1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 14:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why out of all the possible creation myths going on for thousands of years, every tribe and city of ancient times had their own myth, why did christianity settle on this one? I saw the 6 day creation tale on a papyrus dated about 4000 years old in the Cairo Museum in Egypt and it was thousands of years old then, originally coming from an even older religion ...[text shortened]... d and a lot of it falls squarely on the shoulders of these religious right wing wack jobs.
    How does this creation story go, can you give the readers digest
    version?
    Kelly
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 04:59
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How does this creation story go, can you give the readers digest
    version?
    Kelly
    The only thing interesting about it is the first sentence, 'Let There Be light', well maybe second sentence. It sounds like it could describe the big bang. The rest is just pure poppycock.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 05:19
    The only thing interesting about it is the first sentence, 'Let There Be light', well maybe second sentence. It sounds like it could describe the big bang. The rest is just pure poppycock.
    I'm not sure that light was the first thing that was in the BigBang.
    If the bible said "let there be energy" it would be more acurate.
    Yes, I know, light can be treated as electromagnetic radiation = energy, but I'm not sure that this EM rad was even possible in this ultrahot environment, when not even quarks had formed protons yet...
    On the other hand, the bible is not known to be scientific.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 05:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm not sure that light was the first thing that was in the BigBang.
    If the bible said "let there be energy" it would be more acurate.
    Yes, I know, light can be treated as electromagnetic radiation = energy, but I'm not sure that this EM rad was even possible in this ultrahot environment, when not even quarks had formed protons yet...
    On the other hand, the bible is not known to be scientific.
    To be accurate, it would need to say, the heavens were void, then there was energy, then 400,000 years later there was light, the time when the universe went transparent. But it was interesting that they chose that metaphor in the biblical tale.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 06:55
    To be accurate, it would need to say, the heavens were void, then there was energy, then 400,000 years later there was light, the time when the universe went transparent. But it was interesting that they chose that metaphor in the biblical tale.
    There are a lot of tales of how everything started. Some of them have details with resemblance of today's science. Doesn't mean that there is any truth in them.

A parallel: The ancient greeks invented the principle of atoms - undividable. Now we have an atom theory. This didn't mean that the greeks knew anything about atoms as they are known today, it was just a way to explain the (at the time) unexplainable.

Man have always thought of how it once began. Many tailes from various places and cultures of the earth are trying to describe the events leading to the world as we know it now. "let there be light" story is just one of them. As right and as wrong as the others.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 07:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    There are a lot of tales of how everything started. Some of them have details with resemblance of today's science. Doesn't mean that there is any truth in them.

A parallel: The ancient greeks invented the principle of atoms - undividable. Now we have an atom theory. This didn't mean that the greeks knew anything about atoms as they are known today, it ...[text shortened]... t now. "let there be light" story is just one of them. As right and as wrong as the others.
    I agree with you 100 percent. Sometimes excellent guesses are made which is a testament to the abilities of mankind. I was impressed no end by the first real estimate of the size of the earth back in ancient greek times, who was it, Euripedes? measured the earth with a couple of sticks placed 1000 miles apart. Pretty astounding stuff, I thought. He got it pretty darn close too, like 25,000 odd miles, all based on the length of the shadow at noon and knowing some trig. And the indivisiblity of the atom thing isn's over yet, we are still wrestling with the concepts of quarks, are they made up of even more fundie particles, eh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree