1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 00:21
    Originally posted by adramforall
    No I don't. All vacation time does is give a player immunity from timeout.

I have already shown how two players making full use of time controls can play longer than a player talking vacation time.

The only thing that truly holds up a tournament is the rate that each player plays at.

For instance a look at Tournament 9200 shows many of the fi ...[text shortened]... .

Would you consider the matches that are yet to be finished as holding up the 2nd round?
    Lol. Of course vacation time use generally makes games last longer. If everyone moved within their time controls then no one would ever get timed out, and this site would never has created the vacation feature. You argue to argue.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 05:20
    Originally posted by TSaffle
    Lol. Of course vacation time use generally makes games last longer. If everyone moved within their time controls then no one would ever get timed out, and this site would never has created the vacation feature. You argue to argue.
    A tend to agree with adramforall.

It's the players of the last game in every round in a tournament who is responsible when a rounds end and the next round can begin. If any of them has taken a lengtly vacation with no moves at that period, then TSaffle have a point, but generally it's not them who delayes the round.

When I find myself in this position to be the last player, then I use to prioritize this game, vacation or not.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 08:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

It's the players of the last game in every round in a tournament who is responsible when a rounds end and the next round can begin. If any of them has taken a lengtly vacation with no moves at that period, then TSaffle have a point, but generally it's not them who delayes the round.

When I find myself in this position to be the last player, then I use to prioritize this game, vacation or not.
    I have already said that this would most affect the players who make it to the last round in a tournament. It would still be a good option for players to be able to choose whether or not to alow vacation time when playing a tournament - especially in a fast time control tournament as we have already discussed.

This feature would not keep people from making moves at the regular pace but rather keep a tournament from being occasionally delayed from lengthy vacation use and keeping the quick pace even and unabated.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 08:59

What is there to agree with in terms of adramforall's posts? All he does is argue that vacation time never 'necesssarly' lengthens games. Of course it makes games often longer. Why not have the choice for no vacation time allowance esspecially when dealing with games that have short time controls to keep games to the designed limits?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 09:17
    What is there to agree with in terms of adramforall's posts? All he does is argue that vacation time never 'necesssarly' lengthens games. Of course it makes games often longer. Why not have the choice for no vacation time allowance esspecially when dealing with games that have short time controls to keep games to the designed limits?
    Games? We're talking about tournaments, aren't we?
    A very small percentage of all tournaments are lengthened because of the vacations. I would say that the rest of them are lengthened because some people are playing very slowly. And they have every right to do so.
    I dont think there will be much improvements if your idea is implemented.

And why so much fuzz about it? Play 1/0 tournaments if you want quicker games. Or play more games if you want full activity all your time.

First you argued for your idea. Then you argue against those people who don't like your idea.
    You've made your point. Let Russ decide, he will decide anyway. Until then, respect the views of others, as you want respect of yours. No need for war.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 09:55
    Games? We're talking about tournaments, aren't we?
    A very small percentage of all tournaments are lengthened because of the vacations. I would say that the rest of them are lengthened because some people are playing very slowly. And they have every right to do so.
    I dont think there will be much improvements if your idea is implemented.

And why so m ...[text shortened]... way. Until then, respect the views of others, as you want respect of yours. No need for war.
    I have not computed how many games have been slowed because of vacation on this site and doubt you have either - but I suspect it is many more than you suggest. If you have please show your numbers. Everyone has the right to play as slowly as the time controls they agree to dicate - that is exactly what is being discussed here. That is whether or not some players should be allowed to decide whether or not to do away with vacation time during some games or tournaments.

Of course I agrue against those who argue against my idea. I think my idea makes sense and that players would find it beneficial. Why do you and adramforall keep posting arguments against this? You already said that as long as non-vacation tournaments did not affect all tournaments then you would be fine with it in a previous post.

As long as anyone posts that all time controls - including vacation times left - should not be posted, and that players should not be allowed to create some games that don't allow use of vacation time here I will respond. Why? Because I like a debate and want the above named features.

No war here. But if you write on the topic and I disagree, or agree, I have the right to post again - the respecting other's views thing works both ways remember.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 10:08
    I have not computed how many games have been slowed because of vacation on this site and doubt you have either - but I suspect it is many more than you suggest. If you have please show your numbers. Everyone has the right to play as slowly as the time controls they agree to dicate - that is exactly what is being discussed here. That is whether or not some pl ...[text shortened]... I have the right to post again - the respecting other's views thing works both ways remember.
    Okay, now you have given your opinion over the matter. I'm sure Russ has read the whole thread. Now let him decide.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 18:36
    Okay, now you have given your opinion over the matter. I'm sure Russ has read the whole thread. Now let him decide.
    I'm done if you're done.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 20:46
    I'm done if you're done.
    Then this thread is closed.
    I hope Russ has read it all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree