addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Actually my grandfather was an alcoholic and even though he stopped drinking alcohol he substituted the alcohol with fizzy drinks, developed diabetes which killed him.
Awful. How did the diabetes actually kill him?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Oct 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Awful. How did the diabetes actually kill him?
Diabetes causes heart disease, and damages the nerves and kidneys. If not properly diagnosed or treated, it can lead to amputation, blindness, and even death.

Moves
11 Oct 16
1 edit

Diabetes causes heart disease, and damages the nerves and kidneys. If not properly diagnosed or treated, it can lead to amputation, blindness, and even death.
I was asking how diabetes killed your Grandfather.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Oct 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I was asking how diabetes killed your Grandfather.
Heart failure caused by diabetes.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Oct 16

Actually my grandfather was an alcoholic and even though he stopped drinking alcohol he substituted the alcohol with fizzy drinks, developed diabetes which killed him.
So, he stopped drinking alcohol, but clearly still had some compulsion to drink. What would you call that?
Also, it was the sugar that killed him. Diabetes is the bodies failure to properly handle sugar.
Diabetes is the name of the disease. You do not stop having diabetes just because you stop taking sugar.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Oct 16
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, he stopped drinking alcohol, but clearly still had some compulsion to drink. What would you call that?
Also, it was the sugar that killed him. Diabetes is the bodies failure to properly handle sugar.
Diabetes is the name of the disease. You do not stop having diabetes just because you stop taking sugar.
So someone who has a compulsion to drink 'fizzy drinks' is now also an alcoholic? 😲

Cape Town

Moves
11 Oct 16
2 edits

So someone who has a compulsion to drink 'fizzy drinks' is now also an alcoholic? 😲
He is an addict, ie he experiences compulsions. He is only an alcoholic if he still experiences compulsion for alcohol. If he is drinking the fizzy drinks in order to control his compulsion for alcohol then he is still an alcoholic. If he no longer feels compulsions for alcohol but does feel compulsions for fizzy drinks then he is a fizzy-drink-aholic.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/-aholic

Note how the definition for '-aholic' says nothing about whether or not a person is able to satisfy their compulsions.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
11 Oct 16

Did he ever speak to you frankly and openly about his addiction?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
11 Oct 16

Originally posted by apathist
Believe what? Addiction is a choice, you disagree but won't explain why. You say you already have explained - so a simple cut-n-paste would work. Since you find your comments unworthy of being repeated, why should I find them worthy of hunting down?
The words I typed are still there, in this thread. If you require a repeat, as I have suggested, you may feel free to re-read them.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Oct 16
1 edit

My Will is Weak, My Strength is Frail

A song on utter dependence on the powerful Savior Jesus Christ Who can Save.
Lyrics by Watchman Nee

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
12 Oct 16
7 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
He is an addict, ie he experiences compulsions. He is only an alcoholic if he still experiences compulsion for alcohol. If he is drinking the fizzy drinks in order to control his compulsion for alcohol then he is still an alcoholic. If he no longer feels compulsions for alcohol but does feel compulsions for fizzy drinks then he is a fizzy-drink-aholic.
...[text shortened]... n for '-aholic' says nothing about whether or not a person is able to satisfy their compulsions.
So someone who can 'control' their compulsion to drink alcohol is an alcoholic? If I have a compulsion to drink alcohol yet I have never given in to that compulsion, you would still call me an alcoholic even if I have never had a drop of alcohol in my entire life?

I assume that by 'compulsion' you are referring to "a very strong desire to do something", rather than, "an irresistible persistent impulse to perform an act"?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compulsion

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Oct 16

So someone who can 'control' their compulsion to drink alcohol is an alcoholic? If I have a compulsion to drink alcohol yet I have never given in to that compulsion, you would still call me an alcoholic even if I have never had a drop of alcohol in my entire life?

I assume that by 'compulsion' you are referring to "a very strong desire to do something ...[text shortened]... e persistent impulse to perform an act"?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compulsion
There are many published resources detailing the investigations into the nature of addiction. From a cursory appraisal, it looks like this one gives a pretty good overview of the current understanding of the physiological changes in the brain.

http://web.as.uky.edu/biology/faculty/cooper/Bio380-Neurophysiology%20seminar/neural%20basis%20of%20addiction-Thompson.pdf

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
12 Oct 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
There are many published resources detailing the investigations into the nature of addiction. From a cursory appraisal, it looks like this one gives a pretty good overview of the current understanding of the physiological changes in the brain.

http://web.as.uky.edu/biology/faculty/cooper/Bio380-Neurophysiology%20seminar/neural%20basis%20of%20addiction-Thompson.pdf
Cool, please quote the text that you think answers the questions I was addressing to Twhitehead. Thanks.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Oct 16

Cool, please quote the text that you think answers the questions I was addressing to Twhitehead. Thanks.
The conclusions are clearly stated under the heading 'conclusions' (in bold, first page). Is your first time looking at a peer reviewed scientific paper?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
12 Oct 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
The conclusions are clearly stated under the heading 'conclusions' (in bold, first page). Is your first time looking at a peer reviewed scientific paper?
I read the conclusion and see no reason why someone who can control their 'compulsion' to drink should be called an alcoholic.