1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:42
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Agreed, bad idea. Remember, don't punish everyone at RHP for a few people who use vacation like a crutch... I was gone 3 weeks once with my wife in bed with our first child. 36 days a year, not 36 days a year but you can only use 7 at a time.

P-
    Phlab. What do you think about the link to the player's vacation calander page idea? Easy and not confusing and fair right?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:56
    Originally posted by TSaffle
    Phlab. What do you think about the link to the player's vacation calander page idea? Easy and not confusing and fair right?
    I wouldn't mind a note under it saying something like:

This number represents available vacation time, this is not the number of days the user is on vacation at this time. This number is resent to 36 days January each year. Vacations can be canceled at any time. Users are able to move during vacation, and are exempt from being timed out while their vacation flag is up.

P-
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 21:02
    I wouldn't mind a note under it saying something like:

This number represents available vacation time, this is not the number of days the user is on vacation at this time. This number is resent to 36 days January each year. Vacations can be canceled at any time. Users are able to move during vacation, and are exempt from being timed out while their vacation flag is up.

P-
    That would be fine with me. Something to show the bottom line - total availible vacation left. Add too much subtext and it will get confusing though. But I think seeing the players calander would answer any and all questions about time left and booked - more info without the ambiguity prompting questions 'why this?' and 'why that' about players vacations. And easier for Russ.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 21:21
    That would be fine with me. Something to show the bottom line - total availible vacation left. Add too much subtext and it will get confusing though. But I think seeing the players calander would answer any and all questions about time left and booked - more info without the ambiguity prompting questions 'why this?' and 'why that' about players vacations. And easier for Russ.
    There is no sense in showing booked time, unless you state "Vacation can be canceled at any time".

We're going down the road I feared if not. "This guy was on a 14 day vacation, yet 3 days later he moved and I archived the game and left myself a note to pull the game up in a couple weeks."

You show someone is on 14 day vacation, 2 days later they cancel and some new user thought they didn't need to pay attention to that game and started another game only to find they were the one timed out.

I don't mind showing available time, but showing current vacation is very misleading in my mind.

P-
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 21:30
    There is no sense in showing booked time, unless you state "Vacation can be canceled at any time".

We're going down the road I feared if not. "This guy was on a 14 day vacation, yet 3 days later he moved and I archived the game and left myself a note to pull the game up in a couple weeks."

You show someone is on 14 day vacation, 2 days later they can ...[text shortened]... showing available time, but showing current vacation is very misleading in my mind.

P-
    Yeah. It is misleading. True. Though I think that while vacation can be set and retracted then there will always be the confusion despite the various ways of showing total vacation time left. The issue is vacation retraction in your post.

Much less confusing to not be able to retract vacation time once booked, but I think everyone likes being able to book and retract vacation as all our plans change from time to time. The only reason I'm really pushing showing the calander is because it would be easier to set up and there for much more likely to happen. So I'm pandering to Russ becuase I know he has other things to worry about.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 21:401 edit
    Yeah. It is misleading. True. Though I think that while vacation can be set and retracted then there will always be the confusion despite the various ways of showing total vacation time left. The issue is vacation retraction in your post.

Much less confusing to not be able to retract vacation time once booked, but I think everyone likes being able to book likely to happen. So I'm pandering to Russ becuase I know he has other things to worry about.
    Not sure if it was Crowley or Ragnorak perhaps, but someone had a vacation booked.

They got a call, and for some reason the flights were changed or something happened and they had to change the plan to another month not being able to get out on time. Their quote was much like:

"Imagine that if I were not able to cancel, and not able to move while on vacation. Not only did I not get away for my vacation, but I was stuck at home and unable to use one of my favorite sites on the internet. Double the damage".

Remember, let's not punish everyone over a few that 'abuse' their vacation time (if there is such a thing... people are able to use their vacation any way they see fit)

P-
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 22:41
    Sealed moves is bad idea still. You can't tell people they can't spend their vacation checking into RHP here or there to make a move.

It's vacation from time-outs, not vacation from playing chess when you can. I always find it strange people wanting to slow games more when these vacation topics come up... but that's what always happens.

Yes, we've talked about this before.

P-
    Sealed moves, still don't think it's a bad idea, but I understand how people thinks. Never mind about that. Apart from a few tiny alterations (as stated before) I don't mind keeping the current vacation system as it is.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 22:471 edit
    I would like this little feature but it is not really all that important and it does take a back back seat to the other better ideas like ratings floors. Russ said that was happening so that is a very good thing. As far as 'No modifications are really neccessary' goes, well you're right. We will continue playing chess and having fun on here but I think for c ...[text shortened]... sake all times should be shown bottom line. At this point let's just agree to disagree then.
    Let's make an experiment in thoughts: Say that Russ gave us the option of showing your vacation information or not. How do you think people would do?
    (1) No vac info shown at all.
    (2) I want to know others but wouldn't like to show mine.
    (3) Show everyones vac info in their profile.
    I would chose (2). If (2) was out of the question, I would chose (1).
    How would you chose? How would others chose do you think?
    If it was a vote, which vote would you think win?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 00:17
    Not sure if it was Crowley or Ragnorak perhaps, but someone had a vacation booked.

They got a call, and for some reason the flights were changed or something happened and they had to change the plan to another month not being able to get out on time. Their quote was much like:

"Imagine that if I were not able to cancel, and not able to move while on ...[text shortened]... there is such a thing... people are able to use their vacation any way they see fit)

P-
    If you read my whole post you would have seen where I said everyone likes to change their vacation as their plans may change. I merely stated that being able to retract vacation time was the source of the confusion, not that I want that feature changed.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 00:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Let's make an experiment in thoughts: Say that Russ gave us the option of showing your vacation information or not. How do you think people would do?
    (1) No vac info shown at all.
    (2) I want to know others but wouldn't like to show mine.
    (3) Show everyones vac info in their profile.
    I would chose (2). If (2) was out of the question, I would chose (1). ...[text shortened]... chose? How would others chose do you think?
    If it was a vote, which vote would you think win?
    I don't presume to know how a vote would go and don't think you can be sure either. Only 10 or so RHPers have posted on this topic.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 00:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Sealed moves, still don't think it's a bad idea, but I understand how people thinks. Never mind about that. Apart from a few tiny alterations (as stated before) I don't mind keeping the current vacation system as it is.
    I looked up the sealed moves thread and agree that this would help, but I'm wondering how much good it would do while booked vacation time can be retracted. Everyone in this post seems to agree that we should be able to retract vacation bookings so would'nt said player just retract their vacation and then move and then reset their vacation booking to get around the sealed move?

Perhaps another answer to the vacation question is that when a game is created players can opt from the beginning either to allow the use of vaction time during said game or not. This could apply to tourneys as well.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 19:32
    Originally posted by orion25
    I think all this could be solved by creating a limit for how much vacation time you can use at once (or per month or something), for example you can only go on vacation for one week and then have to wait another week to be able to go on vacation again.
    So all those who take a fortnights holiday, or a 4 week cruise, etc are stuffed.

If you are going to dictate how people can use there leave then just do away with it.
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 22:18
    yes of course you are right... bad idea
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 21:17
    I looked up the sealed moves thread and agree that this would help, but I'm wondering how much good it would do while booked vacation time can be retracted. Everyone in this post seems to agree that we should be able to retract vacation bookings so would'nt said player just retract their vacation and then move and then reset their vacation booking to get aro ...[text shortened]... o allow the use of vaction time during said game or not. This could apply to tourneys as well.
    Wadya say Russ. A feature where players can agree not to allow the use of vacation time for games, and especially tournaments as it holds everyone up if one player needs time off.

This way nothing is set in stone and players can choose either way with minimal work on your team's part.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 05:49
    Wadya say Russ. A feature where players can agree not to allow the use of vacation time for games, and especially tournaments as it holds everyone up if one player needs time off.

This way nothing is set in stone and players can choose either way with minimal work on your team's part.
    Then I'm off any tournament with this option set. Noway.

I don't know for the next two years if I need a vacation or not. Tournaments can last even longer.
    But I know for sure that I'm going to travel in a couple of month. Why lose on time when I have a good time? No, I want my immunity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree