1. Groningen
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 18:05
    Isn't it possible to upgrade this great site with a somewhat more advanced 'your move' notification. For example a small toolbar which starts blinking when it's your turn? Or any other inventive solution? I think this would be a very handy extension. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
  2. Joined
    14 Jan '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '05 23:15
    YES! Exactly what I came to the forum to suggest...
    I just moved here from a site called gameknot.com, which kept giving me cookie errors. This site seems vastly superior in every way, except that they had available, as a free download, an IE toolbar which allowed for easy site access and logon, and flashed when you had a game awaiting your attention. Something like that would be great.
  3. Joined
    05 Aug '04
    Moves
    27 Jan '05 23:50
    So did 'cookie error' flash as well?😵
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 00:05
    Originally posted by cyruslyons
    I just moved here from a site called gameknot.com, which kept giving me cookie errors. This site seems vastly superior in every way, except that they had available, as a free download, an IE toolbar which allowed for easy site access and logon, and flashed when you had a game awaiting your attention. Something like that would be great.
    Russ said he that he needed exactly 2 more subscriptions before he could afford to implement a toolbar.

; D

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Characters and events depicted in this post do not exist, and any similarities with real life characters and/or events are strictly coincidental.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 03:44
    Originally posted by cyruslyons
    I (like many sensible people) use firefox. I don't know if an IE toolbar would be any use to me. I'm quite happy with leaving Chessatwork in a background tab and refreshing it every once in a while.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 03:49
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Russ said he that he needed exactly 2 more subscriptions before he could afford to implement a toolbar.
    LMFAO!
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 09:58
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    ...I'm quite happy with leaving Chessatwork in a background tab and refreshing it every once in a while.
    I don't know if Russ likes to read that: you cause traffic to the server that way...
    th
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 10:00
    Originally posted by mikkip
    Isn't it possible to upgrade this great site with a somewhat more advanced 'your move' notification. For example a small toolbar which starts blinking when it's your turn? Or any other inventive solution? I think this would be a very handy extension. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
    I dont think it could be THAT difficult to create a icon that flashes in the taskbar next to any other icon - and when clicked goes to your games. YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA - WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO DOWNLOAD😏
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 13:433 edits
    This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the traffic now due to some optimisations made since the original implementation.

You must have .net installed if you want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ
  10. Internet
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 14:55
    Originally posted by Russ
    This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the t ...[text shortened]... u want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ
    Will you make the code or only the program available? I'd like to toy with a similar thing for OS X some time.
  11. Joined
    12 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 15:241 edit
    I also use Firefox and installed a "reload"extension from:

[edit: Russ]

It works well!
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 16:251 edit
    Please do not use this.

Loading an entire page is very wasteful, and there is no 'back off mechanism' for this plug in. For example, with an always-on connection you could go away for the weekend and still thrash our site.

A massive waste of resources.

-Russ
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 22:21
    Originally posted by hahabe
    I also use Firefox and installed a "reload"extension from:

[edit: Russ]

It works well!
    Just turn on move notification emails and use filters to put them all into a folder where they don't fill up your inbox and u can mass delete once in a while. With gmail/hotmail/yahoo, you can have system tray progs to notify u when u receive a move, so basically the notify of move system already exists.

D
  14. Joined
    12 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 08:54
    [b]Please do not use this.

Loading an entire page is very wasteful, and there is no 'back off mechanism' for this plug in. For example, with an always-on connection you could go away for the weekend and still thrash our site.

-Russ
    [/b]
    [b]Please do not use this.

-Russ
    [/b]

Well, didn't realize that it's "heavy" for the site, so I removed it.
  15. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 09:23
    This would be really good. I'm guilty of reloading manually quite frequently when i'm online. I'm guessing this Agent would be a more efficient use of bandwidth...? Sign me up!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree