Originally posted by sonhouse
Why out of all the possible creation myths going on for thousands of years, every tribe and city of ancient times had their own myth, why did christianity settle on this one? I saw the 6 day creation tale on a papyrus dated about 4000 years old in the Cairo Museum in Egypt and it was thousands of years old then, originally coming from an even older religion ...[text shortened]... it isn't christian' etc. But does anyone have anything actually rational to say about this?
You really need to think your rants through a little more carefully.
1. Surely even you know enough history to know that everything in the Old Testament predates Christianity?
2. Also, any stories in the Old Testament referring to times before God made a covenant with Abraham necessarily predate Judaism.
3. Those Christians who take the creation story literally obviously have a fool proof answer: it cant predate Adam can it?
4. The majority of Christians however do not take the story literally, and at least some accept that it was incorporated into Judaism from prior religions/myths (my Christian parents told me that was the case).
5. "Because it comes from God" is also a perfectly good excuse - whatever mechanism was used.
6. How do you (or anyone else) know that the tale was thousands of years old before it was written on a papyrus in Cairo? Is there a prior written record? I suspect you are wrong on that count.
I only mention this because it has such a negative impact on modern life in the US and elsewhere because religious right wing whacko's want to force creationist propaganda into science classes and deny evolution to be taught if they can, it is an extremely dividing political religious issue and nobody even thinks about the actual origin of this myth, just trying to foist a third hand tale unto us in the 21st century where we have ample evidence of no such thing but just the dogged belief in it by a vocal minority who will push this thing into american life to the detriment of actual science in the classrom and with this kind of negativity, how can the US maintain its premier position as the top scientific power of the world? We are being left behind and a lot of it falls squarely on the shoulders of these religious right wing wack jobs.
Well it starts with everyone making an effort to think clearly. That starts with you. If you post a whole lot of inaccurate incorrect statements then how are you different from them? I admit that you are not pushing your ideas in the science classroom (only the science forum perhaps?).
I must note that I fully agree with your actual complaint - there are far too many people willing to push their nonsensical ideas on others for the purposes of a religious agenda. The same applies in the Global warming scene where there are far to many people willing to make up or support lies because they fear that admitting the truth would require them to change their lifestyle.
Humans have an amazing capacity for denial, avoidance and blocking out unsavory truths. Nowhere is this syndrome more in evidence than with respect to AIDS. I have met university graduates (with science related degrees) who deny the existence of AIDS because they fear they might have it.