vacation times

vacation times

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
17 Jan 10

I've played a number of people that have used the vacation settings - like I have - to keep themselves from being timed out at various times, but I don't understand why I cannot see how much vacation time they have left? When we play here online each player can always see how much time the other person has to make a move unless the vacation setting is turned on. This is a little irritating because if you are still in the early or middle stages of a game and your opponent has let all their time expire and has turned on the vacation setting you are basically sitting there with no time frame - except the possible 3 week total vacation - of when they'll have to move. Of course this is not a big deal but it would be cool if we could see how much vacation time the other person has left.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
18 Jan 10

Originally posted by TSaffle
I've played a number of people that have used the vacation settings - like I have - to keep themselves from being timed out at various times, but I don't understand why I cannot see how much vacation time they have left? When we play here online each player can always see how much time the other person has to make a move unless the vacation setting is turned ...[text shortened]... g deal but it would be cool if we could see how much vacation time the other person has left.
I don't see the issue here unless you are looking at how to take time off on your opponents vacation period!

Lets say you are playing a 1/3 game and all your opponents time has expired. They are on vacation for 14 days and have 10 days left.

You think OK, they have not moved for a while, they are on holiday, I will take a wee break for a few days but no point wasting my vacation days as all my other games are well within time.

You go offline. 5 days later you return to find yourself timed out in both games because your opponent has found an interenet cafe, gone online and made a few moves.

You then come back on moaning about an opponent who is on holiday but has managed to time you out. How can they do that? Moan moan moan.

When a skull appears you can take a win, until then you just have to be patient.

F

Moves
18 Jan 10

Originally posted by TSaffle
I've played a number of people that have used the vacation settings - like I have - to keep themselves from being timed out at various times, but I don't understand why I cannot see how much vacation time they have left? When we play here online each player can always see how much time the other person has to make a move unless the vacation setting is turned ...[text shortened]... g deal but it would be cool if we could see how much vacation time the other person has left.
I can move during my vacation, you can move in our games during my vacation. There is no difference between on-vacation and off-vacation, except for one small detail: I have immunity from time-outs. That's all, nothing more.

If you know that I'm on vacation 7 days, what till you do with this information? Whenever I want to, I can prolong my vacation with another 7 days, or I can short my vacation with three days. When setting myself into a vacation, I never do any commitments nor promises, that my vacation will be exactly the vacation you would see (if you'd see it). I am still in the liberty to change my period as I want (and the system permits).

The only thing you can rely upon is the following: If yous see somebodies vacation icon, he's on vacation.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Jan 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
If you know that I'm on vacation 7 days, what till you do with this information?
You would know the maximum time that the game can be delayed. You would thus be able to expect a move within 7 days, or expect a skull ready for the harvest.

Moves
18 Jan 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
You would know the maximum time that the game can be delayed. You would thus be able to expect a move within 7 days, or expect a skull ready for the harvest.
6 days in they decide to extend their vacation time, now what do you do?

i really fail to see the point of this feature.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
18 Jan 10

The bones = we should be able to see how much vaccation time our opponent has left

T

Moves
19 Jan 10

Exactly. I mean if I wait around for an entire 3 weeks of vacation time after the regular amount of game time has expired you know I want to click a skull. So it does suck when this happens and you come back to your games a couple of days later and find out the person has literally just moved and you can't time them out.

For all the people who don't think this makes sense then I ask why show how much time anyone ever has left in any of our games? Not much point in that if they can just activate their vacation for three weeks - or whatever amount they have left since you can't tell.

And as I said in my original question this is not a big deal, but now I'm curious why anybody would'nt want to know as much as possible about their opponents.

T

Moves
19 Jan 10

Originally posted by trev33

That is a very good point. The best thing to do would be show the maximum total amount of vacation time left the player can book for that year & the amount of vacation time currently booked by the player. And your right - you can't do anything until the vacation time is out and the regular time expires but it would give you a better sense of what the other player is up against time wise.

There have been a number of players whom I suspected I would time out because 1. regular time amount was expired & they had their vacation time going for a while. And 2. because they had like 1000 games going or something. I personally want to know the minute I can click a skull if some guy has me waiting because they've taken on way more than they can chew.

T

Moves
19 Jan 10

Now I remember another reason I want this feature. During tourneys the vacation feature really sucks because it holds everyone up - either show vacation time left, or better yet, not allow vacation time for tourneys here online or only offer a limited amount of vacation time. After winning a banded duel tourney on here I realized that it took something like a year and a half to finish the damn thing. This is pretty much the only reason I don't play them now is because they just take too long and you have no idea when you'll get a new batch of games to play if you move to the next round.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Jan 10

Originally posted by trev33

I suppose the idea would be to show the TOTAL vacation time left for the opponent.

F

Moves
19 Jan 10
1 edit

No, you wouldn't.

Your opponent can make a move whenever he wants, in his vacation as well as off his vacation.
Your opponent can prolong his vacation as much as his number of days permits.
And he can also shorten his vacation at his own will.

You will never know for sure more than before.

z
Thread Killing Chimp

In your retina!:D

Moves
19 Jan 10

TSaffle, I think you go to this site for the wrong reasons.

Your reason should be to play some good games of chess.

Your reason should not be finding and optimizing ways to claim wins in a (most likely) unfair way.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
19 Jan 10

That assumes the opponent has used all timeout and timebank in the games in question and only has vacation time to delay the game.

The games could be 3/7 but as they are playing some 1/3 games they need to put up flag although it will only affect some games.

When a skull appears take it. Who cares if it appears today, tomorrow or in 6 weeks?

Are there really some sad individuals just waiting for the flag to fall to claim a timeout win?

Are they thinking well my opponent will timeout at 4.23 am tomorrow so I'd better set my alarm to get up and take the skull if it has appeared. 🙄

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
19 Jan 10

Originally posted by Mctayto
The bones = [b] we should be able to see how much vaccation time our opponent has left[/b]
Why? They might have 25 days left of vacation, and end their vacation in 1 day.

They might show they are on a 14 day vacation, and cancel that in 2 days.

If you knew how much vacation someone had, what use is it since they could adjust it any time they desire... are you going to slack your games thinking the guy is gone 14 days only to have him move tomorrow and even cancel their time?

It's a worthless number to know, the only reason to know it is curiosity. If Russ gives us this feature, next the forums will be filled with "My opponant was on a 14 day vacation but now he's not and I got timed out when they moved".

P-

F

Moves
19 Jan 10

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Why? They might have 25 days left of vacation, and end their vacation in 1 day.

They might show they are on a 14 day vacation, and cancel that in 2 days.

If you knew how much vacation someone had, what use is it since they could adjust it any time they desire... are you going to slack your games thinking the guy is gone 14 days only to have him move ...[text shortened]... ponant was on a 14 day vacation but now he's not and I got timed out when they moved".

P-
Agree totally with Phlabibit.

There are already too much threads about "Hey, he moves despite he is on vacation!"

If this suggestion would be effective, an additional rule would have to be instated: "If you have set yourself on a vacation, then you cannot move anything, and you cannot change your vacation, neither back nor forth." Do we want such a rule?

This is simply a bad idea. Forget about it.