1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    24 Mar '13 15:26
    All the prophecies of doom in the last 2000 years have not come about and are not about to come about. The human race stumbles along, coming up with solutions to problems just in the nick of time, time after time. I think the current climate crisis is one of those. I may be wrong but if I am it is not religion that will kill us but our own stupidity.

    Prophecies of doom are just weapons of religion to hold people in sway with fear. Nothing more and nothing less.
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Mar '13 15:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Prophecies of doom are just weapons of religion to hold people in sway with fear. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Actually its more complicated than that. Oddly enough there is a psychological attraction to Domesday scenarios. Witness all the movies and tv series that have nothing to do with religion or holding people in their sway. We all secretly look forward to the Zombie apocalypse. Of course if it actually happened we would not be so happy, just as we probably wouldn't be very happy in Middle Earth, Narnia or down the rabbit hole. Even lying on the beach on a tropical island is not nearly as pleasurable as its made out to be.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86336
    24 Mar '13 15:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    All the prophecies of doom in the last 2000 years have not come about and are not about to come about.
    Do you mean the end of the earth prophesies? If so which ones are you referring to and from which religions?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    24 Mar '13 17:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you mean the end of the earth prophesies? If so which ones are you referring to and from which religions?
    He is from the USA, so obviously he only knows about those from the Christian religion that goes back 2000 years.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    24 Mar '13 23:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you mean the end of the earth prophesies? If so which ones are you referring to and from which religions?
    There have been no prophecies that came true. No matter what religion. Prophecies of doom are weapons.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    25 Mar '13 00:29
    I have talked to Christians who say that the fate of those people who avoid Hell bifurcates. Some will be in a Heaven in some undefined place, not a part of this physical Universe, and some will be walking and breathing on this 3D rocky planet we call Earth, though they will be "perfected."

    Astronomers think that some oddly-shaped galaxies are the result of two galaxies "colliding" in the last few billion years.

    In the view of the type of Christian I am talking about here, will God keep at least our own galaxy, the Milky Way, free from galactic collisions forever? Will he replenish the hydrogen that the Sun needs to keep burning forever? Will he prevent stars, at least in the Milky Way, from going nova or supernova?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    25 Mar '13 01:091 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I have talked to Christians who say that the fate of those people who avoid Hell bifurcates. Some will be in a Heaven in some undefined place, not a part of this physical Universe, and some will be walking and breathing on this 3D rocky planet we call Earth, though they will be "perfected."

    Astronomers think that some oddly-shaped galaxies are the r ing forever? Will he prevent stars, at least in the Milky Way, from going nova or supernova?
    Colliding galaxies. That's apocalyptic weaponry on a very large scale!

    I have heard that when two galaxies collide, the likelihood of actual physical collisions is very small. It seems hard to believe that at least some objects won't at least be put on different paths, but maybe stars that have planets and other objects going around them dominate their orbits.

    This link has some photos.

    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=351
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Mar '13 02:58
    The following is a link to a website that tries to explain one point of view of the prophecies of gloom and doom, if you wish to refer to them that way.

    http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-how-the-world-will-end/
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86336
    25 Mar '13 07:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There have been no prophecies that came true. No matter what religion. Prophecies of doom are weapons.
    You're not making a particularly intelligent debatable point here, rather just stating your opinion:

    I don't believe in prophesy, therefore all prophesies are false and those appertaining to the end of the world are there to control people; I don't have any examples because I don't need them because all prophesies are false..
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    25 Mar '13 07:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    All the prophecies of doom in the last 2000 years have not come about and are not about to come about. The human race stumbles along, coming up with solutions to problems just in the nick of time, time after time. I think the current climate crisis is one of those. I may be wrong but if I am it is not religion that will kill us but our own stupidity.

    Pr ...[text shortened]... om are just weapons of religion to hold people in sway with fear. Nothing more and nothing less.
    What about starship troopers? does that count, love that film ...
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    25 Mar '13 09:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You're not making a particularly intelligent debatable point here, rather just stating your opinion:

    I don't believe in prophesy, therefore all prophesies are false and those appertaining to the end of the world are there to control people; I don't have any examples because I don't need them because all prophesies are false..
    You don't seem to be able to refute the main point, that those prophecies are simply weapons of mass religious destruction for the specific purpose of instilling fear in gullible people to build up the religion to further the political ends of said religion.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86336
    25 Mar '13 21:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You don't seem to be able to refute the main point, that those prophecies are simply weapons of mass religious destruction for the specific purpose of instilling fear in gullible people to build up the religion to further the political ends of said religion.
    Sorry I thought your "main point" was that there are no prophesies that have ever come true, which is open to potential scrutiny and debate should you provide some examples, rather than your other "main point" which is just conjecture.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Mar '13 23:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You don't seem to be able to refute the main point, that those prophecies are simply weapons of mass religious destruction for the specific purpose of instilling fear in gullible people to build up the religion to further the political ends of said religion.
    In the New Testament, Jesus is recorded to have referred to the Old Testament Scripture of speaking of Himself. I believe that is true based on Old Testament prophecy that only Jesus could have fulfilled. The main one that convinced me was the prophecy of the seventy weeks of years in Daniel 9:24-27. There is proof that the book if Daniel, including this prophecy was available to the people of Israel before Jesus appeared on the scene and it foretells when the most Holy anointed one (the Messiah) would appear and be cut off as an atonement for the sins of all that would believe and put there faith and trust in Him. If Jesus was not that one referred to, then that prophecy is false, because it is much too late for it to be fulfilled now. I am convinced that Jesus is the one.

    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    25 Mar '13 23:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Sorry I thought your "main point" was that there are no prophesies that have ever come true, which is open to potential scrutiny and debate should you provide some examples, rather than your other "main point" which is just conjecture.
    I didn't say NO prophecies have EVER come true. I said no APOCALYPIC prophecies have come true. End of the world stuff. World wide floods which is nonsense. There was a world wide ICE age about 700 million years ago but there is no evidence for ANY kind of world wide flood, which wasn't a prophecy anyway. End days crap is just an ongoing fear campaign for the specific purpose of shaking up gullible weak minded individuals who cannot think for themselves but have to be led by the hand with any cockamamie story anyone comes up with. Look at David Koresh, Jim Jones, Masada, and the like. Weak people following despots.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Mar '13 23:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I didn't say NO prophecies have EVER come true. I said no APOCALYPIC prophecies have come true. End of the world stuff. World wide floods which is nonsense. There was a world wide ICE age about 700 million years ago but there is no evidence for ANY kind of world wide flood, which wasn't a prophecy anyway. End days crap is just an ongoing fear campaign for t ...[text shortened]... up with. Look at David Koresh, Jim Jones, Masada, and the like. Weak people following despots.
    Jesus foretold of those people and said not to follow them. But many don't read and study the scriptures for themselves, but rely on false teachers to guide them. As Jesus said, it is the blind leading the blind and they all fall into the ditch.
Back to Top