Hindering is trying too hard.
    Buddha was trying too hard.
    'You' are 'there' right now.
    Always have been.

Its not 'mystical' either.
    A viewpoint shift.
    "I see" becomes just "seeing"
    - without the "I".

Trying hard is the opposite of what is needed.
    Relax, things will look after themselves.

Do what seems best at e antidote is in the poison.
    fear not, it works
    ...usually, well, sometimes.
    Thank you.

""I see" becomes just "seeing"
    - without the "I". "

Away from "Cogito, ergo sum," toward "Cogitans est, ergo cogitans est."
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 14:31
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Anger is a natural human emotion, do you see no place for it?
    The quote that heads the post says that. And it is right to ask the question as you have. I sure do not agree with everything that has the label "Buddhist" on it. I find the quote a problem.
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 14:42
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Good, good, good.

When you eat, eat.
    When you laugh, laugh.
    When you’re angry—
    bellow! 😉

Realization (a far better word than “enlightenment”!) is not a state of passivity, or of passionlessness, but of clarity.

In emptiness/fullness, what is it that is a “fetter”? If one makes “being angry” a fetter, then for him it’s a fetter; if o ...[text shortened]... I live as a quasi-hermit, and my wife has steely-Zen in her bones—she says, “Let the river run!”
    You are fortunate - and we are fortunate to have you around here. Thanks again for your expressive gift.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:29
    Originally posted by Taoman
    The quote that heads the post says that. And it is right to ask the question as you have. I sure do not agree with everything that has the label "Buddhist" on it. I find the quote a problem.
    I think anger has it's place as a force for positive action, as long as it is not expressed in hate. How do feel about that?
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:351 edit
    I think anger has it's place as a force for positive action, as long as it is not expressed in hate. How do feel about that?
    My only addition to this is: "Am I in command of what I call my anger, or is what I call my anger in command of me?"

By the way, I'm writing a bit of an essay to Taoman for this thread in which I refer to you in the third-person; hope that's not too rude, as I fully intended that you would read it. 🙂 It's kind of a long addendum to what I posted to you in the other thread...
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:45
    My only addition to this is: "Am I in command of what I call my anger, or is what I call my anger in command of me?"

By the way, I'm writing a bit of an essay to Taoman for this thread in which I refer to you in the third-person; hope that's not too rude, as I fully intended that you would read it. 🙂 It's kind of a long addendum to what I posted to you in the other thread...
    I owe that post an attentive read and I will, I promise. At the moment I'm just in from the grind and am just with a glass of wine and some unchallenging TV 🙂

Good point about control of anger; it was a genuine perspective, but I think I provoked Taoman into not responding.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:54
    You are fortunate - and we are fortunate to have you around here. Thanks again for your expressive gift.
    Thank you for the kind words; I feel fortunate whenever I return to this place and see that you’ve posted. I did understand your question in the OP as just that; and love your line “Buddha was trying too hard”—as well as the whole poem). I, too, try too hard. And I thought this might be a good thread on which to share some of my own concerns with how we express ourselves on here, and to see what insights you might have.

I regret today some of what I have posted on Zen recently—or at least the way I expressed myself. As you know, I am more “zen” than “Buddhist”. And I am just reading a little book by Albert Low on Zen koans, in which he points out that the koans are originally spontaneous exchanges between particular zennists (usually master and student) in the immediacy of the particular moment. These were remembered and recorded, and found useful by other teachers—in the right circumstances of a new particular immediacy. Later, they get recorded in book-collections (The Blue Cliff Record, the Mumonkan, etc.), and later teachers build systems out of these collections—you have to “pass” a certain number of koans in the proper order, etc.

Some modern roshis, such as Nakagawa Soen roshi and the Korean master Seung Sahn roshi, have tried to return to more of the spontaneity of the past I think (and Shunryu Suzuki roshi, a Soto master, left Japan in part to escape the institutionalized systemization). But they also have a lot written about them (as well as their own writings), and I think we have to be careful not de-contextualize and generalize their recorded teachings as well.

—Note: There is always going to be some de-contextualization and generalization on a public forum such as this.

In the face of quite legitimate requests for explanations of Zen (and Zen writings that I have quoted), I’m afraid that I have often done exactly that: inappropriately de-contextualize and over-generalize; or, alternatively, throw out a koan or such without regard to contextualization. On the one hand, there are no secret teachings (and it is quite proper, I think, to deconstruct whatever “cultural coding” may over-coat the traditional koans and stories); on the other hand, Zen is not about explanations at all, but a direct pointing to the tathata (just-so-suchness) of reality as it is, which is vibrant and prior to all conceptualization—and which recursively includes us and our own mind-play. And it is this recursive inclusion that is partly responsible for the deliberate paradoxes of Zen.

I am, of course, no Zen teacher. You and I and blackbeetle and some others might “lock eyebrows” on here in the spirit of zen-play, and when we do we often shortcut by using the kind of lingo that we have learned to comprehend. There is no reason to expect that someone who has not learned some of that lingo to have any idea what we’re talking about. And honest inquiries by intelligent folks like divegeester (and others in the past and future) ought not to be dismissed with jargon—or, worse, some kind of “Oh, you couldn’t understand because you haven’t met X preconditions”! Sure, sometimes its valid to recommend certain readings—with the proviso that I might recommend to one person one reading(s), and another reading(s) to another, maybe just based on my intuition, maybe based on prior discussions.

But there are no preconditions for someone realizing what, after all, is their original condition, in and of tathata! I know my own flaws and foibles and resistances in this regard—hey, there have been times when what I really wanted was a set of preconditions to keep thinking about, so I could continue wandering in the comfortable fog of forgetfulness. I am not immune now. But I have had teachers (both more formally, and such as yourself and blackbeetle) who hammered me into wakefulness anyway. Forgetfulness in a sea of enjoyable—and even useful—conceptualizing is my particular “syndrome”. (Conceptualizing and study of other conceptualizations—such as the philosophical—is not the problem; only forgetfulness is.)

Since, as I say, I am no Zen teacher, I think I should just shut up for awhile on the subject—maybe “lock eyebrows” with you guys once in awhile, or post what is just my own expression. My worst fear is that I come across as presumptuous or condescending to people who do not deserve that. I have learned much on here over the years from people who held other religious or philosophical views—and often in the heat of sharp, but still friendly, argument. I have received, in that regard, more than I have given.

All of the above might be best viewed as a series of clumsy questions.

I will end, though, with two Zen sayings: “If you can’t improve on silence, don’t speak.”

And this from my wife, quoting a favorite line of mine from a film about (American) football: “Zen is the six inches in front of your face!” 🙂
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:57
    I owe that post an attentive read and I will, I promise. At the moment I'm just in from the grind and am just with a glass of wine and some unchallenging TV 🙂

Good point about control of anger; it was a genuine perspective, but I think I provoked Taoman into not responding.
    … am just with a glass of wine and some unchallenging TV

Ah, I can relate to that! 🙂
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 00:401 edit
    My 'not responding' usually is due to time difference. And the need to go to bed. I try not to leave any 'hanging' as I go.

Yes I agree most heartedly. In fact, I truncated my epistle because it was getting too long. I do go on sometimes. It's not 'has a place" so much, as nearly every positive action on behalf of human injustice in history had an element of anger fuelling it. Burning controlled anger, when we get in touch with it, makes us courageous.
  10. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 01:143 edits
    Thank you for the kind words; I feel fortunate whenever I return to this place and see that you’ve posted. I did understand your question in the OP as just that; and love your line “Buddha was trying too hard”—as well as the whole poem). I, too, try too hard. And I thought this might be a good thread on which to share some of my own concerns with how w ...[text shortened]... mine from a film about (American) football: “Zen is the six inches in front of your face!” 🙂
    I have little opportunity to join with others of like-mindedness in my locality. I also have a bit too much of the Taoist wanderer in me. My sharing with bb, yourself, Karoly, VS, robbie and others, IS my 'Sangha'. They do not have to be 'buddhist' to be a buddha.

How much you have given is perhaps not for you to judge. You may be being a tad hard on your self, methinks.

I am not a formal Buddhist, but in a very similar place to yourself. I esteem it and Buddha, and Buddhist philosophy, teachers, (you are a very good one) sutras, and koans highly, and they have transformed 'me'. Greetings to your dear wife too, she speaks, and I hear.

One of the teachers that helped me shift is Albert Low. But there are so many, and what a richness!

Thank you again for this fine offering, a 'recommended'. It explains to divegeester (g'day!), with his perceptive directness, where we indeed need correction, but also where he might understand a bit more where we are coming from. I trust it will help others in that regard too. I well know I am "too heavy" for some, and I too can get recipients mixed up in terms of how I am expressing what I say. But the structure of a forum is good like that. You can jump in where you want. Or go.
    It is for us to just do it, with sincere intention, - it will fall where it will, like everything else.

My perception is that this forum has much more potential significance than the way it is approached in the majority. Banter is fun, and long may it live, but this site's Spirituality Forum is one of a very few, and there are some very insightful people, with rich offerings around. of all colors and shapes. I value it highly.

A good Kentucky bourbon vies with the red for me. 🙂
  11. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 03:31
    My 'not responding' usually is due to time difference. And the need to go to bed. I try not to leave any 'hanging' as I go.

Yes I agree most heartedly. In fact, I truncated my epistle because it was getting too long. I do go on sometimes. It's not 'has a place" so much, as nearly every positive action on behalf of human injustice in history had an element ...[text shortened]... fuelling it. Burning controlled anger, when we get in touch with it, makes us courageous.
    Courage without the anger is probably more accurate in aim and a higher species. Sometimes, on the ground, more are needed than those few masters.
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 10:57
    "All anger is a fetter to realization." (From a Buddhist site).

Is it?
    Anger? Pure noise by one’s mind that already has one hi-jacked😵
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 11:04
    Good, good, good.

When you eat, eat.
    When you laugh, laugh.
    When you’re angry—
    bellow! 😉

Realization (a far better word than “enlightenment”!) is not a state of passivity, or of passionlessness, but of clarity.

In emptiness/fullness, what is it that is a “fetter”? If one makes “being angry” a fetter, then for him it’s a fetter; if o ...[text shortened]... I live as a quasi-hermit, and my wife has steely-Zen in her bones—she says, “Let the river run!”
    I cannot stop the thoughts, I transform them into something else; I cannot stop the feelings, I transform them into something else. Once the given transformations are exhausted there is no Gate, and this Void is not included in my knowledge. This specific point of attention and my awareness are one.
    So I bow to the Lady: indeed, by knowing how the river runs, I know how the river does not run; this is the Void
    😵
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 11:08
    Anger is a natural human emotion, do you see no place for it?
    I have observed that people that get angry forget more stuff. So yeah, it's a good thing to avoid.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 11:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It is the sound of one hand clapping.
    Thats an intellectual understanding. We can quote stuff all day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree