1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 04:33
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yikes. This literal interpretation thing just gets weirder and weirder -- rabbit hole style. Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

Then I guess Eden would have been something like a real life Jurassic Park?
    No, because all the dinosaurs were vegetarians in Eden. See Genesis 1:29-30.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 04:501 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    No, because all the dinosaurs were vegetarians in Eden. See Genesis 1:29-30.
    Genesis 1:29-30 "Blah blah blah, tree, yadda yadda yadda, green herb, fruit, yakety yakety yak...and it was so."

You're right; that clears up my misconception. I guess God went a little overboard when He gave some of the theropods sharp, serrated teeth.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:07
    Genesis 1:29-30 "Blah blah blah, tree, yadda yadda yadda, green herb, fruit, yakety yakety yak...and it was so."

You're right; that clears up my misconception. I guess God went a little overboard when He gave some of the theropods sharp, serrated teeth.
    It's all explained by our helpful Christian pamphets:

Could it be that tyrannosaurs were mostly plant-eaters, not meat-eaters? The shape of their teeth alone can't tell us what they ate. Perhaps they used their sharp teeth and claws to tear up tough plants and fruits, not dinosaurs. Obviously sharp teeth can serve other purposes than simply cutting meat, just as kitchen knives can be used for cutting carrots as well as steaks.

http://www.christiananswers.net/dinosaurs/j-trex.html

I personally always use my steak knives for cutting lettuce.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's all explained by our helpful Christian pamphets:

Could it be that tyrannosaurs were mostly plant-eaters, not meat-eaters? The shape of their teeth alone can't tell us what they ate. Perhaps they used their sharp teeth and claws to tear up tough plants and fruits, not dinosaurs. Obviously sharp teeth can serve other purposes than simply c ...[text shortened]... .net/dinosaurs/j-trex.html

I personally always use my steak knives for cutting lettuce.
    My cats use their claws and teeth to shred and eat tree bark! So, there you go.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:16
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Those people who say that dinosaurs existed after the flood aren't true Christians. How, after all, would Noah fit dinosaurs on the Ark!
    The dinosaur kind was taken on the Ark in the form of eggs. The compressed food available on the Ark may have killed them, or have been insufficiently nutritious to allow them to grow to their proper size. Either way, the dinosaurs were reduced to midget status and, when the waters subsided, slunk away like the tiny reptiles they have been ever since.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:18
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The dinosaur kind was taken on the Ark in the form of eggs. The compressed food available on the Ark may have killed them, or have been insufficiently nutritious to allow them to grow to their proper size. Either way, the dinosaurs were reduced to midget status and, when the waters subsided, slunk away like the tiny reptiles they have been ever since.
    Oh, really?? Well, explain the dragon on the Bulgarian postage stamp, Mr. Know-it-All!😠
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:23
    Oh, really?? Well, explain the dragon on the Bulgarian postage stamp, Mr. Know-it-All!😠
    The Bulgarian imagination is notoriously hyperbolic, especially in matters of national pride. No doubt the postage stamp was a coded allegorical tribute to the spirit of King Krum.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:52
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Do you suppose Tyrannosaurus Rex was an herbivore in Eden?

For some reason, I thought you believed that God put millions of years old dinosaur fossils into the earth at creation. I guess I had you confused with pcaspian. At any rate, how do you account for those very old fossils, and no recent fossils, if dinosaurs lived 6000 years ago?

Dr. S ...[text shortened]... member our previous discussion regarding your theory that Noah brought dinosaur eggs on the ark.
    You assume they are very old fossils. I just believe they are
    fossils and that the dates we place on them are not what modern
    man thinks they are. I believe I have had that conversation more
    than a few times here. There are a lot of assumptions when it
    comes to fossils, as those that people make when they attempt
    to connect the dots on what creatures are related to others in the
    grand family tree of evolution. I do not believe I ever said
    dinosaur eggs were on the ark, but young ones, which wouldn't
    have been as large as those that were made at the start of
    creation. As far as what everything ate, you can read that for
    yourself no need to guess.

Genesis 1: 27-31 (NIV)

27 So God created man in his own image,
    in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

The list that ate every green plant was quite large as you see.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 05:53
    Yikes. This literal interpretation thing just gets weirder and weirder -- rabbit hole style. Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

Then I guess Eden would have been something like a real life Jurassic Park?
    Without the need of protection from the animals correct, until after
    the fall of man that is.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 07:52
    This thread comes about as close as anything ever does to driving me to drink.

πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅πŸ™„πŸ˜΅
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:31
    The way I understand the YEC model, Dinosaurs existed with Adam & (St)Eve in the Eden. The animals were vegetarians, just like the humans at the time. After the fall, the food chain as we know it today was established. I don't think the existance of large canines is anything to go on... have you seen the size of em on fruit-bats or monkeys? Noah took em on the ark, obviously young ones. Even Bosse's migratory-reptile-in-an-egg theory is plausible. After the flood, the enviromental conditions were just too harsh and different and they became extinct anyway.

Bbarr alluded (in jest) to Behemoth (and Leviathan) in Job as possible proof of dinosaurs in the Bible.

Triceratops and dinosaurs similar to the T-Rex have been found engraved on a volcanic type rock in the Nazca desert - Peru. There were oxidation layers and thick encrustations of desert sand over the drawings, so they couldn't have been forged.

The Sioux always had their "Thunder Bird" mythology, which is the spitting image of a Pterosaur Pterodon.

Circumstantial proof, I know... at least this is not just all sucked out of my thumb and the Bible. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:43
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The way I understand the YEC model, Dinosaurs existed with Adam & (St)Eve in the Eden. The animals were vegetarians, just like the humans at the time. After the fall, the food chain as we know it today was established. I don't think the existance of large canines is anything to go on... have you seen the size of em on fruit-bats or monkeys? Noah took em on ...[text shortened]... east this is not just all sucked out of my thumb and the Bible. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
    That's what I'm saying; just like Lord of the Rings is circumstantial proof that elves, trolls, goblins and talking trees lived at the same time as Man.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:461 edit
    That's what I'm saying; just like Lord of the Rings is circumstantial proof that elves, trolls, goblins and talking trees lived at the same time as Man.
    Five hundred years from now, LOR might be holy writ; and even believers will be arguing over literal versus allegorical interpretations.

EDIT: I'm already declaring myself in the allegorical camp--if I'm still around. πŸ˜‰
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:51
    LOTR doesn't even have a cave drawing and has never been considered anything but fantasy. C'mon no1, surely you would have a little more substance than that to toss.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 17:57
    Originally posted by Halitose
    LOTR doesn't even have a cave drawing and has never been considered anything but fantasy. C'mon no1, surely you would have a little more substance than that to toss.
    Surely you are not arguing that cave drawings and other ancient art are proof of the existence of the things that are depicted (no, wait: you are). If so, you must believe that all the dog Gods portrayed in the pyramids used to shop at ancient Egyptian 7-11's and that the Feathered serpent God of the Aztecs owned a chain of Taco Bells.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree