1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:081 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    According to the source you cited, is hell reservered for people such as Jews who refuse to believe in Jesus and who refuse to convert to Christianity? Or when it speaks of those who "refuse to believe and be converted," is it refering strictly to non-Jews?
    No, Dear Doctor. Maybe it would be a good idea to read the Cathechism of the Catholic Church from beginning to end and after that the encyclicals "Veritatis Splendor" ["The Splendor of Truth"] and "Fides et Ratio" ["Faith and Reason"].

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0222/_INDEX.HTM

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:112 edits
    What is the referent of "those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted?" Is it just what it means in plain language, or are those terms defined at an earlier place in the document? I don't see how it couldn't include Jews without some unusual definitions, since two defining characteristics of Jews are their refusal to accept Christ as their saviour, and also their failure to have converted to Catholicism.

I'm not interesetd in other references yet. I want to understand this one before moving on. If it is the authoritative source, then it shouldn't require others to be understood.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:12
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Of course its gray. God will be doing the judging, not you or me. I believe in God's revealed moral law: firstly through our conscience and then through inspired scripture. We are answerable firstly to our conscience.
    My conscience is in opposition to Scripture. How does that work?
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:141 edit
    What is the referent of "those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted?" Is it just what it means in plain language, or are those terms defined at an earlier place in the document. I don't see how it couldn't include Jews without some unusual definitions.

I'm not interesetd in other references yet. I want to unders ...[text shortened]... ving on. If it is the authoritative source, then it shouldn't require others to be understood.
    I'm afraid you will not be able to understand without reading the whole document ..... and even after that many questions will remain. The Roman-Catholic Faith is as simple and as complicated as life itself.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:162 edits
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I'm afraid you will not be able to understand without reading the whole document ..... and even after that many questions will remain. The Roman-Catholic Faith is as simple or as complicated as life itself.
    Do you understand what the three items in question mean? Are each of them correct and well-defined, and are they collectively consistent?

Can you deduce from your understanding of them whether there is a place in hell for Jews who don't believe in Jesus or convert to Catholicism? I don't understand why you continually dodge this question.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:18
    Do you understand what the three items in question mean? Are each of them correct and well-defined, and are they collectively consistent?

Can you deduce from your understanding of them whether there is a place in hell for Jews who don't believe in Jesus or convert to Catholicism? I don't understand why you continually dodge this question.
    Yes, they are consistent, but I'm afraid not in a way you are used to, meaning in a mathematical way.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:191 edit
    Yes, they are consistent, but I'm afraid not in a way you are used to, meaning in a mathematical way.
    Is it consistent, in your special sort of consistency, with your understanding of them that there is a place in hell for Jews who don't believe in Jesus or convert to Catholicism? I don't understand why you continually dodge this question.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:252 edits
    So, you admit either that the terms of the document entail logical contradictions or that they are based on equivocation?

If they entail contradictions, I can use them to demonstrate anything at all, such as "Gay priests are the best."

If they are based on equivocation, then nobody can know what the document means.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:251 edit

Dr.S.: "Can you deduce from your understanding of them whether there is a place in hell for Jews who don't believe in Jesus or convert to Catholicism? I don't understand why you continually dodge this question.[/b]

I am not dodging the question. It is an impossible one.

There is no "place in hell for Jews". It simply doesn't make any sense.

We are all judged by God on a personal basis. In deciding whether a person goes to heaven or hell God does not use the criterium of being a Jew or not, not even the question whether someone is a Christian or Roman-Catholic is a decisive criterium.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:281 edit

I am not dodging the question. It is an impossible one.

There is no "place in hell for Jews". It simply doesn't make any sense.
    What about it doesn't make sense?

Does it make sense to say that there is a place reserved in hell for those who refuse to believe and convert?

Does it make sense to say that Jews don't believe and haven't converted?
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:441 edit

We are all judged by God on a personal basis. In deciding whether a person goes to heaven or hell God does not use the criterium of being a Jew or not, not even the question whether someone is a Christian or Roman-Catholic is a decisive criterium.
    Why does the section on hell speak about those who refuse to convert, and say that there is a place in hell reserved for them?
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:51
    So, you admit either that the terms of the document entail logical contradictions or that they are based on equivocation?

If they entail contradictions, I can use them to demonstrate anything at all, such as "Gay priests are the best."

If they are based on equivocation, then nobody can know what the document means.
    Dear Doctor Scribbles, you've got a problem in the field of Roman-Catholic issues. One the one hand you are trying to understand .... I hope ... and on the other hand you are so eager in "refuting" whatever is stated in whatever document in whatever context about whatever subject that, as a logical consequense, you entangle yourself in all kinds of difficulties concerning understanding and interpreting the text at hand. In other words, you are biting off more than you can chew.

Thoroughly reading the Cathechismus doesn't take long for a person of your intellectual status. If you don't understand some issue, just continue reading and more often than you think the issue will become more and more clear as you read on.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:54
    I have to go now. See ya 🙂
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 00:56

Thoroughly reading the Cathechismus doesn't take long for a person of your intellectual status. If you don't understand some issue, just continue reading and more often than you think the issue will become more and more clear as you read on.
    Is it true that the statements of the document are not consistent in a mathematical sense?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 01:00
    I have to go now. See ya 🙂
    Boooooooooooooo! Come back when you're ready to play hardball.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree