1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 01:15
    As we know. The bible says God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

Can anyone here confidently define the unit of time the bible calls a "day?" If so, please elaborate.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 02:17
    Originally posted by sumydid
    As we know. The bible says God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

Can anyone here confidently define the unit of time the bible calls a "day?" If so, please elaborate.
    Why would a creature which lives "outside of time" take 6 days, hours or nano-seconds for creation? Why not do it instantaneously?

And can anyone tell me why an all-powerful deity needs to take a rest?
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 02:44
    So, essentially, your answer is, "I don't know."

Anyone else?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 02:54

No. Nor can anyone else. Next?
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 03:18

I don't know if this answers your question, but it was an interesting article.
    http://goodnewspirit.com/footnote_Q101b.htm
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 03:53

Anyone else?
    His answer tells you what it's not.
    I often find when presented with these daunting questions that the process of elimination is a good way to go about it.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 03:562 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why would a creature which lives "outside of time" take 6 days, hours or nano-seconds for creation? Why not do it instantaneously?

And can anyone tell me why an all-powerful deity needs to take a rest?
    I pretty much agree with this, more or less.

My brand of "creationism" which includes things like abiogenisis and evolution doesn't sit well either camp.

Do you not think that this is one of the parts of the bible which has been "doctored"? (edit: this question is mainly for sumydid, but anyone can have a crack)
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 04:05

Anyone else?
    I rather thought his answer drew attention to the folly of dissecting a metaphor.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:112 edits

No—the Hebrew word yom did not refer necessarily to a “day”, but to an unspecified period of time (e.g., a year, any point in time, an unspecified duration, as well as a day). The phrase v’yehei erev v’yehei boqer*, “there became evening and there became morning”, is clearly metaphorical (sun and moon were not created until the fourth “day” ) and FMF’s comment holds—actually, it is the important response. Biblical Hebrew is not really very amenable to specific, literalistic renderings anyway—which is why Judaism as a whole tends to eschew what rabbi and scholar Marc-Alain Ouaknin called the “idolatry of the one right meaning”.

* My transliteration from the Hebrew; not sure if it's standard, but ought to be close.
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:14
    Well I find this interesting. With all the responses from the skeptics, not a one has attacked the seemingly nonsensical notion that the universe was created in 6 days. Instead, the skeptics are freely admitting that the 6 day creation story is simply metaphor.

Ok, well that's great. So I guess that leaves the believers. Have any of the believers formed an opinion about the 6-day creation?

There are websites out there which argue for a literal 6 Earth day creation. I am finding it difficult to believe that there isn't a single skeptic here that wishes to hold the bible accountable for suggesting such a thing, and, thus far not a single believer has stepped up to defend a 6 Earth day creation.

I simply formed the question because I wished to present my own ideas in opposition; but *scratching head* I'm finding that I have no opposition! Didn't expect that. 🙂
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:172 edits
    I'm a fundamentalist (in the strict sense of the word, not the derogatory "fundy" ). I believe the entire universe was created in literally 6 days.

And no, that's not a reversal of my position in the prior post.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:181 edit
    Well I find this interesting. With all the responses from the skeptics, not a one has attacked the seemingly nonsensical notion that the universe was created in 6 days. Instead, the skeptics are freely admitting that the 6 day creation story is simply metaphor.
    Is there a reason think that anybody seriously believes the '6 day creation' story?

edit:
    I believe the entire universe was created in literally 6 days.

Oh, ok.
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    I rather thought his answer drew attention to the folly of dissecting a metaphor.
    No, I'm sorry but wolfgang did not mention anything about metaphor. Instead, he attacked the God hypothesis by suggesting that the bible makes no sense in the first place because all God has to do is snap His fingers to make everything happen, so, obviously He wouldn't have made any effort otherwise.

I find that argument to be a copout. I mean, my goodness... why would God have done ANYTHING then. That argument begins and ends right there with no additional relevant dialog possible.
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is there a reason think that anybody seriously believes the '6 day creation' story?

edit:
    [b]I believe the entire universe was created in literally 6 days.

Oh, ok.[/b]
    No intiendo mi amigo.

Can you rephrase?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 05:24
    No, I'm sorry but wolfgang did not mention anything about metaphor. Instead, he attacked the God hypothesis by suggesting that the bible makes no sense in the first place because all God has to do is snap His fingers to make everything happen, so, obviously He wouldn't have made any effort otherwise.

I find that argument to be a copout. I mean, my goodn ...[text shortened]... then. That argument begins and ends right there with no additional relevant dialog possible.
    So you expected wolfgang59 to respond to you from a Christian, bible-believing point of view?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree