1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 13:563 edits
    The following is taken from an interview with a prosecutor from a documentary about a team of investigators that seek to prove the innocence of those wrongfully convicted.

In this particular case, four people were shot execution style in a bowling alley. The individual convicted had a history of mental health issues and confessed to the crime. However there are inconsistencies between the forensic evidence and details given in the confession.

Investigator: Could you have convicted him without a confession.

Prosecutor: No.

Investigator: So inconsistencies in his confession - you said that's not enough.

Prosecutor: Before the trial I was not a believer, but I came to know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

Investigator: What does this have to do with the case?

Prosecutor: So when I got this case, I turned the case over to the Lord and said, "Lord I'm going to let you guide and direct me and tell me what to do". I said, "Lord I believe the guy did this, but I want you to be in control".
    On the day we had the start of the hearing, I got an email from "The Upper Room" which was a devotional that I used to get.
    [reading] "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
    If that wasn't a sign to me that I was doing the right thing and that the Lord was with me through all the process, then I don't know what is.

Was this a valid sign from the Lord? Why or why not?

In general, is this a valid approach to problem solving? Why or why not?

Should an individual who subscribes to such an approach be allowed to hold a position that can have such a large impact on the lives of others?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The following is an interview with a prosecutor taken from a documentary about a team of investigators that seek to prove the innocence of those wrongfully convicted.

In this particular case, four people were shot execution style in a bowling alley. The individual convicted had a history of mental health issues and confessed to the crime. However ther ...[text shortened]... approach be allowed to hold a position that can have such a large impact on the lives of others?
    This is why I dont go to church. The place is full of idiots like that. The church is the place that takes good normal thinking people and convert them into religious morons.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '18 17:03
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    This is why I dont go to church. The place is full of idiots like that. The church is the place that takes good normal thinking people and convert them into religious morons.
    Where in that excerpt does it say the prosecutor attended church or got his ideas from church?

Your hatred of the church is appalling - but more appalling and sickening is your hatred of people who go to church.

Sick!
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 May '18 17:09
    The following is taken from an interview with a prosecutor from a documentary about a team of investigators that seek to prove the innocence of those wrongfully convicted.

In this particular case, four people were shot execution style in a bowling alley. The individual convicted had a history of mental health issues and confessed to the crime. However ...[text shortened]... approach be allowed to hold a position that can have such a large impact on the lives of others?
    "The just shall live by faith". Christians don't live by "signs".

Too many Christians seek for confirmation of the things they go through in life by looking for a sign.

We have the Word of God, we don't need signs. We live by faith, and by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 May '18 17:11
    So where did you learn to be a moron?

Oh I see, you're a self made moron.
  6. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    22 May '18 17:13
    Doesn't look like a legitimate sign to me. So he's on a mailing list and received a seemingly random message from Scripture - then turned around and applied that to what he was working on and went full steam ahead on convicting a likely innocent man?
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 May '18 17:14
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Where in that excerpt does it say the prosecutor attended church or got his ideas from church?

Your hatred of the church is appalling - but more appalling and sickening is your hatred of people who go to church.

Sick!
    People that lack faith seek for signs.

ThinkOfOne is like FMF. He thinks stuff like that from off the internet is something of substance and has some sort of truth in it.

Internet wise guys.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '18 18:38
    Originally posted by @secondson

ThinkOfOne is like FMF. He thinks stuff like that from off the internet is something of substance and has some sort of truth in it.

Internet wise guys.
    <<People that lack faith seek for signs.>>

This is a great point.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:17
    From what I've seen, people like the prosecutor subscribe to the "personal relationship" idea. So they ask for "guidance" and take things like that email as a "sign" of that guidance. Or they'll say that they are leaving it in the Lord's "control" and take however things turn out to also be a "sign" that it was the Lord's will. I imagine that many who post on this forum do that, but may also deny it.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:22
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Doesn't look like a legitimate sign to me. So he's on a mailing list and received a seemingly random message from Scripture - then turned around and applied that to what he was working on and went full steam ahead on convicting a likely innocent man?
    Unfortunately that seems to be the mindset of many Christians. They seem to be able to interpret almost anything as "guidance" from the Lord after they have asked for it.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:242 edits
    Originally posted by @secondson

Internet wise guys.

He wasn't looking for a sign that he should have faith. Rather he asked for "guidance" and interpreted the email as such.

Actually I transcribed it from the documentary. No surprise that you've deceitfully tried to depict it as you have.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:25
    From what I've seen, people like the prosecutor subscribe to the "personal relationship" idea. So they ask for "guidance" and take things like that email as a "sign" of that guidance. Or they'll say that they are leaving it in the Lord's "control" and take however things turn out to also be a "sign" that it was the Lord's will. I imagine that many who post on this forum do that, but may also deny it.
    When one prays to be led by God’s Holy Spirit and to be within God’s will and an instrument of God’s will - and does so sincerely - one does not need to look for signs.

God makes His will known through their mind and heart - not as outward signs.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:26
    They do exactly the same thing except there are not dire consequences like in this case. They would take all kinds of things as signs from God that they are on the right track when in fact they are just going down the road that they want to be on and using the signs as excuses like the prosecuetor in this case.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:33
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    When one prays to be led by God’s Holy Spirit and to be within God’s will and an instrument of God’s will - and does so sincerely - one does not need to look for signs.

God makes His will known through their mind and heart - not as outward signs.
    Still a "sign" either way. In what you've described, they take their own thoughts as "signs" which can make them even more dangerous than the prosecutor.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 May '18 19:40
    Seeking a sign is a sign of superstition.

But mature Christians know "that all things work together for good to them that love God", and guidance is from God's Word.

Thing is though is that you and Rajk are using this idea about "seeking signs" as a means of condemning the church with a blanket indictment as well the Christian posters in this forum.

It's an evil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree