1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 17:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what year was Daniel - and other OT books - canonized as far as the Christian "church" was concerned?
    Why should I care? Here we have a text proven to be written hundreds of years prior to Christ which points to his coming.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Evidently you don't know much about the early history of Earth. It was BORN in catastrophe.

Accrued from the original cloud surrounding the sun as it was being born and swirled around by the changing orbits of the giant planets, there was an early bombardment of all the inner planets when those giants disturbed the orbits of the asteroid belt, the giant ...[text shortened]... lowly spreading apart, which can be directly measured with GPS equipment, about an inch a year.
    Yeah yeah we've all read basic science books about earth and moon and asteroids etc.

But you do not know that the earth's surface was not significantly less mountainous than it is now, and yes mountains are caused by tectonic movement and no the earth was not born with mountains.

Jeez, you can't even keep your PC free of bugs for more than 5 minutes, yet you are an expert of prehistoric geology.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 18:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    But you do not know that the earth's surface was not significantly less mountainous than it is now, and yes mountains are caused by tectonic movement and no the earth was not born with mountains.
    Its not at all clear whether your are agreeing with sonhouse or disagreeing and if you are disagreeing on what point.
    But your earlier statement
    ... wind back time far enough and there probably wasn't much undulation of the Earth's crust, just a large flat area.

Is definitely incorrect. Although I concede that it is remotely possible that the earth was largely flat, it is highly unlikely and certainly not probable as you suggest and your argument that it was simply showed that you didn't think it through.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 19:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why should I care? Here we have a text proven to be written hundreds of years prior to Christ which points to his coming.
    Were there any texts written prior to Christ that did not mention Christ? Were they canonized into the Christian bible too?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its not at all clear whether your are agreeing with sonhouse or disagreeing and if you are disagreeing on what point.
    But your earlier statement
    ... wind back time far enough and there probably wasn't much undulation of the Earth's crust, just a large flat area.

Is definitely incorrect. Although I concede that it is remotely possible th ...[text shortened]... as you suggest and your argument that it was simply showed that you didn't think it through.
    What's to think through? There is a reasonable probability that the earth's surface was far less mountainous than it is now.

For the record, I never agree with sonhouse.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 21:10
    What's to think through? There is a reasonable probability that the earth's surface was far less mountainous than it is now.
    That depends on what you mean by 'far less'. I would certainly say that your original description of 'just a large flat area' is very very improbable.
    If you look around the world you will be hard pressed to find any large flat areas. For all the land to be like that would require some specific phenomena to cause it and unless we know of one, it remains highly unlikely.

For the record, I never agree with sonhouse.
    Just for the fun of it?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 21:17
    [b]For the record, I never agree with sonhouse.
    Just for the fun of it?[/b]
    Call it a 'firewall'.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 21:18
    I would certainly say that your original description of 'just a large flat area' is very very improbable.
    I wouldn't.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 01:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Were there any texts written prior to Christ that did not mention Christ? Were they canonized into the Christian bible too?
    What is your fascination with canonized scripture? It is what it is. Why are you not discussing the scripture in question?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 05:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is your fascination with canonized scripture? It is what it is. Why are you not discussing the scripture in question?
    Just interested in what you may or may not claim is the objective reliability of your sources.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 05:28
    I wouldn't.
    Well then you haven't thought about it very hard.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 06:57
    Well then you haven't thought about it very hard.
    Yes, I have.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 12:20
    Yeah yeah we've all read basic science books about earth and moon and asteroids etc.

Jeez, you can't even keep your PC free of bugs for more than 5 minutes, yet you are an expert of prehistoric geology.
    You haven't seen the mountains on the moon? They did not come from tectonic activity. They came from asteroid strikes. Early Earth had the same strikes and would have had the same kind of mountains, but they would have been torn down and built back up again by subsequent strikes so early Earth could not have been flat.
    BTW, you would have bugs in your computer too if you had several teenagers using it.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 13:51
    Yes, I have.
    Give some sort of reasoning as to why you think it probable that the earth was flat.
    Keep in mind that there is no reason to believe that there hasn't always been tectonic activity, and that every planet or moon that we have looked at to date has mountains and valleys.
    Can you suggest a process that would lead to a very flat earth?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 16:54
    Give some sort of reasoning as to why you think it probable that the earth was flat.
    Keep in mind that there is no reason to believe that there hasn't always been tectonic activity, and that every planet or moon that we have looked at to date has mountains and valleys.
    Can you suggest a process that would lead to a very flat earth?
    A giant alien mountain scraper, wheels 100 km in diameter and axles 300 km wide with some REALLY humungus road scrapers hanging down?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree