Are you a member of the church of the New Testa...

Are you a member of the church of the New Testa...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

Originally posted by knightmeister
I've got news for you trumpet .I think you have got yourself involved in a cult /sect of the church. I have had involvement with the Church Of Christ and know something of what they are about. (I am a Christian by the way) The thinking style is similar to Jehovah's Witnesses. All cults proclaim exclusivity based on dubious grounds and they also appeal ...[text shortened]... ust be a bit shrewd and don't believe everything they tell you , think for yourself.
Christ said Himself that there are few that are on the path to heaven, and many on the path to hell (Matt. 7:13-14). How is it that the church of Christ is a cult? Because we want to get back to the Bible and the Bible alone and dispose of all creeds, traditions of men, and other extrabiblical material? Does this not sound like a noble plea--Back to the Bible?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
08 Oct 07

Originally posted by Treytrumpet1
Christ said Himself that there are few that are on the path to heaven, and many on the path to hell (Matt. 7:13-14). How is it that the church of Christ is a cult? Because we want to get back to the Bible and the Bible alone and dispose of all creeds, traditions of men, and other extrabiblical material? Does this not sound like a noble plea--Back to the Bible?
It does , but do you know about cults and sects and the way they work? Do you understand the psychology of it? When I got partially involved in the CofC other Christians I knew and respected spotted the signs (and I did too to be honest). The rigid thinking , the obsession with small details , the dismissive approach to other ways (because they are a threat) , the lack of being encouraged to think for oneself...and here's the big one.......if you leave the threat of hell hangs over you ....fear ...fear...FEAR.

I learnt that God doesn't live in a church , he lives in your heart and that's far more important.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Oct 07

If you want an unabridged list of what things we must and must not do, then read the New Testament. As for the selling of all possessions and distributing them, where in the Bible is there a command for Christians to do that today? The people who were baptized on the Day of Pentecost after Christ's resurrection, were added to the church (Acts 2:38-47) ...[text shortened]... dren of God.

Why would that be a prerequisite for salvation? Is that what you are asking?
There are no commandments that apply ONLY today and NOT then ... or ONLY then and NOT today... are there ? The commandments are in the NT and they applied equally well then and now. You are picking and choosing those that you like only and even making up some that you fancy.

Here is the commandment by Christ.

Matt 10:21 Then Jesus ....said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, SELL WHATsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Show me a commandment that disallows musical instruments.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Oct 07

I've got news for you trumpet .I think you have got yourself involved in a cult /sect of the church. I have had involvement with the Church Of Christ and know something of what they are about. (I am a Christian by the way) The thinking style is similar to Jehovah's Witnesses. All cults proclaim exclusivity based on dubious grounds and they also appeal ...[text shortened]... ust be a bit shrewd and don't believe everything they tell you , think for yourself.
Good advice .. I doubt he is strong enough to take it though.

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

It does , but do you know about cults and sects and the way they work? Do you understand the psychology of it? When I got partially involved in the CofC other Christians I knew and respected spotted the signs (and I did too to be honest). The rigid thinking , the obsession with small details , the dismissive approach to other ways (because they are a t ...[text shortened]... rnt that God doesn't live in a church , he lives in your heart and that's far more important.
First of all, I do think for myself. I am simply letting the Bible speak for itself. The church that belongs to Christ is not a cult. Christianity has always, and always will be narrow in it's scope. Truth in and of itself is narrow.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
08 Oct 07

we want to get back to the Bible and the Bible alone and dispose of all creeds, traditions of men, and other extrabiblical material? --trumpet-----

Don't you see? This mentality is so all or nothing. It reminds me of when Hitler wanted to burn all the books and art. I would agree with you that the creeds etc need looking at and tradtion can get in the way , but surely you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater if you claim that these churches are not really Christian.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
08 Oct 07

First of all, I do think for myself. I am simply letting the Bible speak for itself. The church that belongs to Christ is not a cult. Christianity has always, and always will be narrow in it's scope. Truth in and of itself is narrow.
If you said you were leaving tomorrow and wanted to follow Christ individually , what would your elders say?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
08 Oct 07

The church that belongs to Christ is not a cult. --trumpet---

Tell me which ones are cults then and how you might know them? I'm not trying to be funny with you I'm trying to help you , but right now you don't know that you need help with this , that's the clever bit about it. If you know the CofC is not dodgy then how do you define a church that is? What do you think of the JW's for example? Their truth is also very narrow , 144,000 narrow! Even narrower then yours!

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

Originally posted by Rajk999
There are no commandments that apply ONLY today and NOT then ... or ONLY then and NOT today... are there ? The commandments are in the NT and they applied equally well then and now. You are picking and choosing those that you like only and even making up some that you fancy.

Here is the commandment by Christ.

Matt 10:21 Then Jesus ....said unto him, ...[text shortened]... e up the cross, and follow me.

Show me a commandment that disallows musical instruments.
When Jesus said that to the rich young man, first, they were both living under the Old Testament Law, not the New Testament. The New Covenant came into effect after the death of Christ (Heb. 7:11-12; Heb. 9:16-17). Second, that was a command only to the rich young man; He nowhere commands all Christians today to sell all possessions. But, since you obviously believe that is what the Bible teaches, have you sold all of your possessions today?

Also, when the early Christians in Acts 2 sold their possessions, there was no such command to do so. They did it of their own accord.

About the question for a verse on instrumental music being prohibited... We, as Christians, must go by what the New Testament authorizes. "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." (Col. 3:17). Now, the word, "name" in the original carries along with it the idea of authority. We understand that today also; if I were to say, "Stop in the name of the Law!," you would understand that i mean stop by the authority of the law. Now, as for instrumental music, the New Testament nowhere authorizes the use of mechanical instruments of music in the worship of God. There simply is a command to sing (Eph. 5:18-19; Col. 3:16). Therefore, that excludes anything else. Just like when God said that the priests would be from the tribe of Levi. He didn't have to say, "not from Judah, not from Gad, not from Dan, not from Naphtali!" When God said that the priestly tribe was to be Levi, he excluded all other tribes (Hebrews 7:15). When God said, "sing," He excluded all other forms of music.

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

we want to get back to the Bible and the Bible alone and dispose of all creeds, traditions of men, and other extrabiblical material? --trumpet-----

Don't you see? This mentality is so all or nothing. It reminds me of when Hitler wanted to burn all the books and art. I would agree with you that the creeds etc need looking at and tradtion can get in t ...[text shortened]... wing out the baby with the bathwater if you claim that these churches are not really Christian.
That's what Jesus claims, not me. Matthew 15:13.

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

The church that belongs to Christ is not a cult. --trumpet---

Tell me which ones are cults then and how you might know them? I'm not trying to be funny with you I'm trying to help you , but right now you don't know that you need help with this , that's the clever bit about it. If you know the CofC is not dodgy then how do you define a church that is ...[text shortened]... 's for example? Their truth is also very narrow , 144,000 narrow! Even narrower then yours!
The Jehovah's Witness organization doesn't follow the Bible. They deny the Deity of Christ. They believe in an earthly kingdom. They were also founded by a man. Yes, they are narrow, but that doesn't make them right. The simple fact that the church of Christ is narrow doesn't make it right either. However, the fact that we follow the Bible and the Bible alone does.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
08 Oct 07

That's what Jesus claims, not me. Matthew 15:13.
There is a reason you came across me on this forum , I believe God wanted us to discuss and debate. This has not happened by accident . If I'm right the Holy Spirit will be up to something. I want you to look at this website. If you are right , there's nothing to fear , but...if not then it's worth a look. Remember , one thing ..I am NOT against you . You are my brother and what I am doing is for you not me.

http://www.chocd.org/

S

Moves
08 Oct 07

There is a reason you came across me on this forum , I believe God wanted us to discuss and debate. This has not happened by accident . If I'm right the Holy Spirit will be up to something. I want you to look at this website. If you are right , there's nothing to fear , but...if not then it's worth a look. Remember , one thing ..I am NOT against you . You are my brother and what I am doing is for you not me.

Don't be so sanctimonious in your 'assistance', god can't stand a shmuck.

T

Chattanooga, TN

Moves
08 Oct 07

I promise I will look at it, but I need you to be open minded also, okay? What if I'm right and you are wrong? Will you change? I guarantee, if I'm wrong about this, I'll change. Because I want to be right with God. What do you think?

S

Moves
08 Oct 07

That sure is a host of questions to answer and I don't mind answering them. However, I just want to know where you stand: Is it your opinion that there exist no absolutes?
Yes, it is. Though to clarify, I believe there are logical truths, such as 'all unmarried men are bachelors' and 'sons have mothers' etc. Analytic truths if you will.