1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 16:021 edit
    This is the third installment in my "A Serious Question" series. The first two have been a success, marked by reasonable, on-topic discussion directly addressing the question at hand. Hopefully we may continue in that vein.

This week's question: Do creationists believe in Pangea - the idea that all of earth's continents used to be interlocked a geologically long time ago? I suppose there are four responses.

1) Yes, the continents have all shifted upon earth's plates from their original interlocking position from the Triassic age.

2) No, God created the continents just as they are today. Nobody has ever actually observed Pangea, and nobody has actually observed a continent in a different position, so there is not conclusive evidence that the continent's positions have drastically changed from the hypothesized original configuration. Pangea is not a testable theory, and thus unscientific.

3) Yes, but the continental rearrangement has taken only several thousands of years; there was no Triassic age.

4) No, although like the fossils, God has put evidence of Pangea in the earth, to either confound man or test his faith.

Please state which option most closely characterizes your beliefs about Pangea. I will be happy to entertain wholly different options as well.
  2. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 16:23
    Seeing as Dinosaurs were apparently real and lived peacefully in the garden of eden, those teeth were just for show, I suspect they will reply that pangea fell apart and seperated continents as part of god's wrath for the apple fiasco.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 16:292 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    This is the third installment in my "A Serious Question" series. The first two have been a success, marked by reasonable, on-topic discussion directly addressing the question at hand. Hopefully we may continue in that vein.

This week's question: Do creationists believe in Pangea - the idea that all of earth's continents used to be interlock ...[text shortened]... rizes your beliefs about Pangea. I will be happy to entertain wholly different options as well.
    I would support (3).

Just FYI, my favourite proponent of Catastrophic plate tectonics is Dr John Baumgardner, working at the Los Alamos National Laboratories (New Mexico, USA), who has used supercomputers to model processes in the earth’s mantle to show that tectonic plate movement could have occurred very rapidly, and ‘spontaneously’.

http://www.ideacenter.org/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/774

Edit2: I think this link rambles on about how the theory works:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/AnswersBook/continental11.asp
  4. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 21:33

This week's question: Do creationists believe in Pangea
    Do the non-creationists have a unified front? or do they fall into different categories on the issue of Pangea?
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 02:20
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Do the non-creationists have a unified front? or do they fall into different categories on the issue of Pangea?
    What about us non Christian theists? Why oh why are we (am I?) always left out of the mix? We're the only ones who are right after all and therefore should be allowed a voice.
  6. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 05:42
    5) I don't know, don't need to know. However, I am open to the notion of Pangea and would like to know.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 06:125 edits
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    I don't suppose there is such a unified front.

I suspect that creationists don't have such a unified front either, hence the four supposed answers I expected to get from various respondents, any one of which is compatible with creationism. I singled out creationists as a class because this is the Spirituality forum and because creationism places several prima facie constraints on believing in Pangea that non-creationists are not faced with. I expect that various creationists conform to these constraints in a variety of ways, reflected in the four given options.

I will rephrase the question if that will lead to more participation, and to the discovery of the answer to your question regarding a unified non-creationist front.

Does anybody believe in Pangea, and is anybody a member of an associated unified front?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 06:27
    I am firmly convinced that God created the continents as they are today.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 06:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I am firmly convinced that God created the continents as they are today.
    So far we have a (2), (3) and (5), so we know that as a class, RHP users do not have a unified front regarding this matter. Who would have guessed?
  10. London
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 08:25
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    5) I don't know, don't need to know. However, I am open to the notion of Pangea and would like to know.
    Are you a creationist?

What is a creationist? Someone who believes in the literal 6-day creation? Or simply someone who believes we were all created?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 08:32
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    What is a creationist?
    Where do you stand on continental drift?
  12. London
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 08:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Where do you stand on continental drift?
    Based on my reading on the subject years ago in a children's encyclopedia, I would have to guess (1). But Omnislash's option - (5) - is not entirely incompatible with (1) and so, while I confess to not having more than a cursory knowledge of Pangea and would like to know more, it's not exactly top of my priority list of things I'd research into.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 09:16

This week's question: Do creationists believe in Pangea - the idea that all of earth's continents used to be interlock ...[text shortened]... rizes your beliefs about Pangea. I will be happy to entertain wholly different options as well.
    and I'm still laughing at Dr. Bloomergarter
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 09:50
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    and I'm still laughing at Dr. Bloomergarter
    I'm glad to note that hilarious surnames bring you out of hiding. I should post more in future as your catalyst views are sorely missed.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 09:52
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I'm glad to note that hilarious surnames bring you out of hiding.
    (listening for squeaks).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree