anti-intellectualism

anti-intellectualism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
If you wish to start a thread about the NWT then please do so, this thread is about Christian anti intellectualism and substituting sentiment and emotional content for intellectual content resulting in a faith that is irrational and unsound. If you have something to say about that, then please leave a comment otherwise let the people that want to discuss it rationally, do so.
Hey, you brought it up.

And no, I don't want to talk about JW anti-intellectualism. It's a scourge on this forum the more rational of us have been fighting for some time now.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Hey, you brought it up.

And no, I don't want to talk about JW anti-intellectualism. It's a scourge on this forum the more rational of us have been fighting for some time now.
please go home. This is not the thread for you.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14
2 edits

My friends i do not claim to be an intellectual, far from it, however it appears to me that there is not a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith. This could be for a number of reasons and I hesitate to speculate, nev ...[text shortened]... w with suspicion a sentimentality that cannot provide a solid and rational basis for your faith.
"The Word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and the marrow, and is a critic of thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

"All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God might be mature, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
(2 Timothy 2:15)

Yes. Christianity is focused on apprehending absolute truth through a rational thought process, not feelings. Koine Greek word "Gnosis" refers to academic information/thought. Epignosis refers to gnosis assimilated and applied experientially.

The Koine Greek Word “epignosis” (twenty one occurrences in the New Testament):

http://www.wenstrom.org/downloads/written/word_studies/greek/epignosis.pdf

http://www.gbible.org/index.php?proc=tre&sf=rea&tid=308

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"The Word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and the marrow, and is a critic of thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

"All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in ...[text shortened]... academic information/thought. Epignosis refers to gnosis assimilated and applied experientially.
Excellent Bobs, most excellent indeed. It therefore begs the question, why the reticence among many professed Christians for study? Why the preponderance of a kind of emotionalism?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14

Excellent Bobs, most excellent indeed. It therefore begs the question, why the reticence among many professed Christians for study? Why the preponderance of a kind of emotionalism?
These questions are an individual matter between the believer and God. I for one would not presume to judge anyone. Why? 1) Scripture warns against such behavior; 2) Yours truly has all he can handle keeping the rows straight in his own garden.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14

These questions are an individual matter between the believer and God. I for one would not presume to judge anyone. Why? 1) Scripture warns against such behavior; 2) Yours truly has all he can handle keeping the rows straight in his own garden.
Surely one can try to identify causes GB without running the danger of making a moral judgement on the basis of those causes? for example some Christians have a much more experiential approach and highlight the action of Holy spirit, or some kind of inexplicable mysterious mingling of God and man etc one can seek to understand the reasons for this without making a moral judgement on the validity or other wise of their respective approach.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14

The allegations if we can call them that against taking in knowledge of God and Christ appear to me to be unfounded. For example someone stated that it leads to 'head knowledge', citing the Pharisees as as example. This may be the case, but it should not nor does not negate the need for study, for the entire point of talking in knowledge is so that one can ruminate upon it and let that knowledge percolate from the mind to the heart, the seat of motivation. Now the danger is that if we do not take the time to meditate and reflect upon it, it may indeed simply remain as 'head knowledge', but the Christian is counselled to 'ponder over these things', to be 'absorbed in them', James talks of 'peering into the perfect law which belongs to freedom' etc

Moves
23 Apr 14
2 edits

Actually I didn't say it at all, associate professor BeDhun did. Then again he only examined about nine of the most popular ones and compared them to the original Greek text. How many have you examined in this way?
Your claims about BeDhun's examination have been put into correct context several times since you first made that biased claim; you really shouldn't keep quoting it as it makes you look dishonest.
🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14

The allegations if we can call them that against taking in knowledge of God and Christ appear to me to be unfounded. For example someone stated that it leads to 'head knowledge', citing the Pharisees as as example. This may be the case, but it should not nor does not negate the need for study, for the entire point of talking in knowledge is so that ...[text shortened]... e 'absorbed in them', James talks of 'peering into the perfect law which belongs to freedom' etc
All knowledge in any realm is 'head knowledge'. Kardia in the New Testament refers to the mentality of the soul which receives and circulates information assimilated into thought (vocabulary, principles, categories, rationales) located in the cranial cavity. Cardio, refers to the organ at the left of the sternum. The word, "heart" is misapplied whenever substituted for head/mind to emphasize emotion. "Well, I don't feel saved." Of course you don't; you're still an ignorant infant kicking and screaming for attention when your actual need is food from God's Word. What controls your mind is the issue.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Your claims about BeDhun's examination have been put into correct context several times since you first made that biased claim; you really shouldn't keep quoting it as it makes you look dishonest.
🙂
Engaging the person rather than tackling the substance of the post is what small minds do. -RAJK to Divesgeester

this thread is not about me, your perceptions of my honesty, your attempts to propagandise your perceptions of my honesty or the New world translation, its about emotionalism and sentimentality substituting for knowledge and study in a Christians faith. If you cannot respect what the thread is about then perhaps this is not the thread for you.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14
2 edits

All knowledge in any realm is 'head knowledge'. Kardia in the New Testament refers to the mentality of the soul which receives and circulates information assimilated into thought (vocabulary, principles, categories, rationales) located in the cranial cavity. Cardio, refers to the organ at the left of the sternum. The word, "heart" is misapplied whenever ...[text shortened]... r attention when your actual need is food from God's Word. What controls your mind is the issue.
this may be the case GB bit the heart is also figuratively used as the seat of motivation, thus the process runs something like this. We read of Christs compassion, we think and meditate upon that example, we ask ourselves how we can apply this knowledge (transferring what is merely cerebral into something much more tangible), this knowledge percolates from our minds to our hearts and has a very real effect upon the personality motivating us to try to be more compassionate.

Now you can rely upon your own compassion, or any other Christian trait, but not all are naturally compassionate, not all are loving or kind. Thus knowledge itself is absolutely paramount if we are to 'put on the mind of Christ.' Simply relying on emotionalism is not going to be enough.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Apr 14

Engaging the person rather than tackling the substance of the post is what small minds do. -RAJK to Divesgeester

this thread is not about me, your perceptions of my honesty, your attempts to propagandise your perceptions of my honesty or the New world translation, its about emotionalism and sentimentality substituting for knowledge and study in a ...[text shortened]... th. If you cannot respect what the thread is about then perhaps this is not the thread for you.
I see you're collecting quotes. Don't forget this one Rob.

'You may term me close minded, ignorant, or whatever else adjectives that spring to mind, i will never deny any of them.' robbie carrobie

Moves
23 Apr 14
2 edits

this thread is not about me, your perceptions of my honesty, your attempts to propagandise your perceptions of my honesty or the New world translation, its about emotionalism and sentimentality substituting for knowledge and study in a ...[text shortened]... th. If you cannot respect what the thread is about then perhaps this is not the thread for you.
In this thread you made a misleading claim (again) about the NWT and in this thread I corrected that claim. You have repeatedly made the claim and have repeatedly been called on it; if you don't like being called on the claim's validity then I politely suggest you stop making it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14
3 edits

this may be the case GB bit the heart is also figuratively used as the seat of motivation, thus the process runs something like this. We read of Christs compassion, we think and meditate upon that example, we ask ourselves how we can apply this knowledge (transferring what is merely cerebral into something much more tangible), this knowledge percola ...[text shortened]... we are to 'put on the mind of Christ.' Simply relying on emotionalism is not going to be enough.
"Simply relying on emotionalism is not going to be enough." Agree.

The emotional cluster has no rational capacity for thought. This is why the worst decisions we ever make are made in the heat of the moment. Emotions are designed to appreciate (or not appreciate). "Compassion" yes. Condolences, yes. Anguishing concern, yes. All of these human experiences begin with rational perception (then reflected upon and related to norms and standards, conscience, expectations, hopes, wishes and dreams). Of course the emotions become engaged.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I see you're collecting quotes. Don't forget this one Rob.

'You may term me close minded, ignorant, or whatever else adjectives that spring to mind, i will never deny any of them.' robbie carrobie
Absolutely irrelevant to the content on this thread. Please go home, this thread is not for you.