1. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 19:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I have some sympathy for mainstream religionists.

But Scientology and Mormonism?
    Both developed by con-artists.
    Both disprovable.

Shows how gullible people can be.
    You forgot Jehovah's Witnesses. Also a religion started by a known con-artist.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 20:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    First, I think you should tell us what you would say. It seems to me to be an unreasonable question to ask. I for one do not have any magical or life changing advice to give them. nevertheless I agree with Duchess on this one. Until very recently I worked with Muslim women. They were in no way repressed or forced to wear anything and to all intents and pu ...[text shortened]... uld not forget that there is a mixture of culture and religion there and it is not all religion.
    Well, another thing to consider is social mores. What is considered highly restrictive in one country may only be considered an inconvenience in another. People are most comfortable with what they grew up with, no matter how ill-conceived it seems to the rest of us.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 20:23
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    The whole forum has "been there, done that".
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 20:48
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Wow I could have to words to say to that but one cannot stop to kick every dog that barks at us.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 20:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The whole forum has "been there, done that".
    and the whole forum still failed to substantiate the ludicrous claim.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 23:112 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and the whole forum still failed to substantiate the ludicrous claim.
    Your indoctrination is so deep, you wouldn't believe it anyway, so why bother?

(btw, that's also why I don't bother much with the atheists amymore, either.)

Coincidence? Not really.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 23:121 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 23:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Exactly.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 23:56
    First, I think you should tell us what you would say..
    I did.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:05
    I didn't ask you what advice you would give to "an individual Muslim woman", as you well know. And besides, it would be "an individual Muslim woman's" prerogative to dismiss anything you suggested in answer to the question:

"What would be your advice to Muslim women who dress the way they do not because they want to, but because they feel they have no choice or are being forced?" The women you be addressing your advice to feel they are being forced.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:11
    Until very recently I worked with Muslim women. They were in no way repressed or forced to wear anything and to all intents and purposes were no different from most South African women.
    But I have not said that I think all Muslim women feel repressed or that they are all forced to wear something. Nor is there any reason for you to be telling me that Muslim women are a diverse group. I asked a specific question. Both you and Duchess64 have chosen to side step it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, another thing to consider is social mores. What is considered highly restrictive in one country may only be considered an inconvenience in another. People are most comfortable with what they grew up with, no matter how ill-conceived it seems to the rest of us.
    What would be your advice to women who were not comfortable with what they'd grown up with and who did not want to subscribe to social mores that they found highly restrictive?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:191 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:21
    Although there are many Muslims in the Middle East, you should not forget that there is a mixture of culture and religion there and it is not all religion.
    But my question ~ and my own answer to it ~ alludes to the "mixture of culture and religion" so I can hardly be said to be forgetting it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 00:271 edit
    Would you also be unwilling to debate what advice to give to women regarding other issues they face ~ for instance in places like where I live ~ such as legal standing, domestic violence, reproductive health? Your sarcasm is off target. Both men and women can discuss things like this, and so they should. I suggested 5 options - so this can hardly be characterized as me telling them what to do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree