elements in the side bar when viewing a game history and also bolded the winning text.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Also, you know the way the timeout/timebank info can be a bit screwy in a finished game? Doesn't it make sense to remove the time controls box in the game history page? I don't see of what value it can be in a dead game.
I just need to fix the relatively simple problem regarding timebanks and completed games. And this is as good a reason as any to get it sorted out.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 Jan 06

If you are at the start of a game in the analyse board screen, and you keep clicking back, then the action count keeps increasing. Same if you're at the end of a game and click forward. If the action count only incremented when an action actually does something, it would be nicer.
Now fixed.

-Russ

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
25 Jan 06

Resigning when it is not your turn does not allow one to enter a message for the opponent as one could do when it is ones turn to move..

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Jan 06

I don't think I understand the system by which pieces disappear from the "taken pieces" box when you place a new piece on the board.

For example, if I place a new rook on the board, while the taken pieces show bishop, knight and 3 pawns, then one of the pawns disappears from taken pieces.

It seems quite arbitrary whats happening, so I'm not sure if that's working right.

D

j
nice one

bed, chair or floor

Moves
26 Jan 06

pieces disappear from the "taken pieces" box when you place a new piece on the board.
For example, if I place a new rook on the board, while the taken pieces show bishop, knight and 3 pawns, then one of the pawns disappears from taken pieces.
D[/b]
The "lost" pawn should be added insteadπŸ˜›

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jan 06

I don't think I understand the system by which pieces disappear from the "taken pieces" box when you place a new piece on the board.

It seems quite arbitrary whats happening, so I'm not sure if that's working right.

D
Yes, it's quite weird. Another example, if I have two bishops on the board, then promote one pawn to a bishop, then take one of the other bishops, the taken piece will be shown as a pawn. If I have one bishop on the board and the other one is taken, and I then promote a pawn to a bishop, the taken bishop will be transformed into a pawn.

Most of the time I can predict now what's going to happen, but even if there is a principle, it doesn't make much sense in terms of usefulness.

j
nice one

bed, chair or floor

Moves
26 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Nordlys
promote one pawn to a bishop, then take one of the other bishops, the taken piece will be shown as a pawn.
I then promote a pawn to a bishop, the taken bishop will be transformed into a pawn.
even if there is a principle,
Of course. This way you can see who is really up material compared with the starting position where both sides are equal. If it would show a bishop the taken pieces would not truly represent who is ahead material on the board.

s

Moves
26 Jan 06

Just wanted to let you know. I love the animated castling and en passant features. πŸ™‚

I just made a kingside castling. First I got spooked thinking I actually made the move (when in fact I just clicked around a little). Now? I'm happy. πŸ™‚