1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 09:50
    Originally posted by galveston75
    First do you not notice Jesus said "paradise", not heaven. Has the paradise been restored to earth as in the days of Adam yet?
    Do you not know that the word presence that is used in the Bible in the context that is refered to with Jesus means he is present by his affect on humans? Can not someone have an affect on others in many ways but not actually b ...[text shortened]... n that "same day" they died?
    Come on Manny..your too smart for this. Do the math..........
    So Manny....did that scripture mean he was going to be with Jesus as you say in that "same day" they died?

Yes of course it does. It makes perfect mathematical sense.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 11:112 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]So Manny....did that scripture mean he was going to be with Jesus as you say in that "same day" they died?

Yes of course it does. It makes perfect mathematical sense.[/b]
    this doesn't answer any of Galvos points, no not even a smidgen!

PARADISE
    A beautiful park, or a parklike garden. The Greek word 'paradeisos', occurs three times in the Christian Greek Scriptures. (Lu 23:43; 2Co 12:4; Re 2:7) Greek writers as far back as Xenophon (c. 431-352 B.C.E.) used the word (pairidaeza), and Pollux attributed it to Persian sources. (Cyropaedia, I, iii, 14; Anabasis, I, ii, 7; Onomasticon, IX, 13)

Some lexicographers would derive the Hebrew word pardes (meaning, basically, a park) from the same source. But since Solomon (of the 11th century B.C.E.) used pardes in his writings, whereas existing Persian writings go back only to about the sixth century B.C.E., such derivation of the Hebrew term is only conjectural. (Ec 2:5; Ca 4:13) The remaining use of pardes is at Nehemiah 2:8, where reference is made to a royal wooded park of Persian King Artaxerxes Longimanus, in the fifth century B.C.E.

The three terms (Hebrew pardes, Persian pairidaeza, and Greek paradeisos), however, all convey the basic idea of a beautiful park or parklike garden. The first such park was that made by man’s Creator, Jehovah God, in Eden. (Ge 2:8, 9, 15) It is called a gan, or “garden,” in Hebrew but was obviously parklike in size and nature. The Greek Septuagint appropriately uses the term paradeisos with reference to that garden.

What is the Paradise that Jesus promised to the evildoer who died alongside him?
    Luke’s account shows that an evildoer, being executed alongside Jesus Christ, spoke words in Jesus defense and requested that Jesus remember him when he ‘got into his kingdom.’ Jesus’ reply was: “Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.” (Lu 23:39-43) The punctuation shown in the rendering of these words must, of course, depend on the translators understanding of the sense of Jesus words, since no punctuation was used in the original Greek text.

Punctuation in the modern style did not become common until about the ninth century C.E. Whereas many translations place a comma before the word “today” and thereby give the impression that the evildoer entered Paradise that same day, there is nothing in the rest of the Scriptures to support this. Jesus himself was dead and in the tomb until the third day and was then resurrected as “the firstfruits” of the resurrection. (Ac 10:40; 1Co 15:20; Col 1:18) He ascended to heaven 40 days later.—Joh 20:17; Ac 1:1-3, 9.

The evidence is, therefore, that Jesus use of the word “today” was not to give the time of the evildoer’s being in Paradise but, rather, to call attention to the time in which the promise was being made and during which the evildoer had shown a measure of faith in Jesus. It was a day when Jesus had been rejected and condemned by the highest-ranking religious leaders of his own people and was thereafter sentenced to die by Roman authority. He had become an object of scorn and ridicule. So the wrongdoer alongside him had shown a notable quality and commendable heart attitude in not going along with the crowd but, rather, speaking out in Jesus’ behalf and expressing belief in his coming Kingship. Recognizing that the emphasis is correctly placed on the time of the promise’s being made rather than on the time of its fulfillment, other translations, such as those in English by Rotherham and Lamsa, those in German by Reinhardt and W. Michaelis, as well as the Curetonian Syriac of the fifth century C.E., rendered the text in a form similar to the reading of the New World Translation, quoted herein.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 12:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this doesn't answer any of Galvos points, no not even a smidgen!

[b]PARADISE

A beautiful park, or a parklike garden. The Greek word 'paradeisos', occurs three times in the Christian Greek Scriptures. (Lu 23:43; 2Co 12:4; Re 2:7) Greek writers as far back as Xenophon (c. 431-352 B.C.E.) used the word (pairidaeza), and Pollux attributed it to P ...[text shortened]... ndered the text in a form similar to the reading of the New World Translation, quoted herein.[/b]
    This is clearly just a case of forcing Scripture to fit doctrine. I have two principle objections:

1. The argument that paradise must mean something different (although the article fails to offer any explanation of what) depends on an a priori assumption that the soul is not immortal. The argument runs, 'Jesus Christ's body was in the tomb for three days and therefore he could not have been with the thief'. However, to those who do believe in the immortality of the soul, this argument is obviously weak. The idea that the souls of Jesus and the thief are together in paradise is quite plausible.

2. The idea that 'today' refers to the time the promise was made is totally counter-intuitive, even if you insert a comma. Why would Jesus need to bring attention to the time of the promise?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 13:323 edits
    This is clearly just a case of forcing Scripture to fit doctrine. I have two principle objections:

1. The argument that paradise must mean something different (although the article fails to offer any explanation of what) depends on an a priori assumption that the soul is not immortal. The argument runs, 'Jesus Christ's body was in the tomb for thr if you insert a comma. Why would Jesus need to bring attention to the time of the promise?
    article addresses both these rather weak and beggarly objections, in detail, with supporting reference. 'scripture to fit doctrine', is as per usual, merely the assertion of an unsubstantiated opinion, given the overwhelming scriptural, linguistic, historical, contextual and chronological evidence to the contrary. Paradise is not heaven, Christ did not enter heaven that day, translators have realised that the emphasis is on the time that the promise was made rather than its fulfilment. Your assertions to the contrary are bumf and soundly refuted.

1.you shall need to prove that paradise is synonymous with heaven and that is what Christ was referring to, despite the linguistic evidence to the contrary.

2.you shall need to prove that the thief and Christ actually went to heaven on that day, despite the internal biblical chronology.

3.you shall need to state why you have placed the emphasis on the promises fulfilment in that it was fulfilled that day rather than on the time that it was made.

4.you shall need to explain why the bible states that Christ was dead for three days prior to his execution and did not immediately ascend to heaven for another forty days, without introducing the ASSUMPTION, that his soul transcends some place else, for which you have no textual evidence.

all in all, you have rather a lot of explaining to do.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:04
    article addresses both these rather weak and beggarly objections, in detail, with supporting reference. 'scripture to fit doctrine', is as per usual, merely the assertion of an unsubstantiated opinion, given the overwhelming scriptural, linguistic, historical, contextual and chronological evidence to the contrary. Paradise is not heaven, Christ did ...[text shortened]... which you have no textual evidence.

all in all, you have rather a lot of explaining to do.
    Your incorrect interpretation here is the direct result of another incorrect interpretation of a statement by Christ. What is happening to you is similar in principle to people who lie once and have to lie again to cover up that lie.

Christ said:
    Matt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If a man can kill the body but cannot kill the soul then body and soul are distinct and separate. The body dies but the soul lives. Only God can kill the soul.

The body of Christ and the body of the thief on the cross both went to the grave but their souls went elsewhere... according to Christ, to paradise.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:341 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    First do you not notice Jesus said "paradise", not heaven. Has the paradise been restored to earth as in the days of Adam yet?
    Do you not know that the word presence that is used in the Bible in the context that is refered to with Jesus means he is present by his affect on humans? Can not someone have an affect on others in many ways but not actually b ...[text shortened]... n that "same day" they died?
    Come on Manny..your too smart for this. Do the math..........
    Ok the key word is Today. Christ said today. So tell me what the Greek word is that was used for Today. Christ said this not me. Mind you I'm not even trying to argue Heaven just that the thief was fully aware after his death in this context. He would be with Jesus When??? Today. Your twisting what is written.
    Excellent point that Conrau makes is the point about time. Jesus said this......Today.

Manny
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:41
    [b]So Manny....did that scripture mean he was going to be with Jesus as you say in that "same day" they died?

Yes of course it does. It makes perfect mathematical sense.[/b]
    Indeed.

Manny
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:45
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Your incorrect interpretation here is the direct result of another incorrect interpretation of a statement by Christ. What is happening to you is similar in principle to people who lie once and have to lie again to cover up that lie.

Christ said:
    Matt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him whi ...[text shortened]... cross both went to the grave but their souls went elsewhere... according to Christ, to paradise.
    flick ding! another fly near my Chardonnay! no truth, no references, nothing but mere opinion, masquerading as truth, flickety flick and dingety ding.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:45
    Originally posted by menace71
    Ok the key word is Today. Christ said today. So tell me what the Greek word is that was used for Today. Christ said this not me. Mind you I'm not even trying to argue Heaven just that the thief was fully aware after his death in this context. He would be with Jesus When??? Today. Your twisting what is written.
    Excellent point that Conrau makes is the point about time. Jesus said this......Today.

Manny
    please tell the forum why paradise is not heaven.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:462 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    Indeed.

Manny
    please tell the forum why Christ was dead for three days and why you are saying that he went to heaven (paradise is the real word) that very day, even though the ascriptures are clear that he did not go to heaven for another forty days.

please tell the forum why all your arguments have been refuted and are lying on the forum floor ready to be swept up and put in the bin.

please tell the forum why you are averse to truth.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:48
    please tell the forum why Christ was dead for three days and why you are saying that he went to heaven (paradise is the real word) that very day.
    More shout-downs from a guy who hasn't the foggiest about the person and nature of the Lord Jesus Christ...

Keep fighting the good fight, though, bro!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:493 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    More shout-downs from a guy who hasn't the foggiest about the person and nature of the Lord Jesus Christ...

Keep fighting the good fight, though, bro!
    either answer the question or flick ding!

when you obey Christs words to preach the good news from house to house, then perhaps you will have recourse to tell others whether they know the personage of Christ, or like most of those nominal Americans christians who drive to church in their SUV's every Sunday, have not the faintest idea. Forever learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. It is to laugh!
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 14:55
    either answer the question or flick ding!

when you obey Christs words to preach the good news from house to house, then perhaps you will have recourse to tell others whether they know the personage of Christ, or like most of those nominal Americans christians who drive to church in their SUV's every Sunday, have not the faintest idea. Forever learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. It is to laugh!
    False prophets going from house to house.
    Yeah right !! Thats exactly what Christ wants ...😀
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 16:012 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    False prophets going from house to house.
    Yeah right !! Thats exactly what Christ wants ...😀
    (Matthew 25:24-30) 24 “Finally the one that had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow. So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’  In reply his master said to him, ‘Wicked and sluggish slave, you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow?  Well, then, you ought to have deposited my silver monies with the bankers, and on my arrival I would be receiving what is mine with interest.  “‘Therefore take away the talent from him and give it to him that has the ten talents.  For to everyone that has, more will be given and he will have abundance; but as for him that does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.  And throw the good-for-nothing slave out into the darkness outside. There is where his weeping and the gnashing of his teeth will be.’

Tell it to the Christ sister!
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 16:08
    (Matthew 25:24-30) 24 “Finally the one that had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow. [b]So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’  In reply his master said to him, ‘Wicked ...[text shortened]... here his weeping and the gnashing of his teeth will be.’

Tell it to the Christ sister![/b]
    The talent of the JWs is make false prophesies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree