1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 05:53
    Originally posted by hakima
    Who is a Christian but he or she who professes and follows Christ?
    That's how I've always defined it. But my definition is admittedly wider than most [I think it's possible for there to be Christians who don't think Jesus was divine, for example. So, there could even be such a thing as a "Christian Atheist".]
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 05:57
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    In Romans 3:28 and 29, you will read Paul talking about the Jews. But in fact what he is really talking about are all the children of God.

It reads: "To be a Jew is not just to look like a Jew, and circumcision is more than a physical operation. The real Jew is one who is inwardly a Jew, and the real circumcision is in the heart." "A Jew like that may n ...[text shortened]... on for others.

A real Christian is basically in love with God. God lives in him and he in God
    Thanks.

At the risk of opening up the "trinity thing" I'll ask some questions, but let's keep it pragmatic rather than dogmatic if possible.

I do want to love God; bearing mind the three distinct persons of the godhead, who do I direct my love at the Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit? Which one of these persons should live in me and which one should I live in?

I do strive to have compassion on others but so do most atheists I know, how do I distinguish my compassion from their compassion?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If I recall correctly, the reason I asked if you 'really believe' was because you were putting things in this life as paramount. Someone who believes in life after death should have an entirely different value system from someone who does not. If you believe that death is the end, then it follows that dying is one of the worst things that can happen to a ...[text shortened]...
    Why is murder wrong? Is it because God says so in the Bible? Or is there more to it than that?
    Murder is wrong because I find it morally reprehensible irrespective of Christianity. But that belief is reinforced by what the bible says. From a religion only pov if god told me to kill I would disobey.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Who here can help me know if I am a real Christian?"

I can.[/b]
    Are you waiting to be asked to divulge this wisdom?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Maybe the Bible has a few definitions of what is a 'real' Christian. However other expressions like true, pure, devout might be used.
    They are positive adjectives, but I wouldn't pally them to myself; does that mean in your view I am not a Christian?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:08
    Originally posted by hakima
    Who is a Christian but he or she who professes and follows Christ?
    I agree. This is an interesting point. When Christ was on earth, following him was a straightforward but costly affair of leaving ones work and physically walking after him. However that is what the disciples did, there were those who did not follow Christ but were still (if you like) saved. Consider the thief on the cross for example. So what does it mean to follow Christ in the contemporary world?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I don't think anyone here can tell you that.

Why don't you ask the one who knows?

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." -- James 1:5-6, KJV

I believe you have faith. So ask of God, from whom we receive everything.
    Yes for my personal instruction I wouldn't come to this forum I would go to Jesus, to God. But that wouldn't make for much of a discussion here. 🙂
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As for the thread title, I personally think everyone has the right to give themselves the label they choose. So if you call yourself a Christian then I think you have the right to call yourself that. I also don't think anyone owns the trademark so nobody should rightly call themselves 'real Christian' as it implies others wishing to use the label are fake in some way.
    Agreed in principle, however the biblical or Jesus view of being a Christian was to be "born again", an overused and cliched term and because of that has probably lost much of its power.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The idea is to generate a discussion. Do you really think I'm looking for personal spiritual advice here?
    I knew you were just putting on a facade and just wanted to debate and argue. However, some people actually give you the benefit of the doubt that you are being honest when you ask the question.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:19
    I believe I've had experiences with God. Few and far between, but extremely compelling even for a fairly rational chap such as myself. You don't need and won't get details, just take my word for my perspective on that matter, that I believe it, or not, that it happened.
    The Indian mathematician Ramanujan claimed that some of his theorems came directly to him from a Hindu goddess. He has been dead nearly a century, but if you had overlapped in time with him, would you have tried to convince him that he was in error thinking such a thing?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:251 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I knew you were just putting on a facade and just wanted to debate and argue. However, some people actually give you the benefit of the doubt that you are being honest when you ask the question.
    Don't be touchy RJHinds I'm not "putting up a facade" as you call it, I am creating a genuine debate about my situation. Suzianne's reply to me was kind and accurate advice, but if I did that there would be no debate.

I'm not looking to share the deepest parts of my inner soul in this back-ally, but I'm prepared to share some elements to promote discussion. It's a matter of degree.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:293 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    The Indian mathematician Ramanujan claimed that some of his theorems came directly to him from a Hindu goddess. He has been dead nearly a century, but if you had overlapped in time with him, would you have tried to convince him that he was in error thinking such a thing?
    Hypothetically speaking of course (even if we did overlap), probably not, although I would believe he was mistaken. I don't believe one person can easily change another person's mind* on strongly held spiritual beliefs. From the Christian pov I believe only God can do that. Interestingly to me, I don't even try to change my own beliefs even when I doubt them. They will stand on their own merits. God will either sustain my faith, or he will not.

*although I'll argue with them over it at RHP!
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 06:42
    Thanks.

At the risk of opening up the "trinity thing" I'll ask some questions, but let's keep it pragmatic rather than dogmatic if possible.

I do want to love God; bearing mind the three [b]distinct
    persons of the godhead, who do I direct my love at the Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit? Which one of these persons should live in me and which on ...[text shortened]... others but so do most atheists I know, how do I distinguish my compassion from their compassion?[/b]
    They all live in you at the same time for they are one 🙂

Manny
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 07:55
    Murder is wrong because I find it morally reprehensible irrespective of Christianity. But that belief is reinforced by what the bible says. From a religion only pov if god told me to kill I would disobey.
    That is why I questioned whether you believed in life after death and in God. It just seems to me that if death is not the end, then murder isn't necessarily all that bad. And if God is all hes made out to be then following his orders might be the best thing to do at all times.
    Can you explain why you think murder is so wrong?
    Can you explain why you would disobey God?
    Note: don't look at my questions as challenging your faith, but rather seeking to better understand your reasoning.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 07:561 edit
    Agreed in principle, however the biblical or Jesus view of being a Christian was to be "born again", an overused and cliched term and because of that has probably lost much of its power.
    That depends on which part of the Bible and how you choose to interpret it.

I was baptized as a child, so am I born again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree