1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 22:29
    Originally posted by divegeester
    An intersting point robbie. Consider that point in the light of evolution, did black people evolve independently from white people, or are we one race from the same origin? Did we have the same ancestor in evolutionary terms? The answer is more important than the tripe in this thread.
    We can all trace our roots back to Africa, thanks to genetics.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    15 Sep '09 23:381 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I wouldn't say prove, but DNA evidence strongly points to an Eve, and she was from Africa.
    They say Steve was from San Francisco. Not a lot of decendants from that lineage tho.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 00:01
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    They say Steve was from San Francisco. Not a lot of decendants from that lineage tho.
    i think he is the ancestor of the English, they love to watch cricket and dress up as chicks!
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 01:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    that would be all the anti semetical scriptures that they copied from the custodians of the ancient Hebrew text, the ancient Jews. feel your bum Jack, or get someone else to do it, just to make sure your pulse is still running.
    I thought you appreciated a chess reference? Kasparov believes that Anatoly Fomenko is correct. galveston75 rejects "experts" so who is to say that Fomenko is not right? If he is then both of you are the victims of an elaborate lie. How do you "know" that Caesar lived? I never met the man. All we have to go on is research. You may consider his views to be absurd but I am certain that he knows absolutely that you are wrong.

As for Nin-ti, she was a goddess, a vision of earthly delight fashioned from the rib of the thunder-god (a rather jealous fellow they say.) An older story than the exploits of Gilgamesh (who built the walls of Uruk long before there were Babylonians.) But hey, that's just what the "experts" say and if they are wrong about Caesar and the new testament...
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 01:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think he is the ancestor of the English, they love to watch cricket and dress up as chicks!
    At least the English wear make-up and underwear when they put on a dress.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 04:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Did we have the same ancestor in evolutionary terms?
    That's pretty much the hypothesis that is being tested through DNA work that has identified a hypothetical Eve, likely in Africa some two million years ago (there are some decimals around this "two"--1.8? or 2.3?--that I cannot recall with sufficient accuracy).

As I understand it, all humans have enough DNA in common to have come from a single mother. Fatherhood, as we know, is always speculative.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 04:36
    That's pretty much the hypothesis that is being tested through DNA work that has identified a hypothetical Eve, likely in Africa some two million years ago (there are some decimals around this "two"--1.8? or 2.3?--that I cannot recall with sufficient accuracy).

As I understand it, all humans have enough DNA in common to have come from a single mother. Fatherhood, as we know, is always speculative.
    Mitocondircal DNA goes from mother to child, as sperms doesn't have it.
    X-chromosome DNA goes from father to child, as the mother doesn't have any X's.

However, Mitocondrical DNA is more stable than X-chromosome, but that doesn't say that there is one and one only mother ancestor. It is as much likely to say that there is one and only one father ancestor, but it's harder to show.

But, there is no single mother, nor any single father. It's as stupid as saying that the humankind started with only two inidivuals, one male and one female. The fact is rather that one group of people were separated from another group. Our group survived. That's us.

There were no first man and woman. There were no Adam and Eve.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 08:02
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    At least the English wear make-up and underwear when they put on a dress.
    LOL, what passes for a kilt now-a days is nothing of the sort. A real kilt, is termed 'a full plaid', and is made of a piece of cloth, 22 feet in length and must be folded appropriately. It is such because when lying outside under the stars amongst the heather, it could simply be pulled over ones head to protect one from the frost. What you see at weddings are nothing more than tartan skirts, invented by some Victorian dude in the 1800s.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 12:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Mitocondircal DNA goes from mother to child, as sperms doesn't have it.
    X-chromosome DNA goes from father to child, as the mother doesn't have any X's.

However, Mitocondrical DNA is more stable than X-chromosome, but that doesn't say that there is one and one only mother ancestor. It is as much likely to say that there is one and only one father ances ...[text shortened]... up survived. That's us.

There were no first man and woman. There were no Adam and Eve.
    ASFAIK, the Eve theory remains a plausible hypothesis accepted by some archaeologists, but not all.

Eve, more likely than not, enjoyed the advances of Adam-1, Adam-7, Adam-12, ...
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 12:38
    ASFAIK, the Eve theory remains a plausible hypothesis accepted by some archaeologists, but not all.

Eve, more likely than not, enjoyed the advances of Adam-1, Adam-7, Adam-12, ...
    I don't think that it is quite probable that the whole humankind stems from one and one women alone.

(1) It takes two to tango. There must be a man too.
    (2) It should be equally probable that the humankind stems from one man only. Seems equally improbable.
    (3) Suppose they were two, then the rest of the humankind would be the fruit of the incestuous actions by their children. This should have been shown in the todays DNA pool.
    (4) Again, suppose they were only two. The result of this idea is that there would be a giant evolutionary leap from them (humans) and their parents (non-humans). Quite improbable, if you ask me.

I my opinion the mitocondrial DNA method shows the real facts quite well.
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:37
    I don't think that it is quite probable that the whole humankind stems from one and one women alone.

(1) It takes two to tango. There must be a man too.
    (2) It should be equally probable that the humankind stems from one man only. Seems equally improbable.
    (3) Suppose they were two, then the rest of the humankind would be the fruit of the incestuous ...[text shortened]... le, if you ask me.

I my opinion the mitocondrial DNA method shows the real facts quite well.
    Tho I agree with you in general, number (3) seems well verified (at least in my country) by the number of people who have a problem with science!
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:411 edit
    There's a brief synopsis at http://www.archaeology.org/9609/abstracts/dna.html

And the controversy I remember from graduate school is referenced at http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13217913.100-science-dna-evidence-strengthens-eve-hypothesis-.html

Until this thread, I have not looked at this issue since the mid-1990s. My assumption is that DNA research has advanced a considerable distance since then.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:07
    There's a brief synopsis at http://www.archaeology.org/9609/abstracts/dna.html

And the controversy I remember from graduate school is referenced at http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13217913.100-science-dna-evidence-strengthens-eve-hypothesis-.html

Until this thread, I have not looked at this issue since the mid-1990s. My assumption is that DNA research has advanced a considerable distance since then.
    Another explanation can be found in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

This Mitochondrial Eve has nothing to do with any creationist legend. Eve is a symbol for our earliest ancestor, at the time 150,000 to 250,000 years ago, in the region of Tanzania. She is not even a person of her own. The story didn't start with this Eve, but in the small group of humans where this Eve belonged.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:31
    Another explanation can be found in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

This Mitochondrial Eve has nothing to do with any creationist legend. Eve is a symbol for our earliest ancestor, at the time 150,000 to 250,000 years ago, in the region of Tanzania. She is not even a person of her own. The story didn't start with this Eve, but in the small group of humans where this Eve belonged.
    Well go ahead and believe mans word which is wrong often and will proabaly change many times. Don't the encylopedias have to be updated every year? God word tells a different story that never changes.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:34
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well go ahead and believe mans word which is wrong often and will proabaly change many times. Don't the encylopedias have to be updated every year? God word tells a different story that never changes.
    Right, the story has been the same since they wrote the Genesis part of the bible.
    Science evolves and take new findings into considerations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree