1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 04:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i think the definition of an atheist is pretty clear that they do NOT believe in god, they may acknowledge the fact that there COULD be a god, but they are still atheist and i think thats what youre saying. but they dont say "idk", they say "god doesnt exist". i am a theist and i acknowledge the fact that god may not exist but that doesnt make me agnos ...[text shortened]... idk" or "idc" but an atheist would strongly say "god doesnt exist, science does exist"
    "I don't know" would be a perfectly valid statement from an atheist, especially since "god" is so often left undefined. It could also be a valid statement from a theist. The theist (atheist) could say, "I don't know, but I do (not) believe so."

It is also perfectly consistent for an atheist to say, "I don't care." Quite frankly, I've come to care less and less about the issue myself.
    I have never heard an atheist answer the question of god's existence with "god doesn't exist; science does exist." That is a thinly veiled misunderstanding on your part that atheists worship science as a god. It may be that your personal beliefs in many ways run counter to current scientific thinking and so you often find yourself locked in a debate with nonbelievers that point this out. Constantly debating in such manner give you the appearence that atheists believe in science as a religion. Nevertheless, being an atheist in no way desposes one to favoring or disfavoring science. Ones alignment toward science is completely logically independent of whether one is a theist or an atheist.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 04:591 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    "I don't know" would be a perfectly valid statement from an atheist, especially since "god" is so often left undefined. It could also be a valid statement from a theist. The theist (atheist) could say, "I don't know, but I do (not) believe so."

It is also perfectly consistent for an atheist to say, "I don't care." Quite frankly, I've come to care les ce is completely logically independent of whether one is a theist or an atheist.
    i know atheists dont believe that science is a religion but they believe it is fact and some of it is, and theism is a fairy tale
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 11:40
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i know atheists dont believe that science is a religion but they believe it is fact and some of it is, and theism is a fairy tale
    This is generallly, though not necessarily, true.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 12:35
    Probably the part of me that's educated enough not to misspell 'fearing.'

And, yes, many atheists do say, "I don't know." To them, the existence of some sort of god is possible but the evidence for it is so scant that it does not merit belief. But don't bother yourself with reality. Stick you head back deep in the Psalms and pretend you know everything.
    Spelling-bee champ ! How exciting ! Your girlfriend must be crazy about you.

You have plenty growing up to do if you think a graduate econ student is so highly educated.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 13:272 edits
    You have plenty growing up to do if you think a graduate econ student is so highly educated.

This doesn't make any sense; recognizing post-secondary education as a high educational attainment has nothing to do with maturity. Anyway my criterion for "being educated" was set pretty low (able to spell "fearing" ). I know how it's spelled and apparently you do not. You don't need a post-graduate degree to figure it out. In fact, my seven-year-old daughter can do it.

BTW You are a fine ambassador for Christ. Do practice what you preach for a change.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 17:30
    .....Do practice what you preach for a change.
    You started the insults .. remember ?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 17:35
    ...... recognizing post-secondary education as a high educational attainment has nothing to do with maturity. .
    I think it does. Having a post- grad qualification is not a big deal if you are in a professional working environment. Only age and experience with teach you that.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You started the insults .. remember ?
    Turn the other cheek and grow up.

Sheesh you don't walk the talk at all.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:25
    I think it does. Having a post- grad qualification is not a big deal if you are in a professional working environment. Only age and experience with teach you that.
    That is true if your job at the office is installing the latest version of Windows. In my line of work a PhD is a necessary job qualification. Anyway, I did spend a few years in the banking sector (my wife has considerably more work experience; yes, wife) and we know that everyone with any intelligence recognizes that post-graduate education is a high level of education. People generally don't grovel on the floor over it, nor should they, but they do understand the following relation: post-BA degree = high level of education. If you read my post, you'll find that that is all I claimed. Perhaps you own insecurities are causing you to read more into it.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:59
    That is true if your job at the office is installing the latest version of Windows. In my line of work a PhD is a necessary job qualification. Anyway, I did spend a few years in the banking sector (my wife has considerably more work experience; yes, wife) and we know that everyone with any intelligence recognizes that post-graduate education is a h ...[text shortened]... hat that is all I claimed. Perhaps you own insecurities are causing you to read more into it.
    Ok you win.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 19:32
    Ok you win.
    Victory is mine!
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 21:51
    Victory is mine!
    I turned the other cheek.
    I guess that made you happy.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 00:522 edits
    delete.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:22
    I turned the other cheek.
    I guess that made you happy.
    Watch Family Guy much?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 11:27
    Watch Family Guy much?
    Not really. Seen it already but I dont have much time to watch TV.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree