1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 10:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Remember that as volcanic activity diminishes the peaks become weathered.
    Are you ignoring my statement that early Earth was being bombarded by asteroids of various sizes and therefore Earth could never have been flat early on?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 20:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you ignoring my statement that early Earth was being bombarded by asteroids of various sizes and therefore Earth could never have been flat early on?
    No, just giving it due respect.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 18:08
    No, just giving it due respect.
    Nice. So you don't figure the Earth ever had significant asteroid/comet strikes early on. And why would that be?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 22:073 edits
    What's to think through? There is a reasonable probability that the earth's surface was far less mountainous than it is now.

For the record, I never agree with sonhouse.
    Actually, sonhouse is worth listening to when he's talking about music. (Have you heard any music by the guy he took his RHP name from? Go find some, it's worth it. On Wikipedia, search "Son House" for his bio.)

Religion, not so much.

Here's a great quote from Eddie James "Son" House, Jr.

“I’m sitting here playing the blues, and I play church songs too, but you can’t take God and the devil along together. Them two fellows, they don’t communicate together so well. They don’t get along so well. The devil believes in one way, and God believes in a different way. Now, you got to separate them two guys. How you gonna do it? You got to follow one or the other. You can’t hold God in one hand, the devil in the other one. You got to turn one of them loose. Which side do you think is the best? Well, I already was regenerated and born again. I was born in sin, now I got to regenerate myself to realize what a great creator is. I didn’t give up God.”

sonhouse: Don't know if you've seen this, but there is a great article on Son House on PureGuitar.com:

http://pureguitar.com/features/2012/12/03/son-houses-deep-mississippi-delta-blues/
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 22:12
    Nice. So you don't figure the Earth ever had significant asteroid/comet strikes early on. And why would that be?
    Yeah, actually there was MORE bombardment of the early Earth. (There was a lot more debris from the formation of the solar system.)

(And yeah, I know you know that. )
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 00:011 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, actually there was MORE bombardment of the early Earth. (There was a lot more debris from the formation of the solar system.)

(And yeah, I know you know that. )
    So how do you figure the Earth was ever flat? Hey Suz, do you play music?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 00:10
    So how do you figure the Earth was ever flat? Hey Suz, do you play music?
    I wrote the message you replied to, not DG. Yes, I butted my way into the conversation. πŸ™‚

I don't suppose the Earth was ever flat.

We've talked about music in the Culture forum. Remember? I play a lot of music. I can play flute, clarinet, saxophone, very little trombone, and piano. LOTS of piano, hehe. I prefer jazz and blues, but I'm familiar with classical as well.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 00:30
    I wrote the message you replied to, not DG. Yes, I butted my way into the conversation. πŸ™‚

We've talked about music in the Culture forum. Remember? I play a lot of music. I can play flute, clarinet, saxophone, very little trombone, and piano. LOTS of piano, hehe. I prefer jazz and blues, but I'm familiar with classical as well.
    Oh yeah, sorry. I was thinking that was Div for some reason. Watching tennis too muchπŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 06:28
    Probably because it is all speculation. We don't have a bunch of asteroid/comet stikes in modern history and we are still waiting for those prophesied in the Holy Bible, which you don't believe in anyway.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 06:33

The Holy Bible says that at creation the earth was covered with water before dry land was made to appear.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 09:52
    Sorry I was being flippant because I did miss your post.

I accept that all scientific evidence is valid and I understand that there were much increased levels of asteroid impact earlier on in the solar system's evolution. I also think that the earth was more homogenised i.e. far less mountainous than it is today, partly because it's surface was in a state of increased flux and partly because tectonic activity is a relatively recent phenomena. I feel this is a reasonable premise and you dismissing it out-of-hand says more about your mind-set than mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree