1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 11:56
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Indeed.

This "free pass" that especially Christianity and to a lesser extent Islam seem to get confuses me.

Break it down and it is still an utterly insane belief that has no place in the mind of a mentally healthy person.
    To a lesser extent Islam?

How do you figure?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 12:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    To a lesser extent Islam?

How do you figure?
    How very not surprising that you should focus on that part...

In my experience Islam is currently slightly less accepted than Christianity. Even harmless aspects such as clothing is being attacked quite a lot.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 12:26
    In my experience Islam is currently slightly less accepted than Christianity. Even harmless aspects such as clothing is being attacked quite a lot.
    I would say that that only really applies in predominantly Christian countries. When it comes to open criticism, I think Christianity gets a lot more simply because it can be life threatening to do the same with Islam. I personally am much more likely to criticize a Christian friends beliefs than a Muslim friend. Somehow I think the Muslim would take greater offence.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would say that that only really applies in predominantly Christian countries. When it comes to open criticism, I think Christianity gets a lot more simply because it can be life threatening to do the same with Islam. I personally am much more likely to criticize a Christian friends beliefs than a Muslim friend. Somehow I think the Muslim would take greater offence.
    I agree with what you are saying about how "we" would sooner attack Christianity, however I think that that is because we see Islam as less grown-up than Christianity.

Yes, we would sooner attack Christians about their stance against homo-sexuality, but simply because we expect better from them.

I personally certainly feel that Christianity is more mature than Islam.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 13:15
    I personally certainly feel that Christianity is more mature than Islam.
    Do you personally know any Muslims?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 14:01
    Do you personally know any Muslims?
    No.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 16:542 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How can that be, where people, some with frigging Phd's still be duped into believing fairy tales that almost certainly never happened in this day and age where men have walked on the moon and we are talking about colonizing Mars and cancer is on the way to being defeated just as polio has and mathematics and logic advancing in leaps and bounds as well as p ...[text shortened]... ome on, can't you do better than that? These are frigging FAIRY tales for god's sake, literally.
    Why do "some with frigging Phd's" smoke cigarettes?

Why are "some with frigging Phd's" obese?

Why are "some with frigging Phd's" addicted to gambling?

As with your question about believing "biblical fairy tales", they aren't arrived at rationally. The bottom line is that they reduce anxiety and/or increase pleasure. As such academic achievement and/or intelligence have little to do with it. Not sure why you don't understand this.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 18:38
    I fail to see how Scientology and Mormonism are any more ridiculous than mainstream religions.
    I agreee.
    But Mormonism and Scientology can be shown to be invented.
    (Due to them being "modern" religions)
  9. Germany
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 21:00
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Why do "some with frigging Phd's" smoke cigarettes?

Why are "some with frigging Phd's" obese?

Why are "some with frigging Phd's" addicted to gambling?

As with your question about believing "biblical fairy tales", they aren't arrived at rationally. The bottom line is that they reduce anxiety and/or increase pleasure. As such academic achievement and/or intelligence have little to do with it. Not sure why you don't understand this.
    That is not completely accurate, as the proportion of people with religious beliefs among those holding a PhD is lower than among the general population.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 21:28
    No.
    I have lived with and worked with Muslims, and it changed my perspective somewhat. I still don't know a whole lot about it as it was not discussed a lot. My impression though is that the Muslims I have known were a bit more serious about their religion than most Christians I have known (although that is more of an average as I have seen a lot of variation amongst Christians. They also seem to be a lot stricter about rules - no alcohol, only Halal food, fasting during Ramadan etc. However, I wouldn't describe what I have seen of Islam to be any less mature than Christianity, unless by 'mature' you mean 'rotting'.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 21:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I agreee.
    But Mormonism and Scientology can be shown to be invented.
    (Due to them being "modern" religions)
    So you say. But I am sure that adherents disagree.
    Christianity, Judaism and Islam, can all be shown to be just as much invented - but you won't get very far trying to convince adherents.
    In fact I fail to see how you would go about showing that Mormonism or Scientology were invented that didn't work equally well for the others.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 23:121 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That is not completely accurate, as the proportion of people with religious beliefs among those holding a PhD is lower than among the general population.
    You seem to have created a straw man. Try rereading my response - especially within the context of the OP.

Be that as it may, can you cite the studies that show that "the proportion of people with religious beliefs among those holding a PhD is lower than among the general population"?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:13
    How very not surprising that you should focus on that part...

Muslims are being attacked for their clothing? You mean people are critical of Islam because women are being forced to be completely covered even if it is a hot summers day.

Meanwhile, a woman who does not dress properly in a Middle Easter country, for whatever reason, are the ones really being assaulted physically.

This may surprise you, but many atheist like yourself oppose women in Islam being made to "cover up". They view it as an equality issue within Islam. Why is it that women be made to dress a certain way but not men? This is what they call being sexist.

Usually though, when Muslims are verbally attacked on these forums it is usually because one has decided to lop off the head of an infidel or blow up a building or two. I guess in your world that is considered hate speech.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:14

I personally certainly feel that Christianity is more mature than Islam.[/b]
    So let me get this straight, you prefer immature religions?

Why does this not surprise me?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    So let me get this straight, you prefer immature religions?

Why does this not surprise me?
    ???

Wut???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree