Anyone but Huckabee in 08

Anyone but Huckabee in 08

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
16 Jan 08

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/15/huckabee-amend-the-constitution-to-gods-standards/

"And that's what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards.."

I don't care what his religion or his beliefs are, but this is just showing a complete disregard to what the constitution is there for.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
16 Jan 08

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/15/huckabee-amend-the-constitution-to-gods-standards/

"And that's what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards.."

I don't care what his religion or his beliefs are, but this is just showing a complete disregard to what the constitution is there for.
I agree,but take it to debates spanky!

Hmmm . . .

Moves
16 Jan 08

Originally posted by duecer
I agree,but take it to debates spanky!
Actually, I think it can be in both. The players and the arguments are likely to be quite different. Such theocratic notions—especially in terms of a divine-command theory of morality—have been debated on here before.

I admit that I am one who publicly groans whenever spiritual arguments seem to—again and again and again—reduce to just questions of morality and ethics. Nonetheless, if someone claims divine-command morality (and/or that all moral thought is groundless without a divine commander), and that society has the right the constrain certain immoral behavior, then I think that confluence lends relevance to a debate on here.

Of course, it doesn’t have to be all about morality: there are questions of public education, for example; there are historical precedence for one religious group, in concert with civil authorities, preventing the free expression of other religious groups, for fear of infecting the faithful with heresies, etc.

g

Moves
16 Jan 08

The Constitution has to fit SOMEBODY'S standard, so it may as well be God's.

Every law and amendment on the books was put there based on somebody's standard.

P

Moves
16 Jan 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer

Every law and amendment on the books was put there based on somebody's standard.
Of course, who cares about the first amendment? I would rather the constitution be based on the standards of the values of a free and democratic people than what a politician thinks a likely fictional being holds as a standard.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
16 Jan 08
1 edit

So, you will be quite happy to live under shariah?

Or, Roman Catholic interpretation of God's standards?

Or Calvin's?

Or...?

s

Moves
16 Jan 08

Scientology... they have some good ideas.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
16 Jan 08

Originally posted by snowinscotland
Scientology... they have some good ideas.
You . . . Thetan! 😉

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Jan 08

From NBC/NJ's Adam Aigner-Treworgy

WARREN, Mich. -- Huckabee's closing argument to voters here this evening featured a few new stories and two prolonged sections on illegal immigration and Christian values.

These two topics usually feature prominently in Huckabee's stump speech, but last night he got specific, promising to build a border fence within 18 months if elected and elaborating on his belief that the constitution needs to be amended.

"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Huckabee often refers to the need to amend the constitution on these grounds, but he has never so specifically called for the Constitution to be brought within "God's standards," which are themselves debated amongst religious scholars. As a closing statement he asked the room of nearly 500 supporters to "pray and then work hard, and in that order," to help him secure a victory in Tuesday's GOP primary.

Tomorrow Huckabee will visit two polling places in the morning before taking off for South Carolina where he will watch Michigan's returns come in.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/15/579265.aspx

Daniel

Napoli, Italia

Moves
17 Jan 08

Frankly, I CARE what the candidates "religious beliefs" are, because I will NOT vote for anyone religious or seeming to be so.

P

Moves
17 Jan 08

Originally posted by Stregone
Frankly, I CARE what the candidates "religious beliefs" are, because I will NOT vote for anyone religious or seeming to be so.
You're right. To that kind of extent I do care to know what they are.

I do think you can believe in god and believe in the separation of church and state and also believe that only science should be taught in science class.

Unfortunately in this country you have to have religious beliefs to get elected.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd
From NBC/NJ's Adam Aigner-Treworgy

WARREN, Mich. -- Huckabee's closing argument to voters here this evening featured a few new stories and two prolonged sections on illegal immigration and Christian values.
What happened to love your neighbor? Fighting illegal immigration and Christian values should not be compatible.

Of course the real question is which Gods standards should we use? Since everyone has a different interpretation of those standards surely it will either come down to some individuals personal opinion or a vote and the most fair way would be to come up with something that is reasonably fair to everyone - but that is more or less what the current constitution was meant to be.

g

Moves
17 Jan 08

Of course, who cares about the first amendment? I would rather the constitution be based on the standards of the values of a free and democratic people than what a politician thinks a likely fictional being holds as a standard.
I care a lot about the first amendment and the democratic process, and I suspect that Mr. Huckabee does as well. Mr. Huckabee never suggested a circumvention of the poltical process in order to change the Constiution. He believes that the "standard" should be God. Everybody gets their standards from somewhere. The Declaration of Independence states that men are "Endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights..."

You think that God is "fictional." You also believe that that constitution should be based on the "standards of the values of a free and democratic people..." About 90% of the U. S. population believes in God, and I suspect that many of those people think that God should set the standard. In some sense you seem to be arguing against yourself.

g

Moves
17 Jan 08

Originally posted by vistesd
So, you will be quite happy to live under shariah?

Or, Roman Catholic interpretation of God's standards?

Or Calvin's?

Or...?
I'm ignorant about what the "shariah" is, so I don't know if I'd be happy to live under that or not.

I WOULD be happy to live under the Roman Catholic interperation of God's standards (as I understand them).

Calvin sounds good to me...

g

Moves
17 Jan 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
What happened to love your neighbor? Fighting illegal immigration and Christian values should not be compatible.
Why aren't they compatible? I can love the illegal alien as a fellow human being who was created in the image of God without condoning their lawlessness. I can love the thief, but still think that (s)he should go to jail for stealing someone's car. Remember: "Hate the sin but love the sinner." (Cliche # 37)