1. Belgium
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 17:48
    Hi,
    When I look at these threads I get the feeling there is only a discussion between 'atheism' and 'christianity'. Why are the other options left behind? For example in the discussion between evolution an creationism nobody seems to consider the opinions of the other religions.
    How do christians see for example Buddhists of muslims? Are they worse then atheists, or better because they believe in something? And if it doesn't matter in what you believe as long as you believe in something, why believe in anything at all?
    Just curious.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 17:52
    Originally posted by michiely
    Hi,
    When I look at these threads I get the feeling there is only a discussion between 'atheism' and 'christianity'. Why are the other options left behind? For example in the discussion between evolution an creationism nobody seems to consider the opinions of the other religions.
    How do christians see for example Buddhists of muslims? Are they worse then a ...[text shortened]... believe as long as you believe in something, why believe in anything at all?
    Just curious.
    I agree. I wish the threads would include other subjects but it does seem we always get back to those same ones. But no one has really come forward to address those other points yet...
    Give it a try and start a new thread.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 18:59
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I agree. I wish the threads would include other subjects but it does seem we always get back to those same ones. But no one has really come forward to address those other points yet...
    Give it a try and start a new thread.
    Well, I spent a couple years doing mainly rabbinical Judaism—the Judaism of the two torahs, written and oral—from a liberal (think reform or reconstructionist) and non-dualist perspective; and a lot of Zen, and a bit of other non-dualist systems. Before your time mostly, though, Galveston. There were a few more Buddhists, of varying kinds, here once. Ahosyney and scherzo have presented (differing) Muslim viewpoints; but Ahosyney is not around anymore (I thoroughly enjoyed debating with him: often sharp debate, but always civil and friendly).

I’d also just say that there is a lot of Christian-versus-Christian debate here too (and generally always has been); the debate between you and Robbie, on the one hand, and jaywill and Epiphenehas, on the other, for example—and a really good, informative debate that was, all ‘round!

I only drop in here from time to time now, to see what’s going on and read some interesting stuff—including yours, of course! 😉—seldom posting. But it seems to me that you’re right. Well, the forum’s always in flux; it’ll likely cycle round to include other perspectives as new people arrive.

Anyway, be well.
  4. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 07:14
    Hi,
    How do christians see for example Buddhists of muslims? Are they worse then a ...[text shortened]... believe as long as you believe in something, why believe in anything at all?
    Just curious.
    Creationists believe in God whom created all of the earth.
    Mostly other religions have some sort of god - I know only a few.
    Atheist dont believe in God or any gods.
    Evolutionists believe everybody is wrong and they are right....

It is better to believe in something, especially something good (like God) as this gives you hope for your future. If you have no hope and no future, what will you become? If you're lost with which type of religion you'd want to go with, heck you have to start somewhere, start with a Bible and someone who can tell you more about God and Jesus.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 07:25
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    If you have no hope and no future, what will you become?
    So far, a far better person than most Christians I know.
    It seems rather stupid to delude yourself into believing something because you are afraid that without the belief something bad will happen to you. Yet that is what you are suggesting.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 07:262 edits
    There are a lot of christians believing in the science of evolution...

Why deny god's most beautiful creation - evolution?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 07:29

It is better to believe in something, especially something good (like God) as this gives you hope for your future. If you h ...[text shortened]... to start somewhere, start with a Bible and someone who can tell you more about God and Jesus.
    could you be more ignorant?

evolutionists believe everybody is wrong and they are right... regarding the origin of species. no evolutionist ever claimed that god is not existent. and those that do are either as fundamentalist as you or they react to your claim that the bible is 100% correct. they see evolution as proof that the bible isn't 100% accurate (which it isn't) but they conclude from this that god is not real.

which is your fault mainly.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 10:29
    I must point out that everybody believes they are right and that anyone who believes otherwise is wrong. Whether or not we go around saying so, and how we say it, is another matter. On some topics of course we remain agnostic.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 10:32

It is better to believe in something, especially something good (like God) as this gives you hope for your future. If you h ...[text shortened]... to start somewhere, start with a Bible and someone who can tell you more about God and Jesus.
    The Catholic Church and the Church of England accept evolution.

How does that fit in with your strange view of the world?
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 12:271 edit
    Hi,
    How do christians see for example Buddhists of muslims? Are they worse then a believe as long as you believe in something, why believe in anything at all?
    Just curious.
    This is very true and largely due to the predominance of these groups on the sites. I would love to know more about the budhist, hindu, muslim and other religions out there.

If we got a few more like Vistesd on the site then I'm sure it would do us all a lot of good but I think they would have to be quite dedicated and thick-skinned to get themselves heard. I don't think the situation is likely to change in the near future. Too much of a barrier to entry.

I just have to respond to Nicksten's "If you're lost with which type of religion you'd want to go with, heck you have to start somewhere, start with a Bible".

You should not start with the bible. You should start with something that gives an overview of each major religion: its history, philosophy and teachings, social and political aspects. Then decide which ones you are most drawn to and maybe then you should look at their specific texts.

You should also not forget the various forms on non-religion: Look into the Humanist movement and what they are trying to do.

--- Penguin.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 12:41
    Originally posted by Penguin
    This is very true and largely due to the predominance of these groups on the sites. I would love to know more about the budhist, hindu, muslim and other religions out there.

If we got a few more like Vistesd on the site then I'm sure it would do us all a lot of good but I think they would have to be quite dedicated and thick-skinned to get themselves hear ...[text shortened]... religion: Look into the Humanist movement and what they are trying to do.

--- Penguin.
    It would be very nice to hear other world view points from different religions, but unfortunately that's not the case. Partly beacuse of the demographic this website is directed at i guess.

It would be nice to hear from more moderate Christians also, but they always seem to be shot down and drowned out by the fundamentalists who claim only their version is correct.
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 19:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I must point out that everybody believes they are right and that anyone who believes otherwise is wrong. Whether or not we go around saying so, and how we say it, is another matter. On some topics of course we remain agnostic.
    I take issue with that. I don't spend a moment of my day believing that I am right. I don't care. I just try to be honest and responsible. Having to be right is a character-defect.
  13. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 20:13
    Agreed - what I believe is simply a product of where I'm at in this particular juncture in my life. It works for me and it's right - for me. I get to decide what's right for me. Others get to decide what is right for them.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 00:08
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Agreed - what I believe is simply a product of where I'm at in this particular juncture in my life. It works for me and it's right - for me. I get to decide what's right for me. Others get to decide what is right for them.
    This post typifies exactly what is wrong with those who deny that Jesus is God's Christ.

You're all a bunch of gods deciding for your selves what is right and wrong.

I have news for you. You will be judged by God's standard.

There's a saying among some Christians. They say, "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."

That's wrong! It should be, "God said it, that settles it."

Get it?
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 02:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    This post typifies exactly what is wrong with those who deny that Jesus is God's Christ.

You're all a bunch of gods deciding for your selves what is right and wrong.

I have news for you. You will be judged by God's standard.

There's a saying among some Christians. They say, "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."

That's wrong! It should be, "God said it, that settles it."

Get it?
    Gee, I wonder why people of other religions are hesitant to post on these forums?

I got news for you Joseph. Your god is not my god.

Get it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree