1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 00:212 edits
    By the way, yes, I still want to hear (primarily from Christians) if you think female homosexuality is as big a sin as you seem to think male homosexuality is. What I do not want to hear is a defense of why you think male homosexuality is "an abomination before God". What I do want to hear is how you rate female homosexuality. Is it equally sinful? Less so? More so? I just wanted to get a general feeling of the typical Christian's reaction to female homosexuality vis a vis male homosexuality.

(Okay, GF? Have I labeled this post accurately enough to not have to stop and debate the existence of God, right here, right now? )
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I wasn't saying never talk about God or religion. But you have to point out how your non-belief in God makes you wonder how important can God be "since he doesn't exist" in every thread. This stifles conversation, it does not help. I think we all get how you do not believe in God. Well, surprise, surprise, but some of us do. And some of us wi ...[text shortened]... get used to the idea that some of us here in the Spirituality forum [i]will talk about God.
    Actually no I am not trying to shut down or stifle conversation.

And I do actually ignore many threads for the very reason you are stating.

If a bunch of you want to talk about who's god could beat up whom or the 'correct'
    interpretation of bits of the bible, or whatever, you will generally find
    me totally absent.

I might pop in and have a read, but I seldom if ever post.

Because I have nothing to say on the subject, and I don't just go around saying god
    doesn't exist in every post in every thread.

However...

When the discussion is about something relevant, like the morality of homosexuality,
    then I take an interest.

And I am sorry but the fact is that while by no means all homophobia can be lumped at
    religions door, a lot of it can be.

And the fact that when I start thinking about the morality of the situation I don't
    have to start trying to work out how to interpret much translated bronze age ramblings
    to work out what a god thinks makes a difference.

A secular example might be the arguments about guns in the USA.

Every argument about gun laws in the USA ends up going ten rounds of 'what did the framers'
    intend when they wrote the constitution...

Who cares!

They were living in a different time, with different circumstances and technology and morality.
    Why waste time trying to work out what they intended and just get on with working out in
    this day and age what is best?

The fact that atheism and secular law and morality has no inherent bias against homosexuality
    and no built in roadblocks to trying to reduce attacks on and dehumanising of homosexuals is
    both topic relevant and significant.

And that is true irrespective of the existence of god/s.

I understand that you are feeling like I am jumping on top of you constantly saying god doesn't
    exist over and over again...
    And I will do what I can to address that.
    But I am not convinced that I am really doing that nearly as much as you seem to think I am.

I will try harder to ensure I am less repetitive and more relevant and on topic, but I assure you
    I am not intentionally trying to shut down conversations or derail threads.

EDIT:
    (Okay, GF? Have I labeled this post accurately enough to not have to stop and debate the
    existence of God, right here, right now? )

I've said my bit and am moving on.

I apologise again if you feel hounded. The truth is that your posts, while I often disagree with them,
    are more interesting than most, and thus more likely to draw a reply.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 01:13
    I understand that you are feeling like I am jumping on top of you constantly saying god doesn't
    exist over and over again...
    And I will do what I can to address that.
    But I am not convinced that I am really doing that nearly as much as you seem to think I am.

I will try harder to ensure I am less repetitive and more relevant and on topic, but I assure you
    I am not intentionally trying to shut down conversations or derail threads.
    I've said my bit and am moving on.

I apologise again if you feel hounded. The truth is that your posts, while I often disagree with them,
    are more interesting than most, and thus more likely to draw a reply.
    Maybe I'm being more sensitive to it than usual because you've just come back after a hiatus and I forget how your particular style used to stir me into a frenzy. 🙂
    I appreciate the (somewhat more than usual) gracious reply. You are a worthy opponent in this forum. I do not see a reason to be at each other's throats as we seem to have done at times in the past. I'm most irritated when you try to stonewall me and get all logical like Spock without acknowledging that you have emotions too. I can appreciate the human-sounding conciliatory tone once in a while. 🙂 I realize that, at times, I can try your patience with apparently vacuous dialog concerning God coming from what otherwise appears to be a reasonably intelligent human. But I feel that I've integrated my religious beliefs quite well for a liberal activist, if I do say so myself, and there's precious little that bothers me more than to be compared to other, more fundamentalist "backwards ass, knuckle-scraping bone headed idiot fundamentalist theist", as you call them. I don't have a problem associating with someone of 'the other side', if you will, as long as there is at least an attempt at some sort of mutual respect. And that includes not being called a "bronze age peasant" most of the time.

And now I'm done. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree