1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 03:58
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Have you taught in a public school with a sizable low income student body?
    Yes. In several different countries on three continents.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:02
    Have you taught in a public school with a sizable low income student body?
    Were your employers aware of your undisguised and strident racist views when you were teaching low income students in their school?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:132 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Yes. In several different countries on three continents.
    Where all kids went to school?

What countries are those? Oh and what subjects?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:17
    Where all kids went to school?

What countries are those?
    Yes.

Inner London in the UK was one of them. Elsewhere too, but the details are none of your business. I spent years as a teacher trainer too and worked with teachers who faced the most challenging conditions, including abject poverty and almost non-existent resources..
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:19
    But I think you changed the question I asked. I asked if it discrimination if degree rates match IQ rates.
    You asked about this and I answered.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:22
    How many people in your country with IQ 90 are applying to do a BSc in Mathematics? How many are being accepted? How many are graduating?
    BUMP
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:26
    Yes.

Inner London in the UK was one of them. Elsewhere too, but the details are none of your business. I spent years as a teacher trainer too and worked with teachers who faced the most challenging conditions, including abject poverty and almost non-existent resources..
    The subject you taught skews your point of view. If you taught reading, english, math or science that is one thing. Teaching art, music or pe is another.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:28
    BUMP
    I would hazard the guess of zero, if the school isn't simply handing out degrees.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:31
    FMF: How many people in your country with IQ 90 are applying to do a BSc in Mathematics? How many are being accepted? How many are graduating?

I would hazard the guess of zero, if the school isn't simply handing out degrees.
    So it's not actually a problem then, right? It's just some IQ-related straw man that you are hypothetically worried about, yes?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:32
    So it's not actually a problem then, right? It's just some IQ-related straw man that you are hypothetically worried about, yes?
    The problem is that too many degrees are watered down.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:431 edit
    The problem is that too many degrees are watered down.
    If it's true, then employers should bear it in mind. However, if what you call a "watered down degree" brings some benefit to the person holding it, then that's a good thing.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 04:56
    If it's true, then employers should bear it in mind. However, if what you call a "watered down degree" brings some benefit to the person holding it, then that's a good thing.
    This is what employers are doing for general employment now. People have to take an employer's test.

What field did you teach?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 05:02
    This is what employers are doing for general employment now. People have to take an employer's test.
    Good idea. Let's hope such tests are not all hung up on IQ and similar nonsense.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 05:03
    What field did you teach?
    I've moved into something different now, and done some other stuff as an international consultant, and all that - along with the details of what I did in the past - is none of your business.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 05:062 edits
    The subject you taught skews your point of view. If you taught reading, english, math or science that is one thing. Teaching art, music or pe is another.
    If your pitch is that I have to be a white supremacist and Christian extremist maths teacher ~ like you, for instance ~ in order to understand 'education', it's not going to work on me. I am sorry if you had an unhappy or unsuccessful time as a teacher. It's not a vocation suited to everyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree