1. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 11:32
    I use a third party notifying program - MSN Messenger. This program can be set up to tell me when I have new e-mails. So, when I get an e-mail from RHP, I get an alert from MSN, which tells me I now have a game waiting.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Feb '05 14:26
    Originally posted by hahabe
    Originally posted by Russ
    [b][b]Please do not use this.

Loading an entire page is very wasteful, and there is no 'back off mechanism' for this plug in. For example, with an always-on connection you could go away for the weekend and still thrash our site.

A massive waste of resources.

-Russ
    [/b]

Well, didn't realize that it's "heavy" for the site, so I removed it. [/b]
    Thanks for removing it, I appreciate it.

The real concern here is that the browser could potentially sit there night and day chewing resources without you even benefiting from it. Also, by setting your refresh to be too high, you could potentially degrade site performance for everyone else.

Manually refreshing the site whenever you feel the urge is not a problem - so please don't feel like you can't do this.

-Russ
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    01 Feb '05 19:21
    Originally posted by hahabe
    Well, didn't realize that it's "heavy" for the site, so I removed it. [/b]
    This was it what I wanted to say above... 😉
    th
  4. Groningen
    Moves
    01 Feb '05 22:48
    This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the t ...[text shortened]... u want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ
    I think this will be a very useful extension! But as you (Russ) say: we need more people to express their enthousiasm for it. Anyone?
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 00:28
    Originally posted by mikkip
    I think this will be a very useful extension! But as you (Russ) say: we need more people to express their enthousiasm for it. Anyone?
    What's wrong with people using the email notification?

D
  6. Groningen
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 10:51
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    What's wrong with people using the email notification?

D
    There is nothing wrong with e-mail notification, but i checked the toolbar in use by gameknot (as noted by cyruslyons) and it seemed very easy to use and thus something like this might be also a good extension to this site. But if i'm the only enthusiast......
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 09:20
    This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the t ...[text shortened]... u want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ
    so Russ

When will it be ready for download??😀
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 12:22
    Originally posted by mikkip
    so we give him a rec 🙂
    th

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree