1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 01:44
    Acts 2:15

So, in chapter 2 of Acts, the Holy Spirit "settled" on the crowd, and their resulting behavior drew accusations of them being drunk.

So, Peter comes to the crowds defense by saying they're not drunk, because it's only 9am, and that's much too early for being drunk.

I found this exchange to be a little amusing, because Peter seems to imply that later in the day is a much better time to be drunk.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 09:42
    Originally posted by @chaney3

So, in chapter 2 of Acts, the Holy Spirit "settled" on the crowd, and their resulting behavior drew accusations of them being drunk.

So, Peter comes to the crowds defense by saying they're not drunk, because it's only 9am, and that's much too early for being drunk.

I found this exchange to be a little amusing, because Peter seems to imply that later in the day is a much better time to be drunk.
    You have an astonishing ability to miss a point or even ignore it completely.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 10:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Incorrect. I get the point of Pentecost, and what Peter was trying to say.
    However, he could have just said "no, they're not drunk".
    But he didn't.
    Why he felt a need to add that it's much too early to be drunk is a point within a point.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:031 edit
    Incorrect. I get the point of Pentecost, and what Peter was trying to say.
    However, he could have just said "no, they're not drunk".
    But he didn't.
    Why he felt a need to add that it's much too early to be drunk is a point within a point.
    It was probably culturally or religiously unacceptable to be drinking before certain hours; he’s just pointing that out to the onlookers. It’s not complicated.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:15
    His mind is on the alcohol.. clearly 😀
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:17
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    His mind is on the alcohol.. clearly 😀
    I sincerely hope he stays off it as he is a much better poster without it.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:21
    Oh the irony!

It WAS too early in the morning to be drunk. So, by pointing out that obvious circumstance Peter dismissed the idea that anyone was drunk, and proclaimed in fact that what was being witnessed was the fulfillment of Joel's prophesy.

For heaven's sake divegeester, everyone knows that the morning is the time for recovering from being drunk the night before. 😉
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:24
    It was probably culturally or religiously unacceptable to be drinking before certain hours; he’s just pointing that out to the onlookers. It’s not complicated.
    In case you didn't know, it is biblically "unacceptable" to be drinking and getting drunk at all.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:24
    Originally posted by @secondson
    It WAS too early in the morning to be drunk. So, by pointing out that obvious circumstance Peter dismissed the idea that anyone was drunk, and proclaimed in fact that what was being witnessed was the fulfillment of Joel's prophesy.
    Thanks for agreeing with me.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:25
    In case you didn't know, it is biblically "unacceptable" to be drinking and getting drunk at all.
    Do you think Peter should have pointed that out?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 11:41
    According to your logic Jesus Christ was a drunk [and a glutton] as well. Here is how you think :

People say Jesus is God and they therefore persecuted and eventually crucified Him.
    Therefore Jesus is God.

People say Jesus was a winebibber [a wino or a drunk] The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners.(Matthew 11:19 KJV)
    Therefore Jesus was a drunk

So it does not appear that being a drunk is unacceptable if people say Jesus did it. Remember its all about what people say. What Jesus says is not important.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 12:21
    Did not Jesus turn water into wine so that some drunk people could drink even more? So much for getting drunk being "biblically unacceptable".
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 12:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Did not Jesus turn water into wine so that some drunk people could drink even more? So much for getting drunk being "biblically unacceptable".
    Here is another one. Noah got drunk and his son Ham apparently saw him naked and this son was cursed because of that.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 21:171 edit

Its always 9am somewhere, not to mention it should be no ones business when somene drinks alcohol. . Their behaviour is their own responsibility however if all they could come up with was "accusations of them being drunk" , then that would get them maybe a charge of "public nuscence " . Maybe. LOL
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 21:20
    I sincerely hope he stays off it as he is a much better poster without it.
    You're going to have to stop blaming the grog and realize that people's beliefs come from themselves and not from the drugs they ingest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree