addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Once again all you can do is take the piss. No new news I suppose. Sorry but I'm not chaney3.
I'm sorry, were you expecting to be taken seriously?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16
1 edit

Twhitehead said someone who is able to control their compulsion to drink alcohol is an alcoholic. A person who can control their compulsion is not an addict, an addict is someone who cannot control their compulsion.
So... you're saying addiction is not a choice?

... But anyway, it's still wrong. Some addicts, under some circumstances, can control their compulsion. Some addicts can, under pretty much ANY circumstances. There's a spectrum, ranging from those for whom addiction is easily beaten, through to those who have virtually no power to fight the condition whatsoever.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm sorry, were you expecting to be taken seriously?
I don't expect you to take anyone seriously.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
So... you're saying addiction is not a choice?

... But anyway, it's still wrong. Some addicts, under some circumstances, can control their compulsion. Some addicts can, under pretty much ANY circumstances. There's a spectrum, ranging from those for whom addiction is easily beaten, through to those who have virtually no power to fight the condition whatsoever.
No I am saying addiction a choice, (every addict is an addict because they chose to give into temptation at some point (in most cases). Their addiction is a result of a choice that they made or in same cases due to a choice that someone else made.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Oct 16

I don't expect you to take anyone seriously.
Why?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16
1 edit

Why?
Because you always seem to be taking the piss.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

No I am saying addiction a choice, (every addict is an addict because they chose to give into temptation at some point (in most cases). Their addiction is a result of a choice that they made or in same cases due to a choice that someone else made.
Well, of course. You cannot become addicted to a substance without taking it repeatedly. One doesn't choose to become addicted however, one simply chooses to take the addictive substance. Most people who take addictive substances do not become addicted.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Oct 16

Because you always seem to be taking the piss.
Do you read posts by me other than those in your threads directed at you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Well, of course. You cannot become addicted to a substance without taking it repeatedly. One doesn't choose to become addicted however, one simply chooses to take the addictive substance. Most people who take addictive substances do not become addicted.
Most people who take addictive substances do not become addicted.

So by 'addicted' you mean the point where they can't control the compulsion or the point where they simply have a compulsion which they can control?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Do you read posts by me other than those in your threads directed at you?
Yes I have read some of them.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

[b]Most people who take addictive substances do not become addicted.

So by 'addicted' you mean the point where they can't control the compulsion or the point where they simply have a compulsion which they can control?[/b]
It varies. Some people can maintain an addiction for years, for ever, without it ever getting out of control. Some people can, by sheer effort of will, give up a substance to which they have become addicted, go through withdrawal and come out the other side, maintain their separation from said substance for the rest of their lives. They're still addicted. All the ex-smokers out there? Still addicts. All the reformed junkies and alkies? Still addicts.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Oct 16

Yes I have read some of them.
Well then, you will obviously realise that you claiming that I "always take the piss" is a complete lie by you.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

It varies. Some people can maintain an addiction for years, for ever, without it ever getting out of control. Some people can, by sheer effort of will, give up a substance to which they have become addicted, go through withdrawal and come out the other side, maintain their separation from said substance for the rest of their lives. They're still addi ...[text shortened]... All the ex-smokers out there? Still addicts. All the reformed junkies and alkies? Still addicts.
So in your mind is an alcoholic simply someone who is 'addicted to alcohol' or is it someone whose addiction is out of control?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Well then, you will obviously realise that you claiming that I "always take the piss" is a complete lie by you.
I said you always 'seem' to be taking the piss. That doesn't mean that you always are.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

So in your mind is an alcoholic simply someone who is 'addicted to alcohol' or is it someone whose addiction is out of control?
It's not 'in my mind', alcoholism is the addiction to alcohol.