1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 10:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Muslims are being attacked for their clothing? You mean people are critical of Islam because women are being forced to be completely covered even if it is a hot summers day.

Meanwhile, a woman who does not dress properly in a Middle Easter country, for whatever reason, are the ones really being assaulted physically.

This may surprise you, but many athe ...[text shortened]... an infidel or blow up a building or two. I guess in your world that is considered hate speech.
    There are many, many Muslim women who dress the way they do because they want to, not because they are being forced.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 12:13
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You seem to have created a straw man. Try rereading my response - especially within the context of the OP.

Be that as it may, can you cite the studies that show that "the proportion of people with religious beliefs among those holding a PhD is lower than among the general population"?
    There are many similar studies which broadly agree on the same conclusion, i.e. education is (weakly but significantly) negatively correlated with religious beliefs. A commonly cited one is "Leading Scientists Still Reject God," Nature 394, 313 (1998). The study is among a selection of "leading scientists" but it stands to reason that the trend holds also in the broader group of PhDs (with higher degrees of religiousness in the lower sciences).

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 12:21
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    No.
    Do you know any Christians?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 12:22
    There are many, many Muslim women who dress the way they do because they want to, not because they are being forced.
    Fine, but what about those who do not?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 12:22
    ???

Wut???
    Exactly
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 12:361 edit
    Fine, but what about those who ... [dress the way they do because they are being forced]?
    I'd say the options include:

[1] rebellion, defiance, personal protest ~ and accepting the conflict or even danger that this may incur;

[2] activism and/or advocacy on some level ~ perhaps joining or forming a civil society organization active on this issue [although I think many Muslim women perceive other issues to be more pressing];

[3] moving away, perhaps to a city or other more liberal environment;

[4] emigrating;

[5] accepting their lot and recognizing that culture can be oppressive and slow to change.

There may be other options but these are the ones that came to mind in the time it took to type this.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 13:32
    Fine, but what about those who do not?
    What is your opinion about the clothing requirements for women listed in the Bible?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 14:17
    Do you know any Christians?
    Yes.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 15:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you think starting a thread asking people whom you think have been "duped" into believing something, why they think they are duped into believing it, is likely to be a runner?
    Apparently it is.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 15:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's actually an interesting question - why do people hold religious beliefs? You're not the first to ask it.

The answer is complex, but to give a simplified answer, it has to do with the strong tribal urges of people; as society progressed beyond hunter-gatherer tribes, the primitive urge to belong to a "tribe" remained. These modern tribes take man ...[text shortened]... le grow older, such beliefs tend to stick around even when there is no evidence to back them up.
    So it is a double edge sword since those beliefs can and so inhibit the sciences in countries where for instance, YEC are a significant minority and they have political pull to do things like force creationism to be taught in a science class along side evolution as if creationism were a real science. That tends to dilute the sciences because some of those kids become even more duped and then will go into real estate or some such rather than pursue science so we get less people who were perhaps even Phd candidates lost because of the actions of the political drives of the ultra religious.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 16:09
    There are many similar studies which broadly agree on the same conclusion, i.e. education is (weakly but significantly) negatively correlated with religious beliefs. A commonly cited one is "Leading Scientists Still Reject God," Nature [b]394, 313 (1998). The study is among a selection of "leading scientists" but it stands to reason that the trend h ...[text shortened]... degrees of religiousness in the lower sciences).

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm[/b]
    I couldn't find anything either. I was just wondering if you had anything beyond speculation.

Since you didn't address it, I'll assume that you understand the straw man you created.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 16:49
    What is your opinion about the clothing requirements for women listed in the Bible?
    Christians are free to interpret passages in the BIble they way they choose. I don't know of any Christians who are actively being abusive to those who may disagree with dressing regulations. I personally shy away from legalism within Christianity. After all, they tried to tell Christ that he was violating the Sabbath for healing on the Sabbath. Interestingly, the Jewish leaders ended up killing Jesus for supposidly blaspheming. Again, I don't know of any Christians who would adovcate such a judgement.

Meanwhile, women are taken in public squares and murdered for adultery or a gay is thrown off a roof top.......
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 16:50
    Yes.
    Really? There are Christians in Europe? 😲
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 17:30
    Really? There are Christians in Europe? 😲
    Yes.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    25 Oct '15 18:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I couldn't find anything either. I was just wondering if you had anything beyond speculation.

Since you didn't address it, I'll assume that you understand the straw man you created.
    Well, my point was just that, given that we know that more educated people tend to be less religious, it is a legitimate question to ask why some apparently reasonably educated people still believe in obviously flawed religious superstitions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree