1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 07:221 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I didn't say NO prophecies have EVER come true. I said no APOCALYPIC prophecies have come true. End of the world stuff. World wide floods which is nonsense. There was a world wide ICE age about 700 million years ago but there is no evidence for ANY kind of world wide flood, which wasn't a prophecy anyway. End days crap is just an ongoing fear campaign for t ...[text shortened]... up with. Look at David Koresh, Jim Jones, Masada, and the like. Weak people following despots.
    As you say the Noahic flood is not prophesy, it is Biblical 'history'. I find it interesting that mountains and valleys exist because of tectonic pressure over time, wind back time far enough and there probably wasn't much undulation of the Earth's crust, just a large flat area.

Now go to youtube and watch the videos of the Japanese tsunami and how the sea engulfed the land easily. It is not impossible to imagine a similar event on a cataclysmic scale after say a gigantic meteorite crashes through the atmosphere.

You don't have to believe the Biblical account or course, but don't write off a massive geological trauma just because you are angry at god and/or lack the imagination to explore possibilities.

Edit: coincidentally I notice you have started other thread about something similar.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 07:471 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I find it interesting that mountains and valleys exist because of tectonic pressure over time, wind back time far enough and there probably wasn't much undulation of the Earth's crust, just a large flat area.
    Actually no, the earth's crust keeps changing and was never flat. From the moment its surface cooled enough to have a solid crust, there have been tectonic plates and movement of them.

Of course if we are talking about Noah, then its even more absurd to suggest that mountain ranges like the Himalayas appeared in the last 4000 years or so.
    Even the whole period during which man has roamed the earth, the continents and mountain ranges have hardly changed. The main changes have been changes in sea level due to extra ice as the poles, but even this is 10s of meters not kilometres.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 08:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus foretold of those people and said not to follow them. But many don't read and study the scriptures for themselves, but rely on false teachers to guide them. As Jesus said, it is the blind leading the blind and they all fall into the ditch.
    Prophecising that prophecies will not come true is the only one that will.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 08:44
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Prophecising that prophecies will not come true is the only one that will.
    Actually sufficiently vague prophesies come true all the time. The secret to a good prophesy is:
    1. No deadline, therefore if it hasn't yet happened, it might someday.
    2. No contradicting conditions ie there is nothing that can happen that will rule out it happening in future.
    3. Sufficient vagueness that changing circumstances wont make it out dated.
    4. A reasonable likelihood of coming true by pure chance.
    5. Sufficient authority behind the speaker, that people actually take it seriously.
    6. Followers not well versed in co-incidence.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 10:483 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As you say the Noahic flood is not prophesy, it is Biblical 'history'. I find it interesting that mountains and valleys exist because of tectonic pressure over time, wind back time far enough and there probably wasn't much undulation of the Earth's crust, just a large flat area.

Now go to youtube and watch the videos of the Japanese tsunami and how s.

Edit: coincidentally I notice you have started other thread about something similar.
    Evidently you don't know much about the early history of Earth. It was BORN in catastrophe.

Accrued from the original cloud surrounding the sun as it was being born and swirled around by the changing orbits of the giant planets, there was an early bombardment of all the inner planets when those giants disturbed the orbits of the asteroid belt, the giant planets were not in the position we find them today. Most of the stars we have seen with giant planets around them find them close to their star and ours were probably the same till disturbances caused them to drift outwards, sending millions of giant bullets headed straight for Earth and the rest of the inner system planets.

This was before there was even a moon. The latest theory on the moon is a planet about the size of Mars slammed into Earth and the debris settled out to create the moon, and it turns out there is a connection with the asteroid Vesta and the moon, they seem to be made of the same stuff, showing they had similar beginnings.

So the Earth NEVER was flat, craters abounded by the thousands all over the planet creating a red hot liquid magma surface that finally settled down after millions of years of such bombardment.

The crust of the Earth started moving around and there were several episodes of all the continents coming together as one super continent and splitting apart only to come together again.

The early history of Earth was one of constant catastrophe after another and mountains formed quite early on and continue to develop as we speak and the continents are spreading apart and coming together in a slow dance as we speak, that much can be seen directly, for instance, the Americas and Europe are slowly spreading apart, which can be directly measured with GPS equipment, about an inch a year.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 12:51
    There have been no prophecies that came true. No matter what religion. Prophecies of doom are weapons.
    Actually, Daniel 9:24-27 has come true. It is a calendar for the coming of the Messiah the first go round. Critics agree that it is a calendar for the coming of the Messiah, but what some contest is its accuracy.

Oddly enough, those that should contest it actually agree that it points to the time of Christ, namely the Jews. In the Talmud they write that it points to the time of Christ, but least anyone be decieved, orders that laymen not calculate the prophesy. Because the Jews reject their Messiah they reason that Jesus tarries because of the sinfulness of Israel.

For myself, it is akin to the doubting Thomas sticking his hand through the side of Jesus to see that it is all real.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 12:57
    All the prophecies of doom in the last 2000 years have not come about and are not about to come about. The human race stumbles along, coming up with solutions to problems just in the nick of time, time after time. I think the current climate crisis is one of those. I may be wrong but if I am it is not religion that will kill us but our own stupidity.

Pr ...[text shortened]... om are just weapons of religion to hold people in sway with fear. Nothing more and nothing less.
    The prophesies in the OT all have the same common demoninator.

1. The God of the Bible is relevant in modern times.
    2. Isreal exists.
    3. The world's focus is on Israel and will involve the war to end all wars.
    4. The Jewish faith is still in existence.

These prophesies are asounding if you ask me. First of all, most ancient religions have gone way of the dodo, no longer to be practiced. Then add to the fact that it speaks of an ancient nation coming back to life that will be the world's focus and point of contention.

What are the odds? Let me guess, you don't give a damn.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 13:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    What are the odds?
    How about you working them out for us. I for one am not convinced that they are less than favourable ie that given the number of prophesies in the Bible and their vagueness, it is expected that some can be interpreted as 'valid'.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 13:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How about you working them out for us. I for one am not convinced that they are less than favourable ie that given the number of prophesies in the Bible and their vagueness, it is expected that some can be interpreted as 'valid'.
    That is why I used Daniel 9:24-27. Their is no doubt that it is a calendar and those who have expertise in interpreting the verbage and have no interest in calculating the prophesy to be valid have already done so.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 13:341 edit
    That is why I used Daniel 9:24-27. Their is no doubt that it is a calendar and those who have expertise in interpreting the verbage and have no interest in calculating the prophesy to be valid have already done so.
    I for one am not holding my breath till these so-called prophecies come about. You perhaps didn't notice the 2000 years that have gone by since Jesus' time and thousands more since Noah and the boys? And no world wide catastrophe has happened. That is a long time for nothing to happen old boy.

And the prophecies about the coming messiah, that is a self fulfilling prophecy. It is just as plausible JC knew about the prophecy and took advantage of that and convinced people he was the one. You don't have any evidence of miracles other than the words written in the bible and that is not real evidence, just words.

I can say anything I want, JC was an alien, JC was from the future and came back in a time machine and his miracles were just the application of very advanced technology. How can you answer THAT charge, eh?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 14:51
    So what are the odds that you have calculated?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 16:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So what are the odds that you have calculated?
    I don't know of any other ancient religions that have survived, except for maybe Hinduism. To know the odds one must know the myriad of ancient religions. I don't see it to be knowable.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 16:34
    I don't know of any other ancient religions that have survived, except for maybe Hinduism. To know the odds one must know the myriad of ancient religions. I don't see it to be knowable.
    Here is a list, several actually, of ancient religions alive today:

http://www.barbariankeep.com/religion.html
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 16:55
    So why are you asking us the odds if you know it cant be calculated?
    Suppose there were 10,000 religions, what would the odds be? And what are they the odds of?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 17:12
    The prophesies in the OT all have the same common demoninator.
    In what year was Daniel - and other OT books - canonized as far as the Christian "church" was concerned?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree