1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    An em-dash is constructed with two strokes, not three. You may include a space on either side or omit it, but do not include a space on one side and exclude it on the other.

fallen man--even more when He blesses us--God does not

or

fallen man -- even more when He blesses us -- God does not
    I'll look into that.
  2. Gangster Land
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    An em-dash is constructed with two strokes, not three. You may include a space on either side or omit it, but do not include a space on one side and exclude it on the other.

fallen man--even more when He blesses us--God does not

or

fallen man -- even more when He blesses us -- God does not
    Your contribution to this thread is truly overwhelming.

TheSkipper
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:13
    I looked into it, and surprise! No hard and fast rules on either the em or en dash. Go figure. Some minutae is acceptable in American or British circles, others in German typography, others still in TeX. As this is not a scholarly forum, I doubt I will be seeing any deduction in points for my continued--- and obstinate--- use of this new style of dashing punctuation. I think it will catch on.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:15
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

TheSkipper
    He's just sore over another thread. Give him some pocket change, and he'll go away.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:271 edit
    Ok...but what was Job's sin? What did Abraham do that was so bad that God needed to convince him that he needs to sacrifice his own son; only to then tell him it was all a big mind game?

If god stuck to killing evil people I could buy your story but it seems he liked to screw around with people that were trying to honestly do their best. It is a litt both Job and satan come off looking much better than God...at least in my view.

TheSkipper
    Ok...but what was Job's sin?

Job didn’t sin; that’s part of the point—or rather the question—of the story. This is the original “When Bad Things Happen to Good People” text. Nor is there anything about “original sin” (or sin-nature), as this is not a Jewish concept.

Job: 1:1—A man was in the land of Uz, Job his name, the man himself perfect [Hebrew: tam, whole, complete, having complete integrity] and upright; who held God in awe and turned aside from evil.* [my translation]

All throughout the story, Job maintains his innocence against the arguments of three “friends”—

The following are a few brief commentaries by rabbis on the general thrust of the friends’ arguments (from the Stone Tanach):

Eliphaz: “He contends that suffering is not haphazard. Rather than railing about his fate, Job should examine his deeds and try to discover why God punished him,” i.e., Job must have sinned even if he doesn’t know it.

Bildad: Job should just repent. “If [he] would repent, the blessings [God] would bestow upon [him] would overshadow even those of the past.” (Ramban) In 18:4, “Addressing Job, Bildad asks sarcastically whether Job expects God (‘the Rock&rsquo😉 and the world to change as a consequence of his complaints.” (Rashi)

Zophar: “Zophar berates Job for thinking himself ‘virtuous in God’s eyes,’ since no mortal can fathom God’s doctrine. If all were known, Job would realize that he deserved to be punished even more.”

The “friends” make several more accusations and arguments against job as the narrative proceeds. Then the young Elihu speaks; his basic argument is: “God inflicts illness to make the victim consider his mortality and mend his ways, thereby saving his life in the process.” (Rashi) Also: “God is not responsible to a Higher Authority and has no need to pervert justice to destroy a man. Why should God deal with man unjustly? He could simply take back the soul that He granted man.” (Rashi) And: “Everything that He has brought upon [Job] is with a precise, deliberate purpose.” (Ramban) “Elihu pleads with Job to submit to God’s judgment and stop blaming Him for his plight.” (Metzudos)

God’s answer to Job is basically that Job does not know enough to question God—

Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind: 2 "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Gird up your loins like a man, I will question you, and you shall declare to me 4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. (NRSV)

That is really all the answer Job gets, and Job submits to it. God rebukes the others for not having “spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” (42:7, NRSV)

Since I take a monistic viewpoint on all this, my only conclusion can be:

“Why do bad things happen to good people?”

“I don’t know. That’s just the way it is. I’ll take my portion of life as a blessing anyway—e.g., like Camus, I choose to live, and to live with awe and passion, in the face of the apparent absurdities of existence, rather than commit suicide.”

* “The Talmud cites no less than eight opinions about when Job lived, ranging from that of the time of Jacob to that of the Babylonian exiles’ return to the Holy Land. There is also an opinion that Job did not actually exist at all, and the story is a parable.” (The Stone Edition Tanach, Mesorah Publications, 1996; this is an Orthodox Jewish Hebrew/English version.)
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:32
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    Look at the parent child relationship. Why does a parent spank a child? Not because the parent is a sadist, but to teach the child a lesson that benefits the child.
    Or, the parent is out of control with impotent rage and keeps on hitting the kid and hitting it until it stops breathing...that'll teach the little ingrate.

Or, the parent got hit as a kid and just wants to keep up the family tradition.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:40

TheSkipper
    I'm sorry to muck up your thread, Skipper. You've asked a good question, and I, too, have given it a lot of thought. However, since I am not among those who attribute authority to the so-called New Testament, I though it best to leave others to answer.

My little lesson in punctuation was offered per a specific request by the pupil, and as is clear from his response, it was not, in fact, welcome. He neither welcomes the criticism, nor perceives any rationale for standards of punctuation.

I'll refrain from mucking up this thread further. I am enjoying reading the thread, however.
  8. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:46
    How does the perception of a wrathful, OT God align with the Christian assertion of a loving God?

I have been thinking about this one for years and while my liberal theology allows me the freedom to simply dismiss much of the OT as allegorical and the ravings of lunatics I know that many of you are unwilling to do that. So how do you answer the question?

TheSkipper
    What about the loving OT God?

The one who looked over everything he created and said it was "good"? The one who saw Adam's situation and said "it is not good for him to be alone"? The one who spared Cain's life? The one who established a covenant with Noah? The one who promised (and gave) descendants to a childless nonagenarian couple?

And that's just the first twelve chapters.
  9. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 17:48
    Fine, but parents who attempt to turn their kids into a pillars of salt ARE considered sadists, or worse. Parents who engage in extreem mental abuse such as perpatrated by God on Job and Abraham are child abusers. We are talking a whole different level of punsihement here than a spanking.

TheSkipper
    For an immortal human soul, is being turned into a pillar of salt absolutely the worst thing that can happen?
  10. Gangster Land
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:502 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Ok...but what was Job's sin?

The “friends” make several more accusations and arguments against job as the narrative proceeds. Then the young Elihu speaks; his basic argument is: “God inflicts illness to make the victim consider his mortality and mend his ways, thereby saving his life in the process.” (Rashi) Also: “God is not responsible to gment and stop blaming Him for his plight.” (Metzudos)
    [/b]
    Thank you, vistesd, for yet another fascinating post.

I like your explanation of the story quite a bit and is the best I have heard even if your conclusion is not terribly satisfying to me.

Clearly the answer(s) to my query with regards to why Job got what he did are in the words of young Elihu. For instance:

“God inflicts illness to make the victim consider his mortality and mend his ways, thereby saving his life in the process.”

That is all fine and good but aren’t we already working from the opinion that Job (even in God's eyes) was without sin? What ways needed mending? What was Job's life in danger from? Besides, of course, an apparently moody and temperamental, God.

To answer my own question I suppose even the blameless man needs to repent when he becomes proud and self-righteous. The problem I see is that it is not until after all these things have befallen Job and his three friends have basically accused him of everything they could think of that he "becomes" self-righteous. In effect God has made the sin only to knock it down.

Then Elihu says something VERY interesting:

"God is not responsible to a Higher Authority and has no need to pervert justice to destroy a man."

Now this is amazing. Elihu is basically saying that God cannot sin because there is no one for him to sin against. If God cannot sin then I cannot hold him responsible to play by the same rules as I must play by and in the end God can kill and maim and destroy all he wants and I have no moral objection that can possibly pertain to Him.
    I have only one other recourse and that is to punish him in the only way I can and not love him. If I choose this course of action, however, I will miss out on eternity in Heaven so it is not wise or logical for me to not love God.

In the end I'm faced with a moral dilemma; do I love the God that in addition to creating all things and showing me grace and mercy also destroys, murders and commits countless acts that he has taught me are evil just so I can spend eternal life with him? Or, do I take a moral stand and insist that if evil is evil for me then it is also evil for Him and spend the rest of eternity away from God?

This seems to be the classic "do as I say not as I do" scenario with a twist. The twist, of course, being that what He "does" is only bad if I do it and not when He does it.

Sorry this is so stream of consciousness, but I just had another thought. In Genesis when God says "Behold they have become like us, knowing good from evil..." Is he not saying that the concepts of both evil and good transcend the gap between God and man? "They have become like us..." This does not suggest a different level of understanding or accountability but the same. If this be true then to me an evil act is an evil act whether it be done by God or man.

Wow...I'm confused. I think I just assigned myself a lifetime of study...sigh.

TheSkipper
  11. Gangster Land
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:56
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    For an immortal human soul, is being turned into a pillar of salt absolutely the worst thing that can happen?
    I have no idea. If it is such a petty thing, however, why can I not go around liberating immortal souls from the bonds of the body without sinning? Because we have been taught that human life has value even if the life itself is fleeting...sadly, it apparently has little or no value to God.

TheSkipper
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 19:12
    Ok...but what was Job's sin? What did Abraham do that was so bad that God needed to convince him that he needs to sacrifice his own son; only to then tell him it was all a big mind game?

If god stuck to killing evil people I could buy your story but it seems he liked to screw around with people that were trying to honestly do their best. It is a litt ...[text shortened]... both Job and satan come off looking much better than God...at least in my view.

TheSkipper
    I think God tested Abraham to see what was important to him. I must agree from a human perspective it is indeed a very difficult test. But God wanted to see whether Abraham would be obedient, whether he loved God so much and trusted him so much that he would be prepared to sacrifice even his own son.

As with Job, I think that again is something very difficult to swallow when looking at it from a human perspective. But I think God does not only send difficulty our way when we do wrong. I believe that God sends difficulty our way even if we do good, in order to purify us even more. I think it is similar to the purification of gold. God puts us in the "fire" in order to 'burn out' the impurities in us as well as to test our faith.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 19:30
    Although God's justice acts as guard over His entire essence, that justice is never abitrary or capricious. His justice is watched over by His righteousness, which assures no corruption can take place, as per the standard of His perfect fairness. Psalm 9:8
    And He shall judge the world in righteousness,
    He shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.

Justice is the function of divine integrity, and righteousness is the principle. What the righteousness of God demands, the justice of God must perform: what righteousness condemns, justice judges; what righteousness approves, justice blesses.
    Absolute righteousness is the key to God's character, as all else depends on this attribute. Inviolable righteousness is at the very core of His being (Isa. 6:3,4).
    God cannot tolerate less than His own perfection. Righteousness protects His impeccable justice when dealing with fallen man. As such, righteousness is God's point of responsibility toward all the sins of the human race.
  14. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 19:51
    You realise, of course, that you have now just equated death and spanking, right?

Yeah Job ended up with more wheat and ox (or whatever) but his family is DEAD. If your family were killed and the guitly party supplied you with way more wheat than you had before would this be reasonable to you?

It has taught many people many things over the years? ...[text shortened]... eous or God and Satan may get in a pissing contest over me and then I'm screwed.

TheSkipper
    Job also ended up with more children than he started with.

You're right to fear God. To be placed in the hand of a living god is a fearful thing.

DF
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 20:20

Thank you, vistesd, for yet another fascinating post.

I like your explanation of the story quite a bit and is the best I have heard even if your conclusion is not terribly satisfying to me.

Clearly the answer(s) to my query with regards to why Job got what he did are in the words of young Elihu. For instance:

“God inflicts illness to make ...[text shortened]... fused. I think I just assigned myself a lifetime of study...sigh.

TheSkipper[/b]
    Interesting thing about Elihu (which I did not make clear), is that he is not rebuked by God; God says nothing at all about his speech.

In the end I'm faced with a moral dilemma...

Yep. At least with a God of “supernatural theism” (a bad phrase; I’m not sure that “extra-natural” is any better—basically a God who is a being who exists in a domain separate from the natural cosmos).

I think I just assigned myself a lifetime of study...sigh.

And that’s a bad thing? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree