addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
I would say that, when it comes to nicotine, I cannot consume it because my past dependency to it has demonstrated that I am an addict with regard to that substance and cannot control it. My addiction to it in the past creates an addiction-related reality even in the present day. My addiction to it in the past means I cannot touch it now without clear risk. That ...[text shortened]... doing to my body and never reacted to its consumption in a way that would be called alcoholism.
So you agree that you are not dependent on nicotine at the moment?

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So you agree that you are not dependent on nicotine at the moment?
Like I said, I see myself as a nicotine addict who hasn't smoked for 24 years.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
Like I said, I see myself as a nicotine addict who hasn't smoked for 24 years.
I know what you said, I'm asking if at the current time you are dependent on nicotine. Yes or No?

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

I know what you said, I'm asking if at the current time you are dependent on nicotine. Yes or No?
Like I said, I haven't smoked for 24 years.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
Like I said, I haven't smoked for 24 years.
Ok so you are therefore not dependent on nicotine and therefore not a nicotine addict at the moment.

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

Ok so you are therefore not dependent on nicotine and therefore not a nicotine addict at the moment.
I see myself as a nicotine addict whose health and well being is very much dependent on not touching nicotine.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I see myself as a nicotine addict whose health and well being is very much dependent on not touching nicotine.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/addict

addict: a person who is not able to stop taking drugs : a person who is addicted to drugs

You are clearly not a nicotine addict if you stopped using nicotine.

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/addict

addict: a person who is not able to stop taking drugs : a person who is addicted to drugs
I most certainly have an addiction problem with nicotine, as I have explained. If I were not a nicotine addict, who knows, perhaps I would still be smoking the occasional cigarette.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I most certainly have an addiction problem with nicotine, as I have explained. If I were not a nicotine addict, who knows, perhaps I would still be smoking the occasional cigarette.
If you were a nicotine addict you would still be smoking. You clearly were an addict. Not so at the moment. If you start smoking again you probably will be an addict again.

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

You are clearly not a nicotine addict if you stopped using nicotine.
I have explained my view on this is issue. What's clearly this, or clearly that, in your view does not really affect anything. I didn't tackle my problem with cigarettes by using a dictionary. And I don't approach the reality of my metabolism vis a vis nicotine, and the risks and realities attendent thereto, even to this day, by using a dictionary

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have explained my view on this is issue. What's clearly this, or clearly that, in your view does not really affect anything. I didn't tackle my problem with cigarettes by using a dictionary. And I don't approach the reality of my metabolism vis a vis nicotine, and the risks and realities attendent thereto, even to this day, by using a dictionary
Well your use of the word 'addict' is certainly not conventional.

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

Well your use of the word 'addict' is certainly not conventional.
I am more interested in the stone cold reality of addiction, what it means to be an addict, what the relationship is with the substances at the heart of the problem becomes, and I'm more interested in real people's experiences, real lives in the real world, rather than 5th form debating club stuff. You've just had extensive personal testimony from me about addiction, how I perceive it, how I deal with it, and yet I have a funny feeling this conversation will have had no impact on you and your perceptions regarding this issue. But, different strokes, I suppose.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
I am more interested in the stone cold reality of addiction, what it means to be an addict, what the relationship is with the substances at the heart of the problem becomes, and I'm more interested in real people's experiences, real lives in the real world, rather than 5th form debating club stuff. You've just had extensive personal testimony from me about addic ...[text shortened]... d no impact on you and your perceptions regarding this issue. But, different strokes, I suppose.
What is the difference between an addict and a non addict if both can stop using the substance?

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

What is the difference between an addict and a non addict if both can stop using the substance?
I think I have pretty much covered this already on this thread, especially earlier when the subject was alcohol and alcoholics. If you don't understand my point of view, or just don't agree with it, I am absolutely fine with that.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16

Originally posted by FMF
I think I have pretty much covered this already on this thread, especially earlier when the subject was alcohol and alcoholics. If you don't understand my point of view, or just don't agree with it, I am absolutely fine with that.
According to your view what is the main difference between someone that is an addict and someone that is not an addict?

In my view an addict can't stop using a drug whereas someone that is not addicted can stop.