1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '10 15:09
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Prayer = The idea that God's plans are so whimsically trivial that He'll change for you if you beg hard enough.
    Prayer in its pure sense is a connection made with God in ones heart space, and is never a petition about wants, but is a reaching out with love and acceptance.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 02:307 edits
    Prayer = The idea that God's plans are so whimsically trivial that He'll change for you if you beg hard enough.
    It is a fair question. Why would a finite being pray to a being who is all knowing and is all powerful? What possible contribution could the other party have to the mix?

Of course, free will is the key. It is the one element that God has CHOSEN to relinquish control over in our lives. As a result, he needs us to conform our will to his, hence, prayer enters the picture. Of course, what I am really discussing is faith. God requires our faith in order to work in certain ways in our lives. Without this consent, he would merely be dictating to us.

You also assume that God is incapable of talking to us. He does so in various ways that may not include an audible voice. It may be through his word or it may be through other people or it may be thoughts popping up in your mind etc.

Of course, prayer is not just asking God for what you want, it is all manner of communication including praise. So if God has provided you with everything that you possess, should he not be praised? It would be akin to your parents bringing you into this world and you showing no gratitude. Of course, to give God gratitude two things must be present. You must have faith that he exists and that he actually loves "the Hand of Hecate". So if these two things were present in your life, wouldn't you pray?

At the heart of it all is a crazy thing called love and without free will it simply does not exist. You might even say that the one thing that God has chosen to relinquish control over, our free will, is the one thing that gains his full attention above all else. Without free will, interacting with creation would be like playing tic tac toe with yourself all day.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 04:12
    I'll say a prayer for you. 😛
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 22:411 edit
    Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

'Your kingdom come, your will be done'- it's not about changing God's plan it's about bringing his plan into action.

But I know you understood that anyway Hand 😉
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 22:532 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Prayer = The idea that Gods ego is so big that it needs stroking regularly.

Prayer = The idea that admitting your sin and asking for forgiveness absolves you.

Prayer = The idea of being able to talk to someone who never talks back.

Prayer = a whole lot easier than actually dealing with your problems.
    Praise is not about flattering God, it's about facts and recognising His status.
    'absolves you'- comes from either Catholic or Muslim variations of hte old testiment. The only way to be clean in God's eyes is by asking Jesus to cover your sin with his sacrifice.
    I've never heard God speak or seen a ever burning bush either. And I've looked and waited. Still hope though. Just knowing He loves me enough to sustain me and create me is enough to keep my faith.
    When the burden is too much, like a child has died, that's when you lift up your problems to the Lord (IMO)- well it's all my opnion init!
  6. Joined
    15 May '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 03:362 edits
    As elucidated by someone who knows God's plans or the reasons why God would be silent and when God would not?

You probably don't even know the most rudimentary things about the Bible, its authors, their context, the literary traditions of antiquity and so on.

Do you also dismiss the freedom of speech because there are so few people who genuinely listen to each other any more? Well, cynicism causes that. You probably know a thing or two about that.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 09:481 edit
    Originally posted by Bayou

As elucidated by someone who knows God's plans or the reasons why God would be silent and when God would not?

You probably don't even know the most rudimentary things about the Bible, its authors, their context, the literary traditions of antiquity and so on.

Do you also dismiss the freedom of speech because there are so few people who genuinely listen ...[text shortened]... each other any more? Well, cynicism causes that. You probably know a thing or two about that.
    Insightful post. Interesting how pressure has always been and still is what life does to all of us, while stress

is what we choose to do to ourselves. Cynicism and bitternes are little more or less than mamifestations.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 16:09
    God doesn't change.

Get it?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 16:142 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    God doesn't change.

Get it?
    an eternity of existence and it hasn't changed!?...add omni-malodorous to its traits 😛
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 16:25
    Originally posted by Agerg
    an eternity of existence and it hasn't changed!?...add omni-malodorous to its traits 😛
    No. God doesn't change.

How could He?
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 17:00
    Hbr 13:8, Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 17:18
    No. God doesn't change.

How could He?
    I think God dose change. Isn't the rainbow his promise to never kill lots of humans again with a flood?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 17:22
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I think God dose change. Isn't the rainbow his promise to never kill lots of humans again with a flood?
    I didn't say God doesn't change what He does.

God Himself, in His nature and character, never changes because you can't improve on perfection.
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 17:52

God Himself, in His nature and character, never changes because you can't improve on perfection.
    no, right, okay- I get ya.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 22:47

You are God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree