At what order of complexity...

At what order of complexity...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Jul 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
God gave Beavers teeth for cutting wood too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMgyADwmJeU
I take it the creationist solution is to use a beaver. 😛

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jul 14

Originally posted by C Hess
I take it the creationist solution is to use a beaver. 😛
Obviously something designed for the purpose is better than hoping something will evolve from something with no purpose.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jul 14

Obviously something designed for the purpose is better than hoping something will evolve from something with no purpose.
Maybe something good will evolve from RJ Hinds, eventually.

Ro

Moves
25 Jul 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Actually, something has. RJHinds was a primary reason that I chose to read up on evolution. It has helped me to explain evolution to my son far better than I could have done before. I have also discussed it with colleagues at work as a result, and recommended the same reading to them.

As I believe in the butterfly effect, this is good news, though not for RJ.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jul 14

Hope and pray.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jul 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Actually, something has. RJHinds was a primary reason that I chose to read up on evolution. It has helped me to explain evolution to my son far better than I could have done before. I have also discussed it with colleagues at work as a result, and recommended the same reading to them.

As I believe in the butterfly effect, this is good news, though not for RJ.
What is your job? How many folks at work poo poo evolution?

Ro

Moves
26 Jul 14
4 edits

What is your job? How many folks at work poo poo evolution?
None. The discussion was not about is evolution true or not. It was about how to best rebut silly arguments like 'if man is descended from apes, why are there still apes' and such like. Or there must be a watchmaker if there is a watch etc.

It was not the belief in evolution we were discussing, but about passing on the best information and evidence to our kids to defend against people who argue against it.

Moves
26 Jul 14
1 edit

It was about how to best rebut silly arguments like 'if man is descended from apes, why are there still apes' and such like. Or there must be a watchmaker if there is a watch etc.

It was not the belief in evolution we were discussing, but about passing on the best information and evidence to our kids to defend against people who argue against it.
"Why evolution is true" by Jerry A. Coyne is an excellent read for just this purpose. I love that book.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jul 14

None. The discussion was not about is evolution true or not. It was about how to best rebut silly arguments like 'if man is descended from apes, why are there still apes' and such like. Or there must be a watchmaker if there is a watch etc.

This sounds like it was about putting forward the best of the propaganda supporting the theory of evolution or actually EVILution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jul 14

"Why evolution is true" by Jerry A. Coyne is an excellent read for just this purpose. I love that book.
It is just more propaganda on evolution for those that are ignorant of the truth. Only the wicked would love that book.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jul 14

It is just more propaganda on evolution for those that are ignorant of the truth. Only the wicked would love that book.
Well then, I am going to HAVE to read it then.

Moves
27 Jul 14

No, it's a compilation of facts that completely destroys the typical creationist arguments.
Plus, it's written in an entertaining, accessible way.

Ro

Moves
27 Jul 14
4 edits

Yes, in fact that was the book recommended to me by twhitehead on the Science Forum, a request which was prompted by another asinine RJ posting.

It is an excellent book, one I have offered in the past to send for free to any person on this forum who does not believe in evolution, providing they agree to read it with an open mind. Not one taker so far.

Galveston75 was the most amusing, in that he said he would have taken up the offer, but the 'only reason' he wouldn't was because he didn't want to give out his address to a stranger. After we went round the houses with me suggesting ways he could get the book at my expense without me knowing his address (even offering to PayPal him the cash, and trusting him to buy the book) he eventually confessed that he did not want to read it because it was 'just a bunch of made up crap'. Though he had just spent numerous pages of posts claiming he was open-minded on the issue.

It must be depressing for RJ to know that, for all his endless work and effort, the only tangible result has been to get Mr Coyne some free advertising and extra sales for his work, and to help arm the next generation to resist YEC nonsense. If he is doing God's work, he could hardly be doing it worse.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jul 14

No, it's a compilation of facts that completely destroys the typical creationist arguments.
Plus, it's written in an entertaining, accessible way.
He makes many mistakes, especially with so-called whale evolution.

WHALE EVOLUTION - WHY THE DECEPTION ?

Whales - Designed or Evolved?

Moves
27 Jul 14

He makes many mistakes, especially with so-called whale evolution.

WHALE EVOLUTION - WHY THE DECEPTION ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G5vAc5_VJo

Whales - Designed or Evolved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mMa3UORbJ4
I looked at the beginning of the first video (silly me for thinking you'd produce some look-
worthy links), and I have to say it's getting embarrassing at this point. In order for a
creationist to win an argument these days, he must cut out all the replies. You know, when
the replies in a debate has to be cut out, it usually means you're on the wrong side of the
argument.

Just saying. 😕