1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 05:031 edit
    "10 Things I Wish Everyone Knew About Atheism March 18, 2014 "Set your stereotypes aside and get to know atheists all over again. by Herb Silverman" [Almost titled this thread: “Joey, this is very important..." -gb]

"I’m a “big-tent” atheist, which includes whatever non-theistic labels people prefer: agnostic, humanist, secular humanist, freethinker, secularist, and more. This list applies to the whole tent:

1. The prefix “a” can mean “anti” or “non.” While some atheists are anti-theists, most are non-theists who have no desire to destroy religion. We don’t have a problem with believers until they try to force their beliefs on others.

2. Atheists are not necessarily protesters, though that’s how they are usually portrayed in the media. When they do protest, they protest government privileging of one religion over another or religion over non-religion.

3. Atheists are not angry at God (just as they are not angry at the Tooth Fairy), and most of us didn’t become atheists because something bad happened to us. We became atheists because we find no evidence for any gods.

4. Atheists are not less trustworthy just because we don’t believe in a judging God. Believing that of us only makes us think you would be untrustworthy were it not for your fear of God.

5. We can find joy without belief in God and an afterlife. We may not see any cosmic purpose of life, but we do find our own joyful purposes in life.

6. Most religious people are secular most of the time. Ask yourself how you would behave differently if you stopped believing in God. If you can’t come up with a good answer, then you are what I call a functional atheist.

7. Calling atheism a religion is like calling baldness a hair color. The “religion” of atheism and secular humanism is not taught in public schools, unless you think that conveying the best available scientific information is a religious act. If you wind up abandoning faith in supernatural things because of science, as many do, that is a collateral benefit to critical thinking.

8. Most atheists don’t go around proselytizing or promoting atheism. For every open atheist you know, there are probably dozens of non-identifying atheists whom you assume are religious. Many are afraid to come out of their atheist closets, and the varied reasons for that would require another list of ten or more things that I wish everyone would know.

9. Atheists don’t fit your stereotypes. There are good and bad atheists just as there are good and bad Christians, Jews, Muslims, men, women, and any other category. Judge people by their actions and the content of their character, not by their professed religious beliefs.

10. Most of the atheists I know have a good sense of humor, so I’ll end with a joke:

A Jewish atheist hears that the best school in town happens to be Catholic, so he enrolls his son. Things are going well until one day the boy comes home and says, “I just learned all about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.” The boy’s father is barely able to control his rage. He grabs his son by the shoulders and says, “Joey, this is very important, so listen carefully. There is only ONE God — and we don’t believe in Him!”

Note: "About Herb Silverman is founder and President Emeritus of the Secular Coalition for America, author of “Candidate Without a Prayer: An Autobiography of a Jewish Atheist in the Bible Belt,” and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston."

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014/03/18/10-things-i-wish-everyone-knew-about-atheism/31345

Footnote: This is a thread I'd post if an atheist; so here it is for my atheist friends and almost friends. Enjoy.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 07:32
    Finally, a quote from GB about atheists that I actually agree with.
    Congratulations.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 12:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Congratulations.
    twhitehead, I'm glad your pleased (and could wish Herb Silverman was an RHP Member and active on this forum).
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 12:32
    3. Atheists are not angry at God (just as they are not angry at the Tooth Fairy), and most of us didn’t become atheists because something bad happened to us. We became atheists because we find no evidence for any gods.

Atheists who read this point 3 will think "Well, duh, of course...", but for many theists this one seems almost impossible to comprehend.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 12:45
    Congratulations.
    Oh, I get it... I think.

When GB cuts-and-pastes articles you agree with, you'll read it and comment accordingly, but the same activity containing content with which you disagree, well, all hell breaks loose.

Interesting...
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Oh, I get it... I think.

When GB cuts-and-pastes articles you agree with, you'll read it and comment accordingly, but the same activity containing content with which you disagree, well, all hell breaks loose.

Interesting...
    I am a bit confused by your comment. What do you expect? You expect me to agree with what I don't agree with, and all hell to break loose when there is something I agree with? Or what exactly are you saying?

My main objection to GBs usual cut and pastes, is that he never wants to take any ownership of them - ie he doesn't actually agree with them himself, nor wants to discuss their contents or his opinion of their contents. He just throws stuff out there that is clearly wrong, then stands back and ignores the responses. Basically, he is usually a bit of a troll.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 13:05
    I am a bit confused by your comment. What do you expect? You expect me to agree with what I don't agree with, and all hell to break loose when there is something I agree with? Or what exactly are you saying?

My main objection to GBs usual cut and pastes, is that he never wants to take any ownership of them - ie he doesn't actually agree with them himse ...[text shortened]... ly wrong, then stands back and ignores the responses. Basically, he is usually a bit of a troll.
    No need to act confused.

What he did here is what he usually does; namely, he finds an article he considers fodder for conversation, pastes the same in an opening thread, adds a comment or two somewhere within and then opens it up for discussion.

No change here to his usual format.
    So take a gander at any of the other threads initiated by him and consider the usual first responses, then contrast those with this one--- see if you can see the difference, which I pointed out in my post.

I'll save you some time.
    The typical knee-jerk response from those opposed is to bemoan the thread owing to its format.
    Conspicuously, most of GB's posts lean toward a support and agreement with Christianity and/or theism.
    More than likely, this is a wild and unconnected coincidence.

Ironically, here is a post which employs the usual MO, but--- sans the usual content--- the complaint about the format is wholly absent.
    More than likely, this is a wild and unconnected coincidence.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:432 edits
    Ironically, here is a post which employs the usual MO, but--- sans the usual content--- the complaint about the format is wholly absent.
    Do you think a copy pasted text that is text from people who are theists talking straw manly about what they claim atheists think is exactly the same as a text by atheists talking about what atheists think, is offered in 'good faith' debating terms? It seems unlikely to me.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:48
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    [b]3. Atheists are not angry at God (just as they are not angry at the Tooth Fairy), and most of us didn’t become atheists because something bad happened to us. We became atheists because we find no evidence for any gods.

Atheists who read this point 3 will think "Well, duh, of course...", but for many theists this one seems almost impossible to comprehend.[/b]
    Well there are two distinct points in that number 3. The first one is "not being angry at god" I believe this. The second one is "something bad happening" on this I reject your dismissal because know several atheists who are firmly atheist because of a negative experience with religion. My point being their position is at least in part, emotive.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 17:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well there are two distinct points in that number 3. The first one is "not being angry at god" I believe this. The second one is "something bad happening" on this I reject your dismissal because know several atheists who are firmly atheist because of a negative experience with religion. My point being their position is at least in part, emotive.
    The text clearly says "most of us" not "all of us". Yes, I'm sure there are theists-turned-atheists because something bad happened, but the opposite is also true, and perhaps even more so.

I don't know if the atheists on this forum are at all representative for "the average atheists" but if so, I think most of them did not become atheist because something bad happened but rather because they either never had faith or because they simply lost it when they started to think about it.

Any atheists present here that stopped believing specifically because something bad happened to them?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 17:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    twhitehead, I'm glad your pleased (and could wish Herb Silverman was an RHP Member and active on this forum).
    Yes, so you could ignore the questions he poses, like you do the rest of the active RHP members. 😕
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 18:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, so you could ignore the questions he poses, like you do the rest of the active RHP members. 😕
    SG, do you think Red Hot Pawn's new member, Herb14, would focus on topics objectively and pose thoughtful questions in search of answers in sync with truth or would the Noobie rant with a rehearsed agenda of questions he was dying to refute?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 19:53
    No need to act confused.
    Your post was confusing, I think I had good reason to be confused.

I also think you are wildly off the mark with regards to comments on his threads.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    SG, do you think Red Hot Pawn's new member, Herb14, would focus on topics objectively and pose thoughtful questions in search of answers in sync with truth or would the Noobie rant with a rehearsed agenda of questions he was dying to refute?
    I have no idea. He writes a good monologue. That doesn't tell me if he is good at discussions and debate.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 21:021 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I have no idea. He writes a good monologue. That doesn't tell me if he is good at discussions and debate.
    Human beings think with words. Thought is dependent on the words in our vocabularies. Our communications in an online forum are the sum and substance of our individual styles of expression, thought, conscience, decisions and character. My net impression: Herb14 come across as honest, thoughtful, informed, relaxed in his own skin and at home with any topic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree