1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:56
    The argument that says "there is no God" is void of meaning. Whereas the argument for a creator is full of life and gives us purpose.

God is a life giving spirit. The message from God to us is one of hope and love for all who accept his gift.

If one believes that there is no eternal life, then that one has nothing to live for beyond his or her immediate material existence.
    What a drag!
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    The argument that says "there is no God" is void of meaning. Whereas the argument for a creator is full of life and gives us purpose.

God is a life giving spirit. The message from God to us is one of hope and love for all who accept his gift.

If one believes that there is no eternal life, then that one has nothing to live for beyond his or her immediate material existence.
    What a drag!
    Rubbish.
    The knowledge that this life is all that I have fills me with the incredible desire to make as much of it as I can.
    The notion that life requires a purpose is laughable, but if you must have one, why must it come from somewhere else - I get my purpose, my meaning, from within.
  3. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:30

What a drag!
    How pathetic.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:38
    Originally posted by amannion
    Rubbish.
    The knowledge that this life is all that I have fills me with the incredible desire to make as much of it as I can.
    The notion that life requires a purpose is laughable, but if you must have one, why must it come from somewhere else - I get my purpose, my meaning, from within.
    I agree entirely. Also, I can't believe in something just because it would be convenient or nice or make life easier. I think that is a strong factor that leads many people to becoming religious, but it only works as long as you are not aware of it. As soon as you become aware that your religious beliefs are mostly for your own convenience, it doesn't work anymore, and the beliefs will have to hold up to reason. For me they didn't.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:16

What a drag!
    Under your worldview, about 2/3 of all people are going to suffer eternally.

Now that's a true 'drag'.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:56

What a drag!
    My immediate material existence must be far more fulfilling than your's.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 02:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    My immediate material existence must be far more fulfilling than your's.
    It is because you are a Christian.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 03:00
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It is because you are a Christian.
    Am not! Am not! Take it back!
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 10:07
    I don't understand the dogma of atheism.
    How can anyone prove to themselves (let alone anyone else) the non-existence of God?
    From a logical point of view the agnostic standpoint makes much more sense.
    My own opinion - there may possibly be a God (or Gods etc) but Him/Her/it/they would most likely be nothing like anything conceived of by organised religion.
    Religion is more a cultural/geographic issue.
    Most people have little choice in belief or non-belief because the effects of indoctrination during childhood are so strong.

The only system that makes any rational sense to me is sceptical agnosticism.
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 10:09
    Atheism upsets you, so rather than showing an actual logical argument against it, you use this as an argument for god?

The first time my dummy (pacifier in American I think) was taken off me, I apparently cried for two days. Is that a good argument for me to be walking around in public with a dummy nowadays? No, that's shameful, just like religion should be.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:00
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    How can anyone prove to themselves (let alone anyone else) the non-existence of God?
    My own opinion - there may possibly be a God (or Gods etc) but Him/Her/it/they would most likely be nothing like anything conceived of by organised re ...[text shortened]... are so strong.

Tell me, are you agnostic about unicorns? Or dragons? Or flying spaghetti monsters?
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:19
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Tell me, are you agnostic about unicorns? Or dragons? Or flying spaghetti monsters?
    They may exist but the likelihood is remote based on lack of evidence.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:33
    My own opinion - there may possibly be a God (or Gods etc) but Him/Her/it/they would most likely be nothing like anything conceived of by organised re ...[text shortened]... are so strong.

Atheism IS skeptical agnosticism. They are one and the same.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Atheism IS skeptical agnosticism. They are one and the same.
    Err... no.

Atheism positively affirms the non-existence of God or theism in general

Agnosticism means simply that these matters are unknowable based on current knowledge & that it is impossible to either prove or disprove such beliefs.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:59
    Err... no.

Atheism positively affirms the non-existence of God or theism in general

Agnosticism means simply that these matters are unknowable based on current knowledge & that it is impossible to either prove or disprove such beliefs.
    You are incorrect. It is commonly assumed by people who don't know any better that atheists are limited to those who positively affirm the non-existence of god. But this is quite false. Most atheists (myself included) think it is impossible to know whether god exists, but they see no reason to believe that he does. Therefore, as the case for god has not been demonstrated, belief should be withheld from the proposition. Atheism is a non-belief in the positive existence of god, and not a positive belief in god's non-existence. Once you comprehend this position, you will see that your so called 'agnosticism' is really only a subset of atheism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree