1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 21:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps I want to keep the information of how many days I have left as a secret. I don't want anyone use this information to know exactly when they can plan to time me out.

If I want a change in the vacation system it is the following (in priority order):
    (1) I want 36 days vacation time for the last 365 days. Not 36 days from 1st jan to 31st of decem ...[text shortened]... you want to know more) still stands, but I seem to be rather alone in this, so I drop this...
    Well. My point is exactly that people who have used all their game time and their vacation time generally don't want you/me to know when they can get timed out and that is what's frustrating. You're cool with the idea that you expire all your regular game time and then all your vacation time, and then because people are'nt online all the time, you probably can avoid getting timed out? Well, lol, it makes perfect sense for you to want that, but if I'm playing you I definitely don't like that.

In my post above I meant to say you, not SwissG, by the way. At your level of play have you had any players hold up a game with vacation simply because they have a huge load of games and are constantly delaying? I doubt you've had too many. It is very irritating. I just want to call them on their crap.

I agree with you other suggestions by the way but I understand why non-subs cannot use vacation time as many of them start many games and just don't continue and because it is an insentive for players to subscribe and support the site.

Don't know about your last suggestion but will look into it.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 05:32
    Originally posted by TSaffle
    Well. My point is exactly that people who have used all their game time and their vacation time generally don't want you/me to know when they can get timed out and that is what's frustrating. You're cool with the idea that you expire all your regular game time and then all your vacation time, and then because people are'nt online all the time, you probably c ...[text shortened]... e and support the site.

Don't know about your last suggestion but will look into it.
    I hope my postings in this matters don't stirr up any feelings. It's not intended to. I just give my opinion about it, that's all. If Russ gives us the possibility to see the amount of others vacation left days, or when I say I come back from vacation, then I'll accept it with no problems. It's not a big deal.

If I'm out of thinking time, then I have managed my thinking times badly. If someone sees a skull and they time me out - that's my problem and not theirs, I'll never complain about that. If my vacation info is revield to everyone and time me out because of this, it's really the same, the blame is on me. But if someone complain to me that I take two weeks of vacation and come home after the first week and cancel the leftover days of my vacation, thus giving 'false information', then I'm not the one to blame.

If people stall games because thye think they can gain something out of it, I don't mind. I have too many games going already. It also gives me extra time. That's not a problem for me.

The idea of 'sealed moves', well, I have gotten much critics about it. And even if it's a good idea, it requires a lot of programming for Russ and his team, so it will never happen anyway. The vacation system, as it is today, is as good as it need to be. No modifications are really neccessary.
  3. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 15:12
    Dude. I'm just having fun with this now. Originally I simply did not understand why vacation time left was not shown when every other time control on here is. From that point of view it makes sense to ask the question. Oh. And I've played like 1200 games on here and am in 4 clans and have posted maybe three or fours times. Perhaps you go to the forums for th ...[text shortened]... e comments or at least look at my profile before making generalizations about why I play here.
    Actually I did look at your profile befor I posted. But I didnt have to. If you think people cant give contructive comments on a post you make without reading your profile you should have added something like this in your post:
    "Oh, and also read my profile, since there is alot of additional information there that you need to understand this post and the reasons why I posted it."

I agree that I generalized you and that could have been wrong. Thats why I used "I think" and not "Its a fact that".
    I just think the main reason such vacation info about other players is going to be used is to claim TO's and im against that in general. Im even more against it if someone Times Out while he was in a losing position.

Your other reason it could be used for made me laugh. Seriously I doubt this will happen alot:
    "From another point of view this could also be used in a friendly way. Like - 'I see that your vacation time is almost up as is your game time. Let me know if you would like to have an exstension before I claim the win please.' Sounds good to me as there are lots of thoughtful people here who would do this."

"Originally I simply did not understand why vacation time left was not shown when every other time control on here is."
    I think that the game time control is more public information, you both agreed to use that time control.
    How long I am on vacation or how long Ive already been using vacation this year is not really any of your business in my opinion.
  4. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 15:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Huh? How is it possibly unfair?
    Unfair might have been a bad word choice. Since you both agree to a time control, if you cant make it and get timed out its your own fault ofcourse. Im just afraid more TO's will happen while people are on losing positions. Somehow thats a little bit unfair to me (eventho you both agreed to the time control).
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:26
    I hope my postings in this matters don't stirr up any feelings. It's not intended to. I just give my opinion about it, that's all. If Russ gives us the possibility to see the amount of others vacation left days, or when I say I come back from vacation, then I'll accept it with no problems. It's not a big deal.

If I'm out of thinking time, then I have m ...[text shortened]... is today, is as good as it need to be. No modifications are really neccessary.
    Sealed moves is bad idea still. You can't tell people they can't spend their vacation checking into RHP here or there to make a move.

It's vacation from time-outs, not vacation from playing chess when you can. I always find it strange people wanting to slow games more when these vacation topics come up... but that's what always happens.

Yes, we've talked about this before.

P-
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:32

If I'm out of thinking time, then I have m ...[text shortened]... is today, is as good as it need to be. No modifications are really neccessary.
    eh. Finally I was just having fun debating the issue - no feelings here to speak of. What does slightly irk me though is that you post a simple question and suggestion and you get a number of people who immediately say this is a useless, bad, or unfair idea so I like to argue and not let the idea just get crushed. So far my impression is that the nay sayers don't like this because they're concerned this will help them get timed out. Though this surprises my as most players that actually care won't really let time slip away from them and get TO'd so why be against unless you like the ambiguity of current vacation settings.

As far as your concern that moving before you have to and someone blaming you for moving during vacation time goes I think the obvious response is that person would obviously just be an idiot and not to be worried about. Don't understand your point there.

I would like this little feature but it is not really all that important and it does take a back back seat to the other better ideas like ratings floors. Russ said that was happening so that is a very good thing. As far as 'No modifications are really neccessary' goes, well you're right. We will continue playing chess and having fun on here but I think for consistency sake all times should be shown bottom line. At this point let's just agree to disagree then.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:39
    eh. Finally I was just having fun debating the issue - no feelings here to speak of. What does slightly irk me though is that you post a simple question and suggestion and you get a number of people who immediately say this is a useless, bad, or unfair idea so I like to argue and not let the idea just get crushed. So far my impression is that the nay sayers ...[text shortened]... all times should be shown bottom line. At this point let's just agree to disagree then.
    Just so you know, my real worry is the misleading info and new threads. Already there are tons of misunderstandings about vacations.

It has nothing to do with me worrying that users will be better able to calculate a time out.

Perhaps you're talking of other posters.

Also, don't worry about people that don't agree with an idea of yours. If it's a good idea it will stand the test of time and make it... and even be refined through the views of others that don't agree. You might learn a flaw in an idea from a person that doesn't agree, and if you're REALLY lucky you might change someone's view of an idea. No one is here just to shoot all ideas down.

For example:

How will this vacation info be shown? I speculated an available time left number when you hover over the vacation icon. How would you suggest this time remaining number be shown and how will you explain the number so people don't get confused as I stated earlier in the thread.

Push your idea, explain it, make us believe. Don't be frustrated if you believe it's a good idea. Explain it better to us that don't agree.

P-
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:43
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    Actually I did look at your profile befor I posted. But I didnt have to. If you think people cant give contructive comments on a post you make without reading your profile you should have added something like this in your post:
    "Oh, and also read my profile, since there is alot of additional information there that you need to understand this post and the r ...[text shortened]... ady been using vacation this year is not really any of your business in my opinion.
    Dude. I come here to play chess and have fun that is why I wan this feature because it helps - yes in a very small way - get the ball rolling faster.

When you come on here and say 'unfair' and say that I come to play chess for the wrong reasons I'm gonna disagree with you.

If people TO other people while they are losing then the other people should not have let themselves get timed out. You see this all the time in Blitz. Understand that time is a real factor in chess and can be used as part of it's strategy.

You don't think people are occasionally nice to one another? That is kinda sad. I absolutely think some would message each other and ask about whether or not they want to continue and not get timed out. Imagine players who know each other or have shared a lot of games. So laugh all you want.

In response to you last statement all time factors in a game that are agreed upon by both players effect both players. I and you have agreed to the current way because there has not been another choice - that is why this discussion is here on the Site Ideas forum.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:43
    eh. Finally I was just having fun debating the issue - no feelings here to speak of. What does slightly irk me though is that you post a simple question and suggestion and you get a number of people who immediately say this is a useless, bad, or unfair idea so I like to argue and not let the idea just get crushed. So far my impression is that the nay sayers ...[text shortened]... all times should be shown bottom line. At this point let's just agree to disagree then.
    Get rid of vacation time and you know exactly where you are each game.

After all when I decide to play a 3/7 game I expect a maximum of 10 days for a move assuming my opponent takes all his time to make one move, thereafter its a max of 3 days per move or timeout. With vacation time this could go to 46 days for one move!!

Just do away with the stupid vacation time and then everyone becomes equal.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:52
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Just so you know, my real worry is the misleading info and new threads. Already there are tons of misunderstandings about vacations.

It has nothing to do with me worrying that users will be better able to calculate a time out.

Perhaps you're talking of other posters.

Also, don't worry about people that don't agree with an idea of yours. If it's ...[text shortened]... ed if you believe it's a good idea. Explain it better to us that don't agree.

P-
    Yep. I should have specified the posters I meant but I don't really like to name names if not necessary.

Got to disagree with you on one point. I do think there are those that like to just shoot down ideas. You see it all the time in the forums. Baseless comments made to make the poster look clever and I love it when they in tern get shot down.

I think I actually thought I could change one or two people's minds on this little issue for the sake of trying. Now I'm just tired of typing. lol

I think this feature could very easily and discretely be listed on the player's profile. Not sure where but I don't think that really matters. All that would need to be done is you list current numbers of days player has on hold for vacation and under that list total number of days player has left to claim - and write next to that 'not counting days already claimed' to avoid confusion. Example below:

5 Vacation Days Currently Booked
    12 Vacation Days Left To Claim - not counting days currently booked

If people get confused - well people always get confused.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:55
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Get rid of vacation time and you know [b]exactly where you are each game.

After all when I decide to play a 3/7 game I expect a maximum of 10 days for a move assuming my opponent takes all his time to make one move, thereafter its a max of 3 days per move or timeout. With vacation time this could go to 46 days for one move!!

Just do away with the stupid vacation time and then everyone becomes equal.[/b]
    I didn't dare to suggest that but I think I agree. When I'm actually on vacation I usually have more time to move not less! But when I get rich and I'm in Borneo looking at wildlife or something maybe I'll change my mind.

You made my point for me. All I want is to know is exactly where I am in each game time wise.
  12. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:21
    I think all this could be solved by creating a limit for how much vacation time you can use at once (or per month or something), for example you can only go on vacation for one week and then have to wait another week to be able to go on vacation again.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:29
    Yep. I should have specified the posters I meant but I don't really like to name names if not necessary.

Got to disagree with you on one point. I do think there are those that like to just shoot down ideas. You see it all the time in the forums. Baseless comments made to make the poster look clever and I love it when they in tern get shot down.

I thin ...[text shortened]... unting days currently booked

If people get confused - well people always get confused.
    Or. Easier than that just have a link to each player's vacation calander page that no one other than the player themselves could touch. This would eliminate all programming issues except for the little link and provision that only the player can set their own vacation times. There could be no confusion here and it would be very easy for Russ and team to create.

I think this is by far the easiest and least confusing solution to this issue.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:33
    Originally posted by orion25
    I think all this could be solved by creating a limit for how much vacation time you can use at once (or per month or something), for example you can only go on vacation for one week and then have to wait another week to be able to go on vacation again.
    People will really scream about this suggestion. There is probably no good way to agree on what amount of time is the limit per month/week whatever. Doubt Russ and crew would touch this with a 15 foot stick. Interesting idea though as it would force more moves more often.

May have mentioned this before but I think vacation time should not be applyable to tournament games as they take way too long anyway.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:37
    People will really scream about this suggestion. There is probably no good way to agree on what amount of time is the limit per month/week whatever. Doubt Russ and crew would touch this with a 15 foot stick. Interesting idea though as it would force more moves more often.

May have mentioned this before but I think vacation time should not be applyable to tournament games as they take way too long anyway.
    Agreed, bad idea. Remember, don't punish everyone at RHP for a few people who use vacation like a crutch... I was gone 3 weeks once with my wife in bed with our first child. 36 days a year, not 36 days a year but you can only use 7 at a time.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree