1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 14:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Those who are "born of God" not only do not sin, but are unable to.

A claim for a "helper" for those who do sin, does not change the above.
    So you would say that Christ was not really being tempted in the wilderness since he was unable to sin?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:011 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you would say that Christ was not really being tempted in the wilderness since he was unable to sin?
    Maybe you've don't understand the context of the discussion.

This should help bring you up to speed. If you need more, go back and read all the posts in this thread.

1 John 3:9
    "every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain,and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten."
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:023 edits
    Maybe you've don't understand the context of the discussion.

This should help bring you up to speed. If you need more, go back and read all the posts in this thread.

1 John 3:9
    "every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain,[b]and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten.
    "[/b]
    Ok then, so Peter had not been begotten of God or, at least, UNTIL after denying Christ three times right before he went to the cross?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:04
    Ok then, so Peter had not been begotten of God UNTIL after denying him three times right before Christ went to the cross?
    Just go back and read the entire thread. It's evident you don't understand the topic.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:111 edit
    Just go back and read the entire thread. It's evident you don't understand the topic.
    I see, well just read 1 John 2:1-2 and it should make a little more sense to you.

It is obvious John is making a distinction between those who practice sin and those who do abhor sin and turn from it.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:15
    I see, well just read 1 John 2:1-2 and it should make a little more sense to you.

It is obvious John is making a distinction between those who practice sin and those who do abhor sin and turn from it.
    Still haven't read it all? Once again, go back and read it. This has already been addressed.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:221 edit
    Still haven't read it all? Once again, go back and read it. This has already been addressed.
    I see. All I will say is that our flesh is unable to be redeemed and wars against our spirit. As scritpure indicates, the flesh wars against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh. This is why our flesh MUST die. John addresses this issue with the verse I have provided, however, you interpret it as those who have never known the Father verses a child of God coming to the Father. If so, why then does he call them "little children" and them coming to their Father? It is apparent that they are children of God to begin with, just like Peter when he denied Christ before he went to the cross. If Peter was not a child of God before that time, why then did Christ say that only one of them, Judas, had a devil? In the case of Judas, both his spirit and flesh were not redeemed.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 15:393 edits
    I see. All I will say is that our flesh is unable to be redeemed and wars against our spirit. As scritpure indicates, the flesh wars against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh. This is why our flesh MUST die. John addresses this issue with the verse I have provided, however, you interpret it as those who have never known the Father verses a child them, Judas, had a devil? In the case of Judas, both his spirit and flesh were not redeemed.
    Here, since you seem to be floundering.

Here's the essence of the topic of thread as I said to jaywill earlier. To be clear, it is in reference to 1 John 3:4-9:
    ...the passage explicitly states that those who "abide in Him" do not sin and similarly those who are "born of God" cannot sin.

Essentially the author is defining what it means to "abide in Him" and who is "born of God". They "do not" and "cannot" sin.

So how do you Christians that believe that they can continue to sin and be "born of God" reconcile 1 John 3:4-9 into your beliefs? Or do you just pretend that it doesn't exist?
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 19:13
    Here, since you seem to be floundering.

Here's the essence of the topic of thread as I said to jaywill earlier. To be clear, it is in reference to 1 John 3:4-9:
    [quote]...the passage explicitly states that those who "abide in Him" do not sin and similarly those who are "born of God" cannot sin.

Essentially the author is defining what it means to "a ...[text shortened]... le 1 John 3:4-9 into your beliefs? Or do you just pretend that it doesn't exist?
    So how do you Christians that believe that they can continue to sin and be "born of God" reconcile 1 John 3:4-9 into your beliefs? Or do you just pretend that it doesn't exist?
    --------ToOne------

How disingenuous!

Do you have any real interest in the answer to this question?

If not , then why ask it?

If you really want to know then listen with an open mind - if you don't want to listen to the answer then don't ask the question.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 19:52
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    --------ToOne------

How disingenuous!

Do you have any real interest in the answer to this question?

If not , then why ask it?

If you really want to know then list ...[text shortened]... with an open mind - if you don't want to listen to the answer then don't ask the question.
    Thus far, no one has been able to provide even a remotely rational reconciliation.

Perhaps the truth is that they choose to ignore it and provide a response, no matter how irrational, in an effort to maintain a state of denial.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 20:05
    Thus far, no one has been able to provide even a remotely rational reconciliation.

Perhaps the truth is that they choose to ignore it and provide a response, no matter how irrational, in an effort to maintain a state of denial.
    actually many have provided rather excellent reasoning which you have simply chosen to ignore, when you address the points that Jaywill made with regard to the context, then you may have recourse to stating that none have provided a rational explanation otherwise its just another unsubstantiated sensationalistic bold sweeping unfounded piece of mere opinion! the sort that one glosses over in political propaganda speeches.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 20:091 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually many have provided rather excellent reasoning which you have simply chosen to ignore, when you address the points that Jaywill made with regard to the context, then you may have recourse to stating that none have provided a rational explanation otherwise its just another unsubstantiated sensationalistic bold sweeping unfounded piece of mere opinion! the sort that one glosses over in political propaganda speeches.
    I've addressed jaywill. Go back and read through the thread. I'm waiting on a response from him.

C'mon RC. I don't recall anything remotely approaching anything of substance from you on this topic. You just make one vacuous post after another. If you can be honest with yourself, you'll know this to be true.

There is something of substance that you might be able to provide. Last night I was speaking to a woman who said that her brother is a JW. Evidently he told her something along the lines that everything is provided by God for our use, so there's no reason to be a responsible steward of this planet. Evidently he thinks nothing of wasting electricity, eating high on the food chain, etc. Is this the official JW position?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 20:302 edits
    I've addressed jaywill. Go back and read through the thread. I'm waiting on a response from him.

C'mon RC. I don't recall anything remotely approaching anything of substance from you on this topic. You just make one vacuous post after another. If you can be honest with yourself, you'll know this to be true.

There is something of substance that you m wasting electricity, eating high on the food chain, etc. Is this the official JW position?
    nope its a nonsense and third hand information as well. Jehovahs witnesses can hardly go around telling persons that the earth shall be a paradise and then treat it in an irresponsible manner can they? Therefore we dont litter, not even the tiniest piece. Anyone who does is irresponsible regardless of whether they are a professing Witness or not. i myself have installed LED spotlights with an average energy consumption of four watts per light bulb, although giving off something around twenty watts equivalent each in my living room. Else where i use low energy. I have installed an inset wood burning stove in my living area so that i may burn a carbon neutral fuel. If i could drive an electric vehicle i would, given that i need a commercial vehicle for my business and they are very hard to come by in the U.K, ironic really, hopefully it will change in the future. I also plan to build a wind turbine (my father who is not a witness built one) but the present legislation is against them for my residential area. So you can tell the lady that either he buck up his ideas or he is a disgrace to the brotherhood! This is not official policy, quite the opposite.

As for not entering your discussion, i simply cannot be bothered arguing any more, sorry.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 20:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    nope its a nonsense and third hand information as well. Jehovahs witnesses can hardly go around telling persons that the earth shall be a paradise and then treat it in an irresponsible manner can they? Therefore we dont litter, not even the tiniest piece. Anyone who does is irresponsible regardless of whether they are a professing Witness or not. ...[text shortened]... te.

As for not entering your discussion, i simply cannot be bothered arguing any more, sorry.
    Yeah, well, evidently one JW tells at least his sister that it's okay for him to be irresponsible in that way. It didn't ring true to me, so I thought I'd ask. Do you have a JW approved link attesting to a policy of being good stewards of the planet. I'll pass it on to her and maybe she can help to get him straightened out.

You can't be "bothered arguing any more", but can be bothered to make post after post of vacuous comments? Interesting place to draw the line.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 20:52

There is something of substance that you m ...[text shortened]... wasting electricity, eating high on the food chain, etc. Is this the official JW position?
    So do you sin or not? Still haven't seen an answer....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree