11 Jul '14 08:33
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    So, there could even be such a thing as a "Christian Atheist".]
    Whatever you're on, I'll have the same, thank you. 😛
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 12:40
    Originally posted by divegeester
    They are positive adjectives, but I wouldn't pally them to myself; does that mean in your view I am not a Christian?
    For me there are two definitions of a Christian. The dictionary definition which is anyone who professes to be such. So there are 2 billion or so Christians in the world by the world's definition. My own personal definition [and the one which accords with the teachings of Christ and the Apostles ] is anyone who makes the following of Christ commandments his life's priority. Whether or not you are a Christian by my definition I cannot say because I do not know you well enough.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 12:45
    I agree. This is an interesting point. When Christ was on earth, following him was a straightforward but costly affair of leaving ones work and physically walking after him. However that is what the disciples did, there were those who did not follow Christ but were still (if you like) saved. Consider the thief on the cross for example. So what does it mean to follow Christ in the contemporary world?
    You are very mistaken to state ..following him was a straightforward but costly affair of leaving ones work and physically walking after him.

Following Christ is about obedience to his commandments.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 20:42
    What Did Jesus Actually Teach?

It may come as a surprise to some that Jesus actually said that his followers should be “no part of the world, just as [he was] no part of the world.” (John 17:15, 16) Why would Christ encourage his disciples to take such a stand? Jesus’ beloved disciple the apostle John provided an answer. He wrote: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.”—1 John 5:19.

Hence, Christ’s teachings direct people, not to human entities, but to the heavenly Kingdom of God as the agency that will create a just and righteous world here on earth. (Matthew 6:10) Jesus himself did not show the slightest inclination to interfere with the social structure of his day. He rejected political office outright. (John 6:15) He also rejected violence as a way of settling disputes. (Matthew 26:50-53; John 18:36) Jesus left behind no constitution or canon of civil laws. He took no political stand on the issues of his day. For instance, he did not become an activist for the rights of slaves, nor did he involve himself in the struggle of the Jewish people against Rome.

This does not mean, however, that Jesus was unconcerned about people and their problems. Jesus taught a great deal about an individual’s responsibility toward his fellow man. He encouraged honesty in the payment of taxes and stressed the need to be submissive to those in legitimate positions of authority. (Matthew 22:17-21) He taught how to show an active interest in the welfare of those in need. He also taught how to show respect for the dignity of others and how to be empathetic, forgiving, and merciful. (Matthew, chapters 5-7) It is a well-known fact that the focus of Christ’s teachings is love of God and of neighbor.—Mark 12:30, 31.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 21:23
    I agree. This is an interesting point. When Christ was on earth, following him was a straightforward but costly affair of leaving ones work and physically walking after him. However that is what the disciples did, there were those who did not follow Christ but were still (if you like) saved. Consider the thief on the cross for example. So what does it mean to follow Christ in the contemporary world?
    When Christ walked the earth the disciples never called themselves Christians...
    Jesus simply called them "friends"
    and then he went away...

So what does it mean to maintain a friendship with one who rarely comes around? Does the friendship cease?

It has been said that "...we love him because he first loved us..."
    In contemporary times I think there is so much arguing and doing in identifying oneself as a Christian that simply being one by virtue of the aforementioned statement by John is forgotten.

It may well be that my original allusion to following is erroneous...perhaps who identifies a "real" Christian is not the claimant but the Claimer...which would make humanity in its entirety "Christian."
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 22:34
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    For me there are two definitions of a Christian. The dictionary definition which is anyone who professes to be such. So there are 2 billion or so Christians in the world by the world's definition. My own personal definition [and the one which accords with the teachings of Christ and the Apostles ] is anyone who makes the following of Christ commandments his ...[text shortened]... or not you are a Christian by my definition I cannot say because I do not know you well enough.
    Can you even say if YOU are a Christian "by your definition"?

I haven't seen enough to convince me, sorry.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 01:00
    “CHRISTIANITY exists only where the memory of Jesus Christ is activated in theory and practice.” (On Being a Christian) With those words, Swiss theologian Hans Küng states a self-evident truth: Genuine Christianity exists only where sincere individuals put Jesus’ teachings into practice.

What, then, if individuals or institutions claim to be followers of Christ but do not, in fact, practice what Jesus taught? Jesus himself said that many would claim to be Christians. They would point to various activities to prove that they had served him, saying: “Did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?” How, though, would Jesus react? His dramatic words express his judgment: “I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.”—Matthew 7:22, 23.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 01:46
    Originally posted by galveston75
    “CHRISTIANITY exists only where the memory of Jesus Christ is activated in theory and practice.” (On Being a Christian) With those words, Swiss theologian Hans Küng states a self-evident truth: Genuine Christianity exists only where sincere individuals put Jesus’ teachings into practice.

What, then, if individuals or institutions claim to be follower ...[text shortened]... is judgment: “I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.”—Matthew 7:22, 23.
    However, the Watchtower believes that judgment applies to everyone but Jehovah's Witnesses. I am not buying into that?
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 02:34
    “If You Have Love Among Yourselves”

One condition Jesus sets is this: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:34, 35.

Jesus requires his followers to have genuine love for one another and for the rest of mankind. Many individual Christians have fulfilled that condition during the centuries since Jesus walked the earth. But what about most of the religious organizations that have claimed to represent Christ? Has their history been marked by love? Certainly not. Instead, they have been in the forefront of countless wars and conflicts in which innocent blood has been spilled.—Revelation 18:24.

That has been true right up to modern times. Nations claiming to be Christian took the lead in the slaughter that marked the two world wars of the 20th century. More recently, members of so-called Christian churches were in the forefront of the savage atrocities and attempted genocide that took place in Rwanda in 1994. “Those who had turned against one another in this gory fashion,” writes former Anglican archbishop Desmond Tutu, “espoused the same faith. Most were Christian.”
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 03:15
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Whatever you're on, I'll have the same, thank you. 😛
    Shrug. It's easy. Just believe that he really DID say all that stuff about caring for the poor and sick, and all the stuff about him rising from the dead and ascending to heaven were tall tales.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:053 edits
    “If You Have Love Among Yourselves”

One condition Jesus sets is this: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:34, 35.

Jesus requires his followers to have genuine love for on ...[text shortened]... writes former Anglican archbishop Desmond Tutu, “espoused the same faith. Most were Christian.”
    Christian Charites are the best in the world

Christian Charities More Reliable Than Others, According to Forbes

Christian charitable organizations rank highest in terms of using donor money toward charitable projects and services, according to a recent Forbes study.

The Forbes study ranked the 200 largest U.S. charities based on three criteria: fundraising efficiency (the difference between income and expenditures), charitable commitment (amount of funds directly diverted to charity) and donor dependency.

Four out of the five charities that received a perfect rating in both fundraising efficiency and charitable commitment are Christian organizations.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/christian-charities-more-reliable-than-others-according-to-forbes-64522/#!

Jehovah's Witnesses charities are among the worst.

The central body for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Britain and a spiritual healer’s organisation were the charities about which the Charity Commission received the most complaints in the two years to March 2012.

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-charity-commission-and-jehovahs-witnesses-is-the-game-finally-up
  12. Wisconsin
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:37
    There is a very good web site that will help you on your spiritual journey called prayerchaininternational.org
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 08:42
    What Did Jesus Actually Teach?

It may come as a surprise to some that Jesus actually said that his followers should be “no part of the world, just as [he was] no part of the world.” (John 17:15, 16) Why would Christ encourage his disciples to take such a stand? Jesus’ beloved disciple the apostle John provided an answer. He wrote: “The whole world is ...[text shortened]... -known fact that the focus of Christ’s teachings is love of God and of neighbor.—Mark 12:30, 31.
    A sincere welcome back to the forum from me Galveston.

I'll respond to the other posts later as I have chores to do...
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 12:20
    Are you waiting to be asked to divulge this wisdom?
    Are you saying that your question, "who here can help me know if I am a real Christian?", is rhetorical, that you already know you are a real Christian?

Otherwise I answered your question, as it appeared in the body of your OP that you had doubts. Or perhaps due to grammatical inconsistencies I misunderstood your intent. That's entirely possible, but then again, maybe you're just not sure whether or not you are a Christian.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 15:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christian Charites are the best in the world

[b]Christian Charities More Reliable Than Others, According to Forbes

[quote] Christian charitable organizations rank highest in terms of using donor money toward charitable projects and services, according to a recent Forbes study.

The Forbes study ranked the 200 largest U.S. charities based on three ...[text shortened]... ://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-charity-commission-and-jehovahs-witnesses-is-the-game-finally-up[/b]
    Yes giving to anyone in need physical items is required by Jesus, not wrong there. What else did Jesus "command" his followers to do? Are you seeing only one side of the coin?

Jesus's own words:
    Matthew 24:14
    14 And this good news of the Kingdom "will be preached" in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Who is doing this preaching work worldwide? You?

Matt 28: 19.20:
    19 Go, therefore, and "make disciples" of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Who is spending 8 billions hours a year doing this disciple making? You?

So yes being a charity may not be the prime focus that we do, but we do it.
    But Jesus never commanded to start charites as he himself never did such a thing and with his ability to produced food from a very small amount as he showed, he could have feed every starving human on earth. But he didn't did he?
    But what did he "command" his followers to do and even did it himself? Preach and teach........

Your missing the points of Jesus's words, commands and examples he set.

So don't knock us for doing exactly what Jesus said for us to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree