A question for atheists

A question for atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by jaywill
What Bang ? Isn't that kind of imprecise scientific language to speak of the Big Bang. I mean there was no air so how could there be a Bang ?

Your expression "Big Bang" is kind of scientifically naive. Maybe you should come up with a more scientifically precise sounding expression.
In no way is "Big Bang" my use of words, it's an actually theory and I am saying I don't support it...can we get to the actual question?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by TheBadBishop
The first verse of he Bible, inspired by the words of God himself "In the beggining God created the heaves and the earth", I don't see how you can disagree with the word created? and instead of arguing over words, why not address the actually question?
You're not listening.

What film plays in your head when you read the creation story in Genesis?

j

Moves
05 Sep 08
4 edits

Originally posted by black beetle
Hi jaywill🙂

Hi FF, AH dude, BdN and everybody😉
HI,

I mean "Big Bang?" Do you want people three hundred years from now to smile and say "Those guys back in the 21rst century didn't know too much you know? They called the beginning of the Cosmos a Big Bang ... Chuckle Chuckle. Kind of superstitious, don't you think?"

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
05 Sep 08

In no way is "Big Bang" my use of words, it's an actually theory and I am saying I don't support it...can we get to the actual question?
I repeat, TheBadBishop dude:

You are free to believe whatever you want, but can you be specific regarding the Bib Bang? I asked you which part/ parts of the theory you estimate that they are false because I understood that you prefer some other theory or explanation. If your intention was just to say that you have a specific religion which contradicts with the Big Bang and therefore you dismiss this theory in the name of your faith, OK then, kindly please feel free to have your religion;

j

Moves
05 Sep 08
1 edit

If you look carefully I think you'll see that that reply was directed not to you but to Black Beetle.

T

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You're not listening.

What film plays in your head when you read the creation story in Genesis?
no film is playing in my head, i quoted the bible directly. I think that if God himself says he created the universe, i dont think you can say that the word create isnt fit.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 08

Quite the contrary.

To say that God created the world is not to worship the world. Therefore it is not to make an idol to replace God.

Much of what I know about idols from the Bible never ever suggests that to acknolwedge God as the Creator is to make an idol.
Does God sit on a throne?

T

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by black beetle
I repeat, TheBadBishop dude:

You are free to believe whatever you want, but can you be specific regarding the Bib Bang? I asked you which part/ parts of the theory you estimate that they are false because I understood that you prefer some other theory or explanation. If your intention was just to say that you have a specific religion which contradict ...[text shortened]... s this theory in the name of your faith, OK then, kindly please feel free to have your religion;
Yeha sorry, I misinterpretted what you were asking. I am christian, though that does not neccesarily disagree with the big bang theory. I am arguing for intelligent design, that everything that we are and surrounds us is far to complex to happen by chance.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 08
1 edit

Yeha sorry, I misinterpretted what you were asking. I am christian, though that does not neccesarily disagree with the big bang theory. I am arguing for intelligent design, that everything that we are and surrounds us is far to complex to happen by chance.
Why do you need to argue that? You'll only be entangled in the snares of pseudo-science.

If you have a beef with 'Big Bang' theory, address it in terms of science. But the theory can't negate your belief in God, and you probably don't have the scientific background either, so why bother?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
05 Sep 08

So you are not talking about the big bang but for the genesis of Life here on Earth?

F

Moves
05 Sep 08

This might interest you:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spinoza-modal/

It branches out from Spinoza's view that “in nature there is nothing contingent, but all things have been determined from the necessity of the divine nature to exist and produce an effect in a certain way” (EIp29) and that “things could have been produced by God in no other way, and in no other order than they have been produced” (EIp33).
Spinoza doesn't interest me much. And he didn't interest himself of BigBang theory either, mostly because the BB theory was not there during his life.
He was born 1632 and died 1677 in an era when religion was a main part of everyman's world. Now we live in 21st centurey and know a lot more about science.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Spinoza doesn't interest me much. And he didn't interest himself of BigBang theory either, mostly because the BB theory was not there during his life.
He was born 1632 and died 1677 in an era when religion was a main part of everyman's world. Now we live in 21st centurey and know a lot more about science.
He corresponded with Newton, you insufferable dolt.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Sep 08

The earth and nature is such a beatiful place, and we are surrounded by amazing breath taking sights, even something as simple as the existance of a tree amazes me (for example how something as tall and mighty as a tree that has the ability live for hundreds of years came from a seed). So if there is no god out there who created it all, how does this be ...[text shortened]... ust don't see how this beatiful world could have been created by an explosion.

Any comments?
Who created God? or do you get so amazed by him that you dont even begin to apply the same logic to him?

Lets look at your skepticism in more detail:
Do you believe that something beautiful / complex / amazing can never come from something less beautiful / complex / amazing without the assistance of some supreme being even if the difference is very slight?
Is it simply that you do not understand enough of science and the theories about the Big Bang and star / planet formation and the origins and evolution of life that you doubt them, or is it that you think you do know enough to think that there are flaws in them that you can identify?
Have you ever come accross a mathematical object called the Mandelbro set? Look it up. Its existence more or less proves you wrong.

F

Moves
05 Sep 08

What Bang ? Isn't that kind of imprecise scientific language to speak of the Big Bang. I mean there was no air so how could there be a Bang ?

Your expression "Big Bang" is kind of scientifically naive. Maybe you should come up with a more scientifically precise sounding expression.
It's not an expression from black beetle, the very name was invented by Sir Fred Hoyle as an attempt to ridicule the Big Bang theorists at that time. He himself didn't believe that the universe had a start at all. He thought the universe was eternal and in a steady state of equilibrium, i.e. not created, ever. His idea was called the Stady State theory.

Now we know by observations that the Universe as we see it today was started some 14 billion of years ago, not in a Big Bang because there were no sound as we percieve it, but a fast expansion from (near to) nothing to this what we observe today.

The christian community parised this new idea of BigBang theory, because it gave them a chance to believe in a creation by god. Now, I'm sorry to say, some creationists can't differ Darwinian Evolution from BigBang. Ignorance, anti-science, or pure stupidity? You tell me.

Hi yourself, black beetle! 🙂

F

Moves
05 Sep 08

He corresponded with Newton, you insufferable dolt.
Neither did Newton know anything about BigBang... 😛